• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Of course. Where did I ever say or imply anything different? I'm not trying to convert anyone to my viewpoint, I'm simply expressing it. Isn't that sort of the point of discussion threads?

Fine but I just find it strange to say this comedy is better because it made me laugh more. It's not really a critique just the nature of comedy.

Although Azumanga Daioh the series you compared this too is also one of my favorites.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I really hate it when people tell me a show isn't for me just because I have a minor issue with it.

As I said the gag with Chiyo always failing to get her feelings through to Nozaki can only be funny for so long. Why would me not finding ONE joke funny suddenly not make the show for me? The show doesn't even focus on that aspect very much. I really don't understand that reasoning.

I simply find it to be a personal flaw with the show. I find awkward romance funny. Chiyo and Nozaki are basically the same as Hakuya and Kobeni from Engaged to the Unidentified (Hakuya being the near emotionless blunt guy with Kobeni being a spunky competent girl with self confidence issues). Even with the theme of the jokes being manga related I don't see how they couldn't insert that comedy with character pairings. The show has characters who are bad when it comes to relationships. How would that not work? I'm still not seeing any evidence against this besides "bah it would get in the way" which is not true at all.

Simply put "romantic comedy" to me means there will be romantic sparks between people namely the main characters with large doses of laughs. Relationships that are COMPLETELY one sided isn't romance. If the other person never even notices the feelings that the other character has how is that romance? It's about as bullshit as The irregular having a romance tag even though Tatsuya never even notices or cares about the advances of the girls.

If it was just tagged comedy then I wouldn't care. But when it's tagged with Romance as well I want MOTHER [expletive] DAMN ROMANCE! Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, *I* love you, big boy. Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that Nozaki Kun is a 4-koma manga. I guess it is designated as romantic comedy but with the nature of 4-koma I think perhaps maybe your expectations were off.

Although it should be noted that the most popular couples in the series are not Sakura/Nozaki who I believe are in 3rd place after Seo/Wakamatsu & Kashima/Hori.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I really hate it when people tell me a show isn't for me just because I have a minor issue with it.

You're welcome.

leatherhead333 wrote:

If it was just tagged comedy then I wouldn't care. But when it's tagged with Romance as well I want MOTHER [expletive] DAMN ROMANCE! Mad

Well, go sue CR or whoever tagged it as romance then because they've obviously tagged it wrongly...*shrugs*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Lol, spoiler[Nozaki and his ideas from the experiences he witnesses in real life is just priceless. The weather might of been bad for this episode but I found the comedy to be strong as ever.]

Next week should be fun too with spoiler[Seo getting some spotlight. Speaking of Seo, I wonder how long she was under that cold rain...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Sakura is the same idiot as Nozaki.
Those two really are for each other.
Everything is a manga story opportunity for Nozaki.
At least Kashima didn't have any umbrella problems.
Yuzuki saved the day with her umbrella LOL
Wasn't Nozaki supposed to be carrying the umbrella? ROFL
Miyako mangaka was still having tanuki problems..
There is no way she could get rid of her tanuki crazed editor.
Good episode.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
I knew that the editor would spoiler[like the terrible idea], and knew that Sakura would spoiler[like the other Tanuki-kun], who for some reason is a name that sounds familiar.

Going back to the other mangaka was a good change of pace. I wonder how much the writer puts herself into that character?
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I really love how they were screaming as they ran through the rain at the beginning. Somehow that just really made that little scene for me.

Poor Miyako, still having to put up with Maeno. I know there are bad editors in real life, but surely someone as bad as he is would have been fired, or at least reprimanded, by now? But of course, it's all for the sake of comedy, so I shouldn't try to put real life into it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to more Seo next week, too. Partly because we haven't seen a ton of her yet, so I haven't gotten as bored watching the same gags over and over again as I have with our more used characters, but also there is just something interesting about her character design to me and something appealing about her rough edges combined with what seems like a basically good nature.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:
For some reason, I really love how they were screaming as they ran through the rain at the beginning. Somehow that just really made that little scene for me.

There's something about screaming characters running back and forth that's just so friggin funny. It's even funny when Pokemon does it. Laughing

Nozaki doing that thing with his jacket reminded me of something along the lines of the Addams Family. LOL he looked so weird. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Nozaki doing that thing with his jacket reminded me of something along the lines of the Addams Family. LOL he looked so weird. Anime hyper

And yet I have actually done that before thinking along similar lines, I probably looked pretty dorky. Strangely even had people nickname me as Lurch before, because I am tall and I had a habit of not smiling much. Oh my god, now that I think about it I remember one family picture where it looks like I am sneering.

It's okay, I am not that much like Nozaki. Yes I have always been tall, an introvert, have a history at sucking at understanding people, held an interest of writing stories with a heroine. But I totally suck at drawing so evens out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm looking forward to more Seo next week, too. Partly because we haven't seen a ton of her yet

I've kept wondering why they would hire a seiyuu of Sawashiro's fame to voice such a limited role. Makes me think she'll get some focus in the remaining weeks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Something I forgot to mention in my last post: I've never been super pleased with the physical manhandling that Short Guy gives Prince Girl (sorry, too lazy to try to figure out their character names). Again, this is a personal quirk because the manhandling is on the order of Wile E. Coyote getting an anvil dropped on his head - of course you're not supposed to take it seriously. But it has still bugged me and it bugged me particularly in the last episode where spoiler[Short Guy grabs Prince Girl from amid all the umbrellas and starts dragging her on the ground behind him in the rain while she has a sickly look on her face.] Already I'm not laughing.

I think part of my negative reaction is that unlike Coyote, Prince Girl does not deserve the abuse. So to me it reads like a friendly, cheerful girl being picked on by an obnoxious little tool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think part of my negative reaction is that unlike Coyote, Prince Girl does not deserve the abuse. So to me it reads like a friendly, cheerful girl being picked on by an obnoxious little tool.

She is purposely getting the girls to fuss over her because she likes the attention, he the punishes her because it causes problems for others. I have been a little shocked over it, a guy should not treat a girl like that, but by the look of it she is not too worried, certain scenes seem to show that she actually likes that attention that her fans wouldn't, punishment for mucking around. Otherwise I have come to see it just like what you see with physical tsundere types (you know the ones that tend to be flat, and their actions only mask their real intent.

I can stand watching a guy get mercilessly whipped for not doing much of substance, I can stand what Hori does to Kashima. it is not quite abuse so it ends up being a reversal of the original thing, even if it does kind of break social rules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12