• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, if he hadn't done what he did, some people would have gotten hurt and killed, and he would have had to live with it, so... Is letting people die in front of you when you could have saved them easier to live with if you were just following orders?

There's no guarantee that he can save them and its not his decision to make. In the first episode its obvious that the enemy has better mechs and his military unit is trying to escape. So he disobeys orders, gets his mech destroyed, pulls his team mate into a combat that they will probably lose and get himself and others killed. So right there, he's destroyed a valuable resource, alerted the enemy to his units movements and probably killed his team mate (except we know that a conveniently placed advanced mech is there that he can jump into and turn the tide, but the other things still stand). The next disobeying of orders almost got the advanced mech taken by the enemy and potentially risked everyone else, but hey let's hand wave all of that.

No watching people die in front of you if you could save them (or not) is not easier to live with by just following orders. However, they missed an opportunity to talk about that and deal with it. It could have been something about sacrifices and the cruelty of war and having to keep going even if its a crappy unfair situation. That might have been interesting depending on how it was handled. But no instead we get insubordination, putting the lives of your unit at risk, possible loss of strategic resource, and maybe the failure of a military strategy as ok with no serious repercussions. If that works for you fine, but not me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should have quoted you so you could better understand exactly what I was commenting on.

One-Eye wrote:
What would have been interesting is if the MC pulled one of his stunts and some people got hurt or killed and he had to live with it.

I don't see a qualitative difference between doing nothing because orders and watching people die, or doing something and watching different people die. He still has to live with people dying due to his actions or inaction, and I don't see how your scenario would give him anything different to ponder, unless they went the route of his intervention against orders causing more harm without doing any good. That would give him something to grapple with.

I don't disagree with your additional scenario of crap happening in war, which could've been interesting, but that's not what you originally proposed.

As for what works for me, this series isn't high on the list. I'm giving it a few more episodes to see if they can do something noteworthy, but right now it's on life support.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
It's about dang time Tokimune got slugged for being an idiot. He's had it coming for a long time now.

And while the Captain should have been harsher on him I agree with most of what he said. Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with what Tokimune did (at least morally). He wanted to save his comrades and that is in no way a bad thing. But the problem is that he never thought about how his actions effected his team. He was constantly putting them in danger by acting on his own accord. What would have happened if he died? Or died while giving away his team's position (first episode)? He's been extremely lucky that he's made it this far. And I wouldn't have problems with his actions if he actually thought them through for once. If he actually had a solid plan that he revealed to his teammates before blindly disobeying orders I'd actually like him much more. I can only hope that this is the start of him possibly doing something like that from now on and not just going back to his moronic ways.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yeah, this just flat-lined for me. It feels more like a high school camping trip than a military unit. Over and out.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 5

Yeah, this just flat-lined for me. It feels more like a high school camping trip than a military unit. Over and out.

It's almost as if it was written for a young teenage male demographic, hmmm...

Back to the episode, in practice it was part 2 of the "off duty" segment, the brass does not think highly of Samonji and potentially has sent the group on what could be intended as a mission to besmirch (if not outright sacrifice) Squad 8, spoiler[the situation comes to a head with the group finding itself seemingly abandoned by there allies for the operation with a series of explosions dead ahead in the shadow of the night.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Jesus my sides. I think I've fallen a little bit in love with him too Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
^
Best line in the show. Looking forward to the coming battle. I wonder if Hot Head will actually be able to follow orders this time?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Genius high ranking officers: "You know that squad that only just managed to get a retreat, lets spoiler[just throw them back into some random conflict that we don't know if they are equipped for. The squad after all is made up of what appears to be characters like gossipy girls, a rookie piloting a prototype that could shift the war, and commanding officers that do not do a good job at discipline]."

I can't understand the military decisions in this anime, clearly someone must have said that actual battles would be a terrible way to test a prototype. And what was the plan, to spoiler[confuse the enemy by telling them that they are attacking and creating light for their forces to get hit]? I can only think that this anime is trying to be like Full Metal Panic, and failing a lot. We have a prototype in the hands of a teenager, but Sousuke was an exceptional soldier who followed orders, and the mood of their soldiers could be a little different because Mithril was made of special forces. In some ways it feels like an ill informed parody, like the one line in this episode trying to fight the cliché.

BTW: I don't entirely blame him for what happened with the misunderstanding, the girls share some for sticking their noses into it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't understand the military decisions in this anime

The character establishment that the brass only care about there OWN glory over even losing highly regarded strategic positions was established in the FIRST EPISODE, so do not act surprised when the "incompetent Generals" acts poorly as commanders.

As for our main cast, they were thrown into an already difficult battle and had to improvise, either the rest of the battalion had faulty flares spoiler[or they were betrayed]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
As for our main cast, they were thrown into an already difficult battle and had to improvise, either the rest of the battalion had faulty flares spoiler[or they were betrayed]

My opinion is that spoiler[it was a trap, that they knew that they would try such plan and waited for a chance to get the prototype. Maybe the other groups were done in.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Arandas's military has to rank among the most incompetent in Anime history. I was going to write a big long post about the many ways this is demonstrated, but it just grew too big so I did away with it. I'll just say that it completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief. This episode only reinforced that, and I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep watching this as a result.

Also, is the MC both mentally and emotionally stunted or something? Holy cow, dude. Show some discretion. Yes, it was funny, but also really idiotic.

This show has moved to "on the bubble" status with me, I'm afraid.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Arandas's military has to rank among the most incompetent in Anime history. I was going to write a big long post about the many ways this is demonstrated, but it just grew too big so I did away with it. I'll just say that it completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief. This episode only reinforced that, and I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep watching this as a result.

While the series might not go into detail about it, I am of the mind that the situation is some sort of indirect reference to the warring States period where sons of the privileged class would be the only ones allowed to lead an army (IE people who might not have extensively studied in actual combat and only know tales about "the glories of war")

To say it again with different words, this is a mediocre series at its best, while it doesn't do anything extensively poorly it (so far) hasn't done anything exceptionally well.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta,

I could see that being the case near the beginning of a war. But apparently they've been fighting for quite some time. War has a way of weeding out incompetence, because those kind of people end up dead, or killing so many people that they are removed. If this was the beginning of the war, then I could buy this sort of thing far easier than after they've been fighting for many years (WWII only lasted for around 6 years).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Also, is the MC both mentally and emotionally stunted or something? Holy cow, dude. Show some discretion. Yes, it was funny, but also really idiotic.

And people wonder why harem leads choose to remain oblivious to girls' feelings...

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
FenixFiesta,

I could see that being the case near the beginning of a war. But apparently they've been fighting for quite some time. War has a way of weeding out incompetence, because those kind of people end up dead, or killing so many people that they are removed. If this was the beginning of the war, then I could buy this sort of thing far easier than after they've been fighting for many years (WWII only lasted for around 6 years).

Remember that they were hiding safely behind their Great Wall until recently.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
And people wonder why harem leads choose to remain oblivious to girls' feelings...

The "Clueless male lead" is the opposite extreme. Really, couldn't he have asked normally, rather than over a loudspeaker so that most of the camp could hear him?
Quote:
Remember that they were hiding safely behind their Great Wall until recently.

No, they weren't. If you watch the beginning of the first episode again, I'm pretty sure they mention that they had been *pushed back* to the Great Wall, meaning that the front once extended past that. However, until the events of the first episode, that bastion had never been breached. I'll get around to re-watching it to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that is what was said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12