• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 4 the Golden Animation (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Persona 4 the Golden Animation (TV)

Plot Summary: In the spring when the cherry blossom petals fall, Yū Narukami moves to Yaso Inaba to live with his uncle and cousin due to his family's circumstances. He transfers to Yasogami High School, where his event-filled school life begins. However, when serial murders begin occurring in the peaceful town, Yū is awakened to the power of his heart turned to physical form: A Persona. Within these new mysteries is Marie, a resident of the alternate world, the Velvet Room, who has no memories of her past. Together with his friends, Yū must solve all the riddles set in front of him and save Yaso Inaba from further violence.
----------------------------------

I've seen the original Persona before and the recent movies recently. They were alright but I really liked the overall themes. For this upcoming series, there will be a new character in it played by one of my favorite VA.

It should be a refreshing watch, hopefully!
------------------------------------
Episode 1:
That was somewhat refreshing but felt a bit rushed. I love the soundtrack so far though and the characters so far. We also meet spoiler[Marie (voiced by Kana Hanazawa) and I think she can bring something new to the show.]

I've seen Persona 4: The Animation about 2 years ago so this was kinda fun. Oh and I think think the show is confirmed to be a 1-cour (12 episodes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
I've never played The Golden (no interest in the Vita as a system), and though I was thoroughly turned off by both the milking of the game and what was done with the first adaptation, I decided to give this a shot.

There were a lot of liberties with the plot, at least as far as the vanilla game's story. The fight didn't happen there, nor like that. The spoiler[announcer's body] apparently hasn't been found, yet spoiler[Saki's already in the TV world]. It very much feels like they're rushing, especially as compared to the first anime.

I'm not getting Marie's role in the story at all, either.

I don't know how long this is gonna be, but I figure I'll give it at least until the camping trip. Given that it's the same director as before, I'm not expecting anything to be different about that, so if it's different or not will be the deciding factor on if I ever touch anything relating to Persona 4 again or not.

[edit] Forgot to mention it, but the inconsistency of the translation vs. localization in the subs bothers me, too. Despite the fact that the Japanese Junes jingle is completely in English, the subs use the English Junes jingle instead. However, when Chie insults Moroki, they leave it as "Morokin" in the subs, instead of the English version's "King Moron".

Either match translations with the game's translations, or match them with the Japanese dialogue. Don't mix and match.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
This episode makes it feel like I am engaged in a new game plus (especially with the results of the first combat scene), Yu reacts to situations in an intuitive manner resulting in smoothing over "first time" encounters.
How Golden treats this concept in future episodes will be curious to watch unfold.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
OP was nice.
Everything was practically the same as the first time.
That's when I realized this season is just a recap with an added character.
Damn, feeling stupid now.
Still, it was nice to see all of them again.
Skipping it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
This is different.
Having put over 600 hours into the PS2, version, 400 on Golden on the Vita, and watching the first Persona 4 series, different is better.

This looks like it will be a fairly big retooling of the story tailored towards emphasizing Marie. In Golden, Marie was a new soul link, and more if you chose.

There was more to explore there than what was offered storywise, so 12 to 13 of that would be unexpected, but welcome.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Everything was practically the same as the first time.
That's when I realized this season is just a recap with an added character.
Damn, feeling stupid now.
Still, it was nice to see all of them again.
Skipping it.

It certainly wasn't 'the same as the first time'. This is clearly a New Game+ version of Narukami, who seems unsurprised and genre savvy of all the happenings around him. The way he approached the gas station attendant to how he verbally destroyed Morokin in fromt of the class. His attributes are no doubt at max level and we're dealing with a New Game+, which is a fun take on the story.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Odds are this show will mostly focus on adapting the new events from golden rather then focus on the main story. Should be fun for fans of the series.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, I just watched episode 2, and could this be any more boring?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
I think its fun, odds are the only serious moment we'll see in this show is at the end.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
It looks likes its going to be dominated by Golden game changes and events.
The different town, scooter, vegetable garden, and of course Marie.

I look forward to fishing in the Sea, not looking forward to the "must learn to play instruments and perform a song in one week" trope,
Unless the song is good (couldn't really tell in the game).

I was really puzzled when this series was announced, but I can see its going to be worth watching for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I like the comedy at all in this show. As far as Marie's character so far in the series, I find her to be interesting yet dull the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1