• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The Princess was clever for spoiler[using the illusion thing to talk openly to Slaine, but a bit short-sighted to reveal herself. She should have kept the disguise on until she could find some way out of his control. It was an honest mistake, she could reasonably expect him to have just gone along with her orders.
]

As for Cruteo Jr., spoiler[I see his role as likely being an escape for the Princess, he'll be in the right place at the right time for her to jump ship to him, and he seems like he'd be loyal to her (as his father was). I see three factions emerging by the finale, the Terrans, the Slaine-led "peace via total domination" faction that wants to wipe them out, and the Princess-led "harmony" faction, which will either directly side with the Terrans against Slaine, or the Deucelion group will defect from the Terrans to her side.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
The Princess was clever for spoiler[using the illusion thing to talk openly to Slaine, but a bit short-sighted to reveal herself. She should have kept the disguise on until she could find some way out of his control. It was an honest mistake, she could reasonably expect him to have just gone along with her orders.
]

She wouldn't have even had the spoiler[gun] if that were the case. She spoiler[ordered him to stop but also held a gun up to him which made it a threat not an order.] Of course we all know that she would never do it (at least not yet based on how the first season's OP seems indicate she will at some point) but there is a big difference there.

Anyways this was a decent episode. But does anyone else get the feeling that Slaine's underling is planning something? For some reason I've been getting that vibe from him. The way he praises Slaine sounds........I don't know fake sometimes?

I really wonder if they are going to play up the irony by having him betray Slaine in a similar fashion to the way he betrayed Saazubum. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad plot twist but still hope it doesn't happen Sad

Still didn't really care for the fight. I thought it would be a little bit more suspenseful but at at this point I'm not seeing our main characters ever being in real danger till the final battle. Might as well call Inaho's eye "Godly" at this point for that last feat he pulled off. It would be one thing if the spoiler[targets weren't moving but the fact he had to calculate where they would be moving from a bunch of different mechs which were all in various different positions is just...........yeah.]

Wonder whyspoiler[ Lemrina disguised herself as the princess and then pretended that she was going to kill her.] That transition to the scene Asseylum and Slaine had made little sense to me.

I sometimes wonder if the writers are bringing these new characters to the story as they go. I mean spoiler[Cruheto's son] should have been introduced WAY back in season 1 or at the very least lightly mentioned when his father died. Now here we are with only 3 episodes left he's finally showing his face and is also affiliated with Slaine's father who is still for reason know nothing about despite his influence on the story. Lemrina got similar treatment since it's very strange we didn't hear from her at all in season 1 but at least she's been an established and influential character from the beginning of season 2.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Mutating algorithms? The eye optimizes itself according to some preset goals and using preset tools, sure, but the fact that it can learn and grow independently at all is grounds to classify it as some type of intelligence, or at least more sophisticated than some machine Inaho interfaces with. He doesn't just have more processing power, there's something else in there he doesn't interact with. And I think that's cool, certainly justifies why this thing is so experimental and underused in the first place.

Loved Asseylum's performance and Lemrina's method of getting the truth out of Slaine, but I was disappointed that Asseylum didn't have the guts to shoot. To me, you shouldn't point a gun if you aren't prepared to take action. Ah well, it's still very understandable, and at least we've sown the seeds of conflict for Slaine; now he can't be hopelessly obsessed with the princess and take over the world without making concessions. I'd say he needs to get a grip on understanding what he wants in order to actually get it, and I highly doubt he'll be capable of making that choice before we're done.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyways this was a decent episode. But does anyone else get the feeling that Slaine's underling is planning something? For some reason I've been getting that vibe from him. The way he praises Slaine sounds........I don't know fake sometimes?

Harklight's screen presence has seemed duplicitous the moment he was given dialogue and cemented when he swore undying fealty to Slaine after Saaz' death.

We are given his sob story, but just as well it doesn't seem he is a "big picture" guy, that means he isn't beyond screwing up the situation just to "get back" at the aristocracy(I dunno, murdering one or both of the princesses while they are forced to be on vid com with the Emperor?)

But as always this is Aldnoah Zero, so maybe his fate is to be just another victim of Inaho just to show off how "KEWL" Inaho's eye is for the 50th time.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She wouldn't have even had the spoiler[spoiler[gun]] if that were the case. She spoiler[spoiler[ordered him to stop but also held a gun up to him which made it a threat not an order.]] Of course we all know that she would never do it (at least not yet based on how the first season's OP seems indicate she will at some point) but there is a big difference there.

A fair point, but that makes her even more shortsighted. There's only so far you can go trying to order people around at gunpoint within their own facilities. Again, the wiser course of action would be to have gotten away to someplace with more forces directly loyal to her.

Quote:

He's a hard read, since we never see him away from Slaine. It could be that he's scheming something of his own, that's certainly possible. He could also just be a two-dimensional toadie, and there's no more to him than meets the eye. It could go either way.

Quote:

Wonder whyspoiler[ spoiler[ Lemrina disguised herself as the princess and then pretended that she was going to kill her.]] That transition to the scene Asseylum and Slaine had made little sense to me.

She was presumably still in Seylum disguise because that's her "traveling clothes" and she was no longer in her own space. As to what happened after that, I hope we get a flashback on that, but I could see how it could have worked out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 10

I kinda lost the # of times spoiler[Inaho fought against Slaine. Seemed more like stalemate to me this time.Funny part is how that robotic eye took over Inaho's mentally with programmed commands. They will probably meet again from what I assume...perhaps the finale.]

I guess we'll be seeing some spoiler[flashbacks next time] based on that ending. Really hope they give Rayet some time to shine next time in combat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
To throw this out "Why is Cruhteo Jr here?" spoiler[my money would actually be on a reveal that Crutheo Jr was actually supposed to have an arranged marriage with Asseylum (secretly arranged with the Emperor no less), this would make some sense as there aren't exactly many other "kingdoms" so the closest thing would be to have a political marriage with a trusted noble's offspring once he has come of age (it is established that in relative terms Jr had only recently gained his own title as a Lord) to prevent more illegitimate heirs (Lem), this translates to the nature that Jr was supposed to marry into the family and would be potentially the future emperor.]

This is poignant as the scene ended with Jr finding Asseylum, and while Jr might not want to kill her just as well he is no simple "loyal lord" if the above case becomes more than wild speculation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

Well we finally got confirmation that spoiler[Inaho and Asseylum love each other]. As much as Inaho's spoiler[augmentations taking over in a time of need], being like a certain scene in the movie spoiler[Alien], it was still spoiler[kind of sweet].

A lot going on, and if we really are lucky it looks like spoiler[Cruhteo Jr.'s loyalty to the royals may mean he will help her in terms of joining the Deucalion].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11:

The big twist: spoiler[Princess Asselyum plans to marry but not to SLAINE. (although I'm not surprised there given everything he has done so far...)]

spoiler[Action was mild this episode as it seemed to focus more on built-up. Will we see a big climatic fight next time? Who will live/die? Will Yuki and Inaho have that dinner they promise if they get back? Find out next time!]

Should be fun. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Political marriages] seem to solve everything, don't they.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, that and spoiler[cyborgs].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I can only laugh at what just happened.

Please see my previous post if you want to see me have ESP, but just as well a guy with a smile and good looks doesn't mean he is on the up and up.

It took a whole season of plot to do so and Inaho is officially "tolerable", but just as well that is a significant failing where as a viewer I shouldn't have second thoughts on where I stand with a main character and an entire sub faction that is our "heroes".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

Asseylum is finally spoiler[saved and it is by Jr who helps her to tell Slaine she has had enough of following his hollow words]. Asseylum's plans to get her grandfather to spoiler[end the war are stopped when she discovers that not only does he refuse to do so, but the reason is that is insane, a man with a broken mind]. Her grandfather spoiler[expressing pain of losing his loved ones that has made him bitterly against Earth, and then into moments of his initial hope in using Aldnoah to better mankind and not be in the wrong hands].

With Asseylum spoiler[hearing those words she finally time for her to make a stance], for her to spoiler[start her war for peace]. Asseylum acts to spoiler[disrupt Slaine's campaign in the grandest way possible, by naming herself Empress, she is not getting kicked around as someone else's goal, she is taking full charge]. It could be seen that Cruhteo Jr. is spoiler[winning the princess prize], but this is largely her decision to spoiler[do a political marriage to attain her goal], she must still spoiler[love Inaho, but this is something she needs to do even to protect him].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12 aka finale:

Well, the fight itself was okay but they overused the OST. It almost feels like the same songs played every episode.

Anyways, it looks like spoiler[Slaine got what he deserved in the end and is spending his days in solidatory now after losing to Inaho this time. Some of the scenes reflected a bit of the ending from season 1 with a gun only that Inaho is the one who wields the trigger this time; however, he spares him..]

Meh ending. It felt like they really rushed into this with spoiler[Asselyum's role and then also the battle itself didn't live up to the hype.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I propose renaming this show Aldnoah.Nothing. That is exactly how it ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 89 of 90