• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Either way we see the high ranked dudes running away when things get hairy. That's a good way to stay alive.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
True, but a poor way to run an army. I guess they don't have to explain their actions to government leaders, because otherwise I can't see how they're still in command.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I would be surprised if the government leaders weren't as corrupt and cowardly. It's certainly not a well run country, which is why they're losing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Confirmed, the brass was trying to kill off our protagonists squad.
Considering that the series was basically lamp shading that some sort of Reboot issue might occur, it comes to no surprise that the Argevollen was stranded in the middle of a battlefield (it still doesn't remove the nature that the situation feels overly forced) ]
[/b]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well, that was incredibly frustrating. They totally drag out spoiler[Jamie getting to Argevollen and then when she finally does activate it, the show completely skips over SHOWING us how awesome the mecha is in favour of presenting the aftermath.] Yep, gripping stuff.

Are we EVER going to see the Argle-Bargle actually use a weapon to blow shit up???
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
That was... pretty underwhelming. Is it wrong to actually wish for this nation to go under? spoiler[Units sabotaging one another? Really?] This is making less and less sense as time goes on. I'll give it one more episode before I pull the plug on it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

"Is there anyone out there?"
"keep trying."
"Okay. Anyone, is there anyone there?"

Wow that just smells of terrible into making the characters actually sound professional. Like how hard would it have been to throw in some army jargon, have squad names, or ranks and such?

And that is just an appetiser to what was really wrong with this episode. The thing is that the pacing/animation was atrocious, I have not actually seen a modern anime be that bad unless it was unfinished, and that clearly did not seem to be the case. It became incredibly obvious that they just wanted to extend any scenes they could, leaving pretty large unnatural pauses between people talking. And it is not like there was no room for things to do, in fact they spoiler[skipped over the entire fight with the Argevollen], so it seems pretty clear that the goal was saving in animation, this is from a number of scenes just being still frames, acting like the video was freezing between characters talking.

The episode did have a lot of noise going on, in my opinion just to distract from the actual action on screen. I could almost call one scene involving spoiler[a canon] as artistic in the minimalist work, but with how most of the episode was, I would probably be giving it too much credit. You know what the sad thing is, a lot of the breaks looked like they were meant to be cuts to internal monologue, and that probably could have totally saved the episode, if they decided to play up the voice actress they could have had her get erratic in her internal monologue to portray her thoughts. They could have so made the extensions to be her adrenaline rushes and cuts from some action to be her tunnel vision.

And lets finish off with apparently the spoiler[commanding officer from the other squad pretty much screwed them over]. They may be the good guys, but I totally repeat that this is the worst military I have seen in any anime, even So Ra No Wo To managed to make a squad made of young girls feel more believable. maybe the good guys in this anime really should give up?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
so it seems pretty clear that the goal was saving in animation, this is from a number of scenes just being still frames, acting like the video was freezing between characters talking.

Fundamentally, the majority of anime productions find ways to save on production costs wherever they can.
That is the basis on how the majority of anime works is by saving money on frames, A large number of "action oriented" series do this for a good chunk of in between shots even on the official release version.

The only real difference is that this is a series some viewers DON'T care to watch.

Quote:
The thing is that the pacing/animation was atrocious, I have not actually seen a modern anime be that bad unless it was unfinished
M3 is the one this year that I couldn't continue watching because of horrible character build up, but each his own.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Well at least M3 did not leave ridiculous breaks between people talking with no change to expressions, still frame scenes having sound effects to say something was happening while nothing visually was happening. And I would say that there was also some pretty good use of atmosphere in M3, which I found clumsily done here. M3 took its damn time to actually move forward with its characters so that one character came off super hatable before they became an integral part, only now seeming to have a web of interesting facets.

This week totally could have been a time for this show to make Jamie an interesting character we could hear the thoughts in her head, but the lack of actual insight kind of hurt it.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, if we are comparing this to M3 already, at least in this show all the girls aren't completely useless, either crying and/or pining for Holy Akashi all the time...i suffered through 11 eps. of M3 without seeing any sign of improvement, if it really got better now, well sorry, that was way too late...

As for this show, it's far from being great or even especially good but at least it doesn't make me hate all of its characters (yet) and since i don't care nearly enough about "realtistic portrayal of the military" in a mecha show than some of you guys seem to do, i'm still feeling mildly entertained. Wink
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I should clarify, Merida, that my issue isn't so much with the portrayal of the military per se, but rather that portrayal within the context of the fictional world presented to us. And I do know that I take the matter more seriously than most. But if you like the show (or are at least not repulsed by it), then you like the show, and that's totally fine with me. But for me, my ability to "suspend disbelief" is being stretched to the breaking point due to this issue as well as a few other ones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Well, if we are comparing this to M3 already, at least in this show all the girls aren't completely useless, either crying and/or pining for Holy Akashi all the time...i suffered through 11 eps. of M3 without seeing any sign of improvement, if it really got better now, well sorry, that was way too late...

The military officer and the tester of mecha, two major female characters don't try to fight for his attention and are plenty capable, I would include the female but she is still invested in helping the brother her ex-boyfriend (practically was a fiancé). So when you made that comment on M3 were rationalising all of the female characters on what, 3 people? that is a single love triangle and someone and someone was largely non combative and came into fruition a few episodes ago for character development?

I will agree that it has been a little slow but M3 does have some characters tsundere scientist, standard female team leader, and gossipy girls.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator: i counted at least 4 annoying and/or useless females in M3 which was the majority, at least by the time i dropped the show...and it's not like i'm saying that the males were much better, except for that pretty entertaining mad scientist, maybe. But we're going way off-topic here...

@Tuor_of_Gondolin: fair enough. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't use M3 as the low bar, especially now when the show's really good.

Dai Shogun, on the other hand... That show didn't even have any real animation period.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't use M3 as the low bar, especially now when the show's really good.

It is a valid observation if a show can make the viewer rage quit "before it gets good", even if M3 somehow became amazing it doesn't remove the ill aligned starting episodes which are supposed to set up enough audience intrigue to keep them hooked for the entire run.

To say it again, I highly doubt Argevollen is going to become great, but on the same token I doubt it will become insufferable for my tastes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12