• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This series has been a delightful surprise, especially since I wasn't quite as won over by the bike in the first episode as everyone else seemed to be. But they've blown all my expectations out of the water.

The misunderstandings kind of remind me of the jail scene in My Cousin Vinny, and I love that kind of clever use of assumptions and the limitations of language.

Great stuff. Never thought I'd be laughing out loud at apple boxes. Very Happy
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you just have to feel sorry for Nozaki's poor assistants, what with his complete inability to give proper directions (for backgrounds anyway) and his nonsensical solutions to his artwork's problems spoiler[such as the boxes.]

Kashima is quite the idiot, but her heart's in the right place. I'd actually like to see her and Hori act together on stage, I think it'd turn out pretty good. Surely there must be some role for him, spoiler[other than the princess.] Very Happy

spoiler[And now I'm left with the urge to stand on a wooden box...] Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Laughing
When you laugh so hard that you get tears in your eyes, you know there is something great about the comedy. From misunderstanding the spoiler[importance of the shoujo manga to the guys to, not too subtle hints to allow cross-dressing, and the whiteboard scene]. To awful spoiler[directions, characters swaping places around a table, and the boxes]. Finishing off with one spoiler[majestic bull].

If you are not watching this, then you are really missing out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
While I was in Japan, shortly before the summer season began, a friend recommended I checked this out, but I had so much good stuff on my plate already I decided I'd wait it out. After seeing all the praise this show was getting, though, and now with more time in my hands, I snatched a CR day pass and used it to marathon and catch up with it. This is seriously good stuff, easily tramples any romcom in recent memory (and most regular comedies in general). Really glad I decided to give it a shot, I find myself laughing histerically every episode and the characters are all extremely funny and likable, and none of them seems stereotypical. I just really love it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
If i had to pick the best comedy of the season, i'd be having a really hard time choosing between this show and Barakamon.

Fortunately i don't have to choose and can enjoy both series equally (and i'm literally enjoying every minute of every episode!), but i'll probably fall into the depths of despair once they are both ending... Crying or Very sad
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I hear you! We have these two amazing SOL comedies airing back to back, my life will feel so empty because both of them should finish around the same time! (plus Haikyuu. Oh God. The end of this season'll be so painful). Although if I had to pick, I'd say Nozaki-kun is better as a comedy and Barakamon works more as a feel-good show (that makes me laugh oh so much)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I hear you! We have these two amazing SOL comedies airing back to back, my life will feel so empty because both of them should finish around the same time! (plus Haikyuu. Oh God. The end of this season'll be so painful). Although if I had to pick, I'd say Nozaki-kun is better as a comedy and Barakamon works more as a feel-good show (that makes me laugh oh so much)

I actually don't consider Nozaki-Kun SOL at all. It's a complete farce and doesn't really represent real life in my opinion, more a parody.

Barakamon is definitely more slice of life with a dash of comedy. The comedy though is more a reflection on real life.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, even though characters like Mikoshiba and Kashima are kind of over-the-top, I find the situations and conversations in this much more realistic -in the sense that I could easily picture something like that happening in real life- than, say, K-ON or Tamako Market
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of those two I'm glad that the two "sparklingly charming" characters got to have a chat. Unfortunately Kashima was to strong for miko Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm clearly not as enamored of this show as most of you. I find Barakamon way funnier. I'm not sure I even consider this a rom-com. It seems more just a comedy. I don't sense they are going to develop any of the relationships beyond what we have already seen: Sakura crushing on Nozaki but never admitting it and Kashima and Hori continuing to misunderstand each other.

I hope they introduce some new characters and/or elements soon because right now it seems they are just playing minor variants on stuff that has already been introduced.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I share your concern about the romance not going anywhere as well Blood. This is one of the reasons I can’t put the series over Bokura wa minna kawaisou. With this show I genuinely laugh out loud quite a bit. But Bokura was able to the same while they were advancing the main couples relationship throughout the series. Sure it was slow but the fact that it was still there is what makes it more enjoyable overall for me. I’m a sucker for comedic romance done well but when I’m constantly being led on by the pairings that have no sign of going anywhere my enjoyment is diminished slightly. Yes I still unconditionally love Gekkan but I think it could have been better had the romantic situations not been played off for jokes so much and actually had some subtext.

At this point I'd be surprised if anyone hooked up even by the end of the series.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
What's wrong with a comedy just being a comedy? It's probably a matter of expectation, but i never expected any serious romantic development.

And well, "people making shoujo romance manga who all suck pretty badly at romance IRL" is basically the main theme of this series, if they inserted "real romance", a lot of the jokes wouldn't work anymore...
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
Though a few jokes are more universal, most humor is very subjective and thus it is not possible for everyone to be entertained by certain comedy.

It doesn't help if your expectations of what the series was going to be were different too.

I had it with Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: Yay horror! Uhm... not really Laughing
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
I definitely am not expecting any romance development in this series. It's not really what it is about.

And even if it was it is a one cour show for an ongoing manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
What's wrong with a comedy just being a comedy?

Nothing at all. I only made my comment because CrowLia referred to this as a rom-com above and I don't think it is a rom-com. And my own more tepid reaction to the show is not the result of dashed expectation about a lack of romantic development. It's just the inherent subjectivity of comedy. I simply am not finding the jokes as funny as some of you are. Part of that is that, for me, I don't feel like we seeing much that is new. All of the current characters are well-established in what their comedic deal is. Now, each episode is simply repeated instances of what that deal is (with different details, of course). I'm getting a little bored with it all.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12