• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
For female fans.

... Yup.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
For female fans.

... Yup.

You can post all the cleavage shots you wanna but it stands that only women and men who were accompanied by women were allowed into the Crystal special event in Japan.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I was just trying to be funny.

Really the thing that bothered me the most about the episode is why no one pointed out that Usagi wasn't wearing a mask at a masquerade ball.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
For female fans.

... Yup.

I would never complain about fanservice again if that is all it was. Smile
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
average okatu complaining about the double standard between a hansdome prince kissing a sleeping girl is like the really unattractive woman complaining that the knockout blonde is getting away with wearing skimpy outfits and never has to pay for her drinks.

Most of us will never, ever be hot enough to do that and get away with it, while a select few will. It's not like guys are alone in this. Accept reality and move on.

Replace Mamoru with Umino and it becomes an episode of Law and Order SVU, possibly with a dead body involved.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

My intent was more to point put that they gave a fourteen year old such huge knockers. That sort of thing wouldn't be done for the sake of the female audience... Would it? Laughing
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

My intent was more to point put that they gave a fourteen year old such huge knockers. That sort of thing wouldn't be done for the sake of the female audience... Would it? Laughing

What part of any of those girls looks 14? When has that ever been a standard? I don't even notice who is what age in any anime anymore. There's just student-age and adult-age.

How many male protagonists from 14-16 have the bodies of real teenagers? Most of them are ripped like grown professional athletes.

I'm guessing females would like their heroines to look as feminine as possible, even if they are fighting monsters in their spare time. This may come as a shock but females do pay attention to boobs too.
zaeris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

Most of us will never, ever be hot enough to do that and get away with it, while a select few will. It's not like guys are alone in this. Accept reality and move on.

Replace Mamoru with Umino and it becomes an episode of Law and Order SVU, possibly with a dead body involved.

I believe in general there are elements of perception involve, for some as an adult or someone responsible you do kinda need to sit back and think that isn't right, morally anyway, but through the lens of my younger self I may have read the manga and that thought never occur back then ( although I haven't check if its in the manga).

I'm just surprised in general, you probably need your shoujo goggles on to make sense of it in this case.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Naoko Takeuchi draws the manga the exact same way so yes.
She has never targeted a male audience.

Quote:
I'm guessing females would like their heroines to look as feminine as possible, even if they are fighting monsters in their spare time. This may come as a shock but females do pay attention to boobs too.

Lol BUGNIN GETS IT.
I personally prefer more lolita-ish heroines because I can relate to them but.......yes, excellent deduction there.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yes it would. The same way they market pumped up muscle guys to boys. I don't have time to post pictures but just look at all the males in Fairy Tale or Gilmagesh from Fate Stay Night or Kenichi from Mightiest Disciple and on and on. The way Usagi is drawn here is actually quite restrained in comparison.

Seriously, it isn't just anime that does this. Can you find a supermarket magazine rack these days that doesn't have at least ten articles about "unrealistic body image" girls have that are induced by barbie dolls? Or for that matter, the "media?"

I am more concerned about the stupid.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:

Lol BUGNIN GETS IT.
I personally prefer more lolita-ish heroines because I can relate to them but.......yes, excellent deduction there.

My fiancee has been a hardcore Sailor Moon fan since she was a kid. She has the same reaction to seeing their nails transform as she does when the monster of the week gets destroyed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
On the topic of their boobies looking big for their age, well the thing is that anime is and always has exaggerated proportions to convey characters. If you want concrete evidence of this, have you met people with eyes the same size as these characters? See parts are exaggerated to make character traits more recognisable and able to easily show everything from emotion to a character's personality through hair colour.

One thing that specifically made me actually think about the characters age to body is when I took notice that the girls match pretty much the size of their male classmate, they look maybe like the proportions of any anime cast. But when I saw what his height was to that boy in the arcade that I am just guessing is in High School, you notice a huge difference, that these characters are not actually as maturely built as they may seem by themselves. This not just a random factor either it totally has a purpose, see the show is actually meant for girls of the same age group, and the designs are not meant to have the feeling of "hey these girls are young". It gives the image that they are actually physically able for their mission, that they are heroines, and hey all older people look like giants. My opinion is it maybe allows that age group to feel like young adults.

There is always the question of why most magical girls shows reverted, not following Sailor Moon's age design levels, that is probably essay worthy.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
For female fans.

... Yup.

Usagi used the transformation pen, you can compare her rack size within the same episode and clearly the transformation illusion is being effected by her own desire for how she thinks a "mature looking woman" should appear.

Quote:
There is always the question of why most magical girls shows reverted, not following Sailor Moon's age design levels, that is probably essay worthy.

Card Captor Sakura was the "popular magical girl series" right after the SM completed its original run, even then within series Chibi Usa (creating an example of a VERY young heroine that looked like a young girl) appeared as well as the Senshi grew older there "older than they look" appearance caught up and the designs simply looked appropriate for there age in the original anime run.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
My fiancee has been a hardcore Sailor Moon fan since she was a kid. She has the same reaction to seeing their nails transform as she does when the monster of the week gets destroyed.

Boys feel empowered when strapping on 40 kilos of lock-and-load, explosives, edge weapons, beam weapons and power blasts.

Girls feel empowered when they get their nails done.

Sexist? Yes. True? I report you decide.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Boys feel empowered when strapping on 40 kilos of lock-and-load, explosives, edge weapons, beam weapons and power blasts.

Girls feel empowered when they get their nails done.

Sexist? Yes. True? I report you decide.

Like I said, she enjoys the action element, but females generally like feminine stuff, and beauty is a big part of that. Not everything has to be either empowering or sexist.

I'm not really a sailor moon fan (I watched season 1 of the original so I could watch the new one with her), but I do respect it a great deal. These girls are both pretty and strong at the same time and that's a great message.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 18