• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Until shown otherwise, I am going to lean with the nature that Trillram was the exception in regards to how the Martian forces act as he was on a black ops mission to cover up his faction's dark deeds.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

spoiler[Ha! Called it. It was a really good episode I agree. Especially satisfying to see the crazy martian pilot assassinated at the end after Slayn found out that her own people were trying to kill the princess.]

spoiler[The plan the students came up with was pretty ingenious too, hopefully other people will pick up on it and humanity will be able to fight back a little.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Holy crap. That has to be one of the most absurd and unrealistic timelines I've ever seen in an anime that is (apparently) trying to be serious. There is just no way that people would change that much that fast. And, what? Communication doesn't exist in their version of the 20th Century? They just keep sending people when they don't have the means to support them on Mars? The whole succession of events is riddled with implausible scenarios. Sorry, a couple of years is nothing for matters of this scope, and a few decades still not nearly enough time. As Key said, it's entirely too compressed.

Now, if this had taken place over the course of a couple of centuries, I would be much more understanding. But twenty years, and then another 14? 7 years to "clean up" after a huge chunk of the Moon is blasted away? Absurd.

It's still a decent enough show, but it's foundations, IMO, are deeply flawed, and whatever enjoyment I receive from it will come despite that.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Until shown otherwise, I am going to lean with the nature that Trillram was the exception in regards to how the Martian forces act as he was on a black ops mission to cover up his faction's dark deeds.

Wasn't he talking with that other Sauzbaum guy who was basically suggesting they should stab their own commander in the back by attacking his castle? Also said commander guy Cruhteo's most prominent scene so far is canning one of the main characters in the face and telling him to know his place like the scum he is. So far all the evidence is in the corner of the Martian characters pretty but just being written as easy to hate antagonists. It gives a show that is otherwise trying to play itself off as deathly serious, smart and savvy a really immature and kind of pretentious feel. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this sort of thing happen though, particularly with an Aniplex backed production where it seems like their number one priority is always generate as much hype and buzz over a show as fast as possible and worry about the other small details later after getting the chance to see some feedback and figuring out what it is people want to see more of. I get the feeling that's why so many character so far have this kind of blank slate feel to them where they make them look cool and do cool looking things, but there's really not much you can say about them that would help the show pass the Red Letter Media test right now.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Lol that timeline, cold war ending in 1975:

USA-Hey guys, we've found an alien technology on the moon that could revolutionize our technology.

Soviet Union-Well clearly we have to stop fighting and make peace so that we can all share this technology with each others. We will tear down our wall and embrace capitalism at once.

And there's more, 340 000 colonist send to mars in 1980… how did they get them on the moon? I doubt all the rocket that we ever build in the world would be enough to send 340 000 person on the moon. Did they reverse engineer a teleport gate and build one from the earth to the moon (In 3 year no less)?

Armed rebellion on the moon in 1982… 2 after they were send there, whoever wrote that never took a history class in there life.

Yeah I'm just gonna ignore that "official" timeline and convince myself it's just bad fan fiction, cause boy its dumb!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
i hope this MC is going to be the next Lelouch.

no, if you were paying even the slightest attention the MC is not even close to Lelouch situation.

I could be wrong, but I think the poster is hoping this MC will spoiler[share Lelouch's fate.]

This. Hoping for something has nothing to do with paying attention to the anime. FenixFiesta, I'm not sure why do i have to pay attention.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

This. Hoping for something has nothing to do with paying attention to the anime. FenixFiesta, I'm not sure why do i have to pay attention.

The MC storyline (so far) and characterization are significantly different from Lelouch.

Lelouch was a scene eater and was overly ambitious from the get go, Inaho is stoic to a level that many have questioned if he has any emotions let alone some sort of overarching drive.

It is a broad stroke comment to compare the leads that is effectively in the same manner as someone saying "all mech series are exactly the same" when clearly they aren't for easily observable reasons.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Holy crap. That has to be one of the most absurd and unrealistic timelines I've ever seen in an anime that is (apparently) trying to be serious. There is just no way that people would change that much that fast. And, what? Communication doesn't exist in their version of the 20th Century? They just keep sending people when they don't have the means to support them on Mars? The whole succession of events is riddled with implausible scenarios. Sorry, a couple of years is nothing for matters of this scope, and a few decades still not nearly enough time. As Key said, it's entirely too compressed.

Now, if this had taken place over the course of a couple of centuries, I would be much more understanding. But twenty years, and then another 14? 7 years to "clean up" after a huge chunk of the Moon is blasted away? Absurd.

It's still a decent enough show, but it's foundations, IMO, are deeply flawed, and whatever enjoyment I receive from it will come despite that.

Oh please don't play the "timeline is not realistic because I say so" card otherwise we could tear to pieces every mecha anime ever made including the oh so mighty Gundam. Tell me again how realistic is it to build in the arc of 70 years starting in 2060 hundreds of colonies that can self sustain a population of several million humans each ? And how rapidly can you send BILLIONS (more than 7 billions) to live in space in 70 years ? That's around 100 million per year.
No amount of rockets could do that. And yet the UC is taken to be the most realistic timeline of the Gundam metafranchise. Ridiculous isn't it ? Twisted Evil
The Aldnoah.Zero timeline is ok. It's an alternate timeline to the one we live in. A timeline conditioned by the discovery of alien artifacts on the moon and mars. These are the premises of the show. If you don't accept them why the hell are you still watching it ?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

The MC storyline (so far) and characterization are significantly different from Lelouch.

Lelouch was a scene eater and was overly ambitious from the get go, Inaho is stoic to a level that many have questioned if he has any emotions let alone some sort of overarching drive.

It is a broad stroke comment to compare the leads that is effectively in the same manner as someone saying "all mech series are exactly the same" when clearly they aren't for easily observable reasons.

Wow, why are you having so much trouble understanding his original point? He's not comparing the leads at all. He was making a joke. He obviously doesn't care for Inaho so basically what he is saying (by invoking Lelouch) is that (warning Code Geass spoiler ahead) spoiler["I hope he dies."]

I explained this earlier and Spotlesseden confirmed above and you still don't understand. You know what's useful when participating in discussion threads?

1) Reading.

2) Understanding what you read.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Knights of Mars fall from the skies. Spurring on their giants made of steel. In order to eradicate the humans of Earth. This is ALDNOAH.ZERO. Creators of overwhelming power have gathered to make this epic tale a reality. Having once worked on the TV anime series Fate/Zero, Gen Urobuchi, writer of supreme skill who plumbs the deepest recesses of the mind; Ei Aoki, who exceeds his viewers' expectations by light years with his visual expressions that are both gorgeous and audacious, enter the ring once more. Animation production will be by A-1 Pictures, as well as TROYCA, which Aoki himself is involved with. In addition, Takako Shimura is also on board as original character designer. The delicate bearing of her characters painfully depicts people living through an interplanetary war. Plus, the mecha designs are overseen by cutting-edge I-IV. As for the music, Hiroyuki Sawano will add an air of profundity. What they are creating is striking action, world-building where no detail has been overlooked, and an almost palpable sense of the terror of war, and personal drama resulting from the intertwining of genuine, earnest emotion. This will be an utterly new robot anime that both sticks to the tried-and-true, yet also is unlike anything seen before. ALDNOAH.ZERO. This show is declaring war on us humans of Earth. You must go out and meet it.

Official series synopsis. I had to come and read this thread to see what the show's about rather than why I should in awe about why it exists or something.

"air of profundity" For a true Sci Fi feel, the music will be performed live in a vacuum {wait for it...}

"This will be an utterly new robot anime that both sticks to the tried-and-true, yet also is unlike anything seen before." Right. We're Deconstructing Gurren Lagann's Reconstructing Evangelion Deconstructing of, let's just say, Gundam. Or we're stealing unabashedly from Nadesico?

"This show is declaring war on us human of Earth." Leaving the humans of ******* feeling left out, ehh Nadesico?

"You must go out and meet it." Just the show or its challenge of war? I will crush this show! One episode at a time...

I haven't seen it yet or anything but with a buildup like this, no matter what happens, I can't help but laugh.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Oh please don't play the "timeline is not realistic because I say so" card otherwise we could tear to pieces every mecha anime ever made including the oh so mighty Gundam. Tell me again how realistic is it to build in the arc of 70 years starting in 2060 hundreds of colonies that can self sustain a population of several million humans each ? And how rapidly can you send BILLIONS (more than 7 billions) to live in space in 70 years ? That's around 100 million per year.
No amount of rockets could do that. And yet the UC is taken to be the most realistic timeline of the Gundam metafranchise. Ridiculous isn't it ? Twisted Evil
The Aldnoah.Zero timeline is ok. It's an alternate timeline to the one we live in. A timeline conditioned by the discovery of alien artifacts on the moon and mars. These are the premises of the show. If you don't accept them why the hell are you still watching it ?

Actually pretty darn realistic, especially compared to this. 70 year ago we had no computer, no rocket, no idea about genetic and most of modern physic was still just random writing, look at us now, in 70 year things will be very different (if we don't get wiped up by global warming).

And you don't actually need to send billions of people in space, you just need a small number that will reproduce in the spam of 70 year. 70 year ago there was less than 3 billion human on earth. UC timeline isn't the most realistic timeline ever, but it's so much better than aldnoah.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
I have no particular issue with it. As soon as you add ancient alien technology into the mix, a lot of progress is going to be accelerated.
dudebro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Oh please don't play the "timeline is not realistic because I say so" card otherwise we could tear to pieces every mecha anime ever made including the oh so mighty Gundam.

A timeline doesn't have to be realistic, it only has to be good enough.

Quote:
If you don't accept them why the hell are you still watching it ?

The timeline is incidental and most viewers (at least in the West) are never even going to read it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Episode one watched and, oh my stars and little comets...

Vers {... this better not be because of Voyager or something...} Princess "Asylum"? Nothing, no clues, no huge bells ringing anywhere for anyone? There's symbolism, there's foreshadowing and then there's outright naming the character after the plot...

Security detail being aided by the Student Council of {presumably} local military school. No worries, they're just in charge of traffic control...

Inaho - likes eggs. That is his personality. I had to rewind the bit where he asked his older sister what eggs she would have wanted. Also, he's the top student so we all know he's totally not a**hole material. He's well past that point.

When the spoiler["atomic bomb" went off in New Orleans {oh, oh, immediate response for a supposed "sudden" assassination, where have I not seen that before?},] I was bored with it, until the pompous music started and I broke out in laughter. We're rooting for the humans, right?

Oh, the pomposity, I mean, humanity.

{I have to remember how xenophobic Japan is and watch the show with a "human not born on Earth = evil alien" mindset. But I didn't have to do that with Nadesico. or spoiler[Majestic Prince. Or Flower of Rinne].

Wait. Where will the originality begin to kick in?}
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't give any credence to that ridiculously overblown paragraph you quoted earlier, Animegomaniac. It's just jacked-up advertising hype. That kind of thing is the reason why I generally don't read pre-release promotional materials for titles beyond basic premise descriptions.

And I don't think any of us (or those giving it good scores in the Preview Guide) were ever claiming that this was original, just well-executed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 90