• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Lol, if they came out with some random mind controller at this point then that would "stop making narrative sense." I took his eyes in that scene to just be reflective of his own personal conflict at his actions, that he knew he was being unfair to Lemurina. It was the anime equivalent of a haunted stare.

But it wouldn't be random, since they've shown it several times now, once in a very pointed way back in the first season. He always has pupils in his past, and never has them in any scene since he was first taken into Asseylum's household. Lemurina's got nothing to do with it.

You can't seriously think such a "twist" is beneath this series anymore, can you? I certainly don't think that failing to follow through on it would be. We'll just have to wait and see which stupid road they pick. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Well empty eyes does not only mean control, and can also mean that they are dead inside, that at those moments he feels completely empty inside because he knows that he is making some pretty bad choices.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
^ True, but as I said, he has had pupil-less eyes all the time, except in those flashbacks. Has he been soul-less and dead inside throughout the entire series, even when he was Asseylum's trusted childhood friend?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The true mastermind:
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You can't seriously think such a "twist" is beneath this series anymore, can you? I certainly don't think that failing to follow through on it would be. We'll just have to wait and see which stupid road they pick. Smile

I don't know, narratively it would be a complete ###-pull. There's no Chekhov's gun here, no character that has displayed mind control capabilities or anything like that. If he is being controlled, by whom? Lemrina? Eh, plausible, but doesn't seem to fit. The only other person I could think of is Cruteoh, miraculously surviving the previous season, but even that would be a bit random. Besides which we've seen no characters in the series with actual super powers, just mechs with superpower equivalents, but these are large scale mech v mech abilities, not interpersonal things like mind control.

It's always possible you're right on this, but I personally would not give it good odds, and if they did do this I would view it as a cheap cop-out that they have not earned.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've just noticed that Harklight also has no pupils (his eyes are so tiny it's hard to see). As I understand it, like Slaine he was a sort of servant class to the Knights, so maybe they do something to them to assure their loyalty before allowing these low-born servants into the fold?

Whatever their reason for this character design, I'm expecting it to be revealed when we finally learn what Slaine was doing in that rocket pod that Asseylum found him in. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
I see where you are coming from, but I really do think that it is just a stylistic choice. I would be interested to see a list of what these sort of design choices may exist on what characters in the series though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
If you go back to episode 8, it's really blatant, in a "LOOK!! Notice this!!" kind of way. The very first image we see after the OP is a close-up of Slaine's eye with a pupil. Then we're shown where he is, and we get another chance to see that his eyes are different before he's kissed, and then a bit later, there is another close-up of his eye, with a pupil, in which Alessyum's face is framed in reflection. Cut to Slaine being tortured and virtually the same close-up of Slaine's eye, now sans pupil, with Cruhteo's face framed in reflection. Comparison

About 2/3 of the way through that episode, they do this again, in reverse - we're shown Slaine's face (no pupils), head tilted down, while he's being whipped, then immediately cut to the flashback of his face in the identical framing, head tilted down, where he clearly had pupils. That's a message, not just a style choice. And since they've shown it to us several times now, it means something. Smile

Btw, if you look verrrrry closely at the two aides in the cell during Slaine's torture scene, they too do not have pupils. I'll bet none of the other aides/servants do either, but their eyes haven't been put center stage the way Slaine's have been.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
this anime is setting up for Slaine to die.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
this anime is setting up for Slaine to die.

It would only be a twist if he dies in like the next couple episodes, if he does at or pretty much a couple episodes till end of season it wouldn't be surprising in the least.

spoiler[Unless the twist is he (and a good chunk of the cast) gets killed by eldritch abomination Aldnoah aliens that have been hinted at to exist.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

So spoiler[I suppose princess Asseylum is remembering more and more regarding Inaho. I wouldn't be too surprised if she recovers memories when she made friends with others on Earth as well up to the moment before she was shot.]

spoiler[The action didn't impress me a whole lot. I was expecting a full out war this episode but maybe more to come soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
S2 Ep 8
spoiler[Inaho noticeably smiles... and promptly becomes the creepiest scene for the episode even with Slaine pretty much plotting Lem's long term demise.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I think this episode also proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Eddelruttio can't be the real mastermind. Wink Mazuurek certainly had her outmaneuvered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think this episode also proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Eddelruttio can't be the real mastermind. Wink Mazuurek certainly had her outmaneuvered.

Don't need a magic eye to know when she's lying, that's for sure.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this episode certainly made clear what Slaine's goals are and it isn't a surprise. spoiler[I always knew he was acting in his interests for Asseylum but it clarifies, at least that's how I interpreted it, that he doesn't really care for the welfare of the Martians. he's all for protecting the Princess though that action seems to appear to be setting up his fall.]

In regards to the battle, spoiler[I was expecting something more grand but it'll suffice. I was hoping to see how Inaho would manage against 3 Martian Kataphracts but I expected too much out of the Earth forces. It's nice to see them be defeated but somehow the fighting was disappointing, It was too one-sided (though I guess this complaint can sort of be applied to Inaho sort of one-man-armying the enemy).]

As for Lemrina, I'm certainly sympathizing more and more with her character with each episode. Though, I still can't stop laughing at her hairstyle. However, spoiler[it seems like Slaine no longer has much use for her and that'll come back to bite his ass if the end of this episode is to imply anything.]

Overall, this story adds a lot of narrative to A/Z -- particularly the Martian side (the Terran has gotten the weaker side of the storytelling) -- and, I think, strongly builds up events for the rest of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 87 of 90