• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

You would think they would have gottspoiler[en it by now that the enemy purposely draws them out, then they catch them in a ball of their element, the dark version is destroyed, but the Sailor Scout is captured]. At least it seemed to know spoiler[that we already have a hang of how it works so it felt like it went quicker this time around].

I think I said it before, but despite the above complaint this arc has felt better for having more characterisation of the different girls at actually differentiating them and somewhat develop them too.

Also someone actually spoiler[listened in and realised the absurdity from the pretty loud conversation in a public place].
Welkin Gunther

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Three things I don't like about this series is Usagi, who wins her battles without wits or strategy, the CGI is whack and this adaptation is too short (as much as the manga). I never liked the main character of Sailor Moon at all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 18:

The fight felt kinda meh imo this week but it was spoiler[kinda nice to know that no one got kidnapped for once by the enemies. And for all the buildup, it may seem like Wiseman has more sinister plans for Earth, or rather the 30th century.]

I wonder when we will see Prince Demande in action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Is it just me, or was there a significant increase to the animation. I noticed what appeared to be a new type of style where the screen changes like a manga/comic to show a characters reaction, which I probably cannot explain very well.

Also a rather saucy scene.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I noticed what appeared to be a new type of style where the screen changes like a manga/comic to show a characters reaction, which I probably cannot explain very well.

I checked the manga after watching it and the goofy reactions were there but only Mamoru's reaction had the weird manga panel treatment you're talking about so the rest with Usagi was new.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Best part of the latest episode imo is in the introduction of spoiler[Sailor Pluto]. Otherwise, I'm not too impressed by this. I also wonder how they will wrap this season up in just a few more episodes left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Finally was able to watch it last night (con throws off your viewing schedule like crazy), and what stood out to me was all the off-model and sub-par animation. Usually I either don't notice it, or it's only a few instances. But this was all over the place. I'd be embarrassed to put my name on it.

As for Pluto (I can't see how her appearance is spoilers, it's in the name of the episode, after all), I felt that her voice wasn't quite deep enough, but better than most of the other new voices, and while her skin tone isn't as dark as I'd prefer, it is noticeably darker than the other characters', which is enough to satisfy me, given that we're talking about Crystal.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

A lot of info dumping this episode....spoiler[and also, it looks like Usagi could be the next victim by the look of things there. Action felt pretty fast as well. 6 episodes left this season, I wonder how they will resolve this conflict and get save the other Sailor Scouts.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, this episode was good! As I'm typing this, I'm only at the mid-point, and when the eyecatch hit, I thought it was the end of the episode, and still would have been satisfied!

The episode neither felt like it was dragging nor rushing, and didn't feel empty or like it had no heart. If the rest of the series would have been like this episode, it would have been wonderful. I didn't catch any off-model animation, and even little details like Luna-P's eyes being swirls when it was used to break the crystal seemed perfect.

I don't have access to my books right now, but is this episode adapting more than one chapter? It feels like it. I think, instead of a direct 1-to-1 adaptation, what they should have done all along is adapt the chapters as they fit and made sense.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Finally. After weeks of struggling, spoiler[Sailor Moon (with some help from Neo Queen Serenity) breaks free from being help captive with the others. It's about time tbh.]

However, it looks like the episode also brings a twist for spoiler[Chibi-usa and Tuxedo Mask. At any rate, they have to find them...]. The waiting game begins. 4 more episodes left so I am somewhat curious to see how the direction of this story/season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Welkin Gunther wrote:
Three things I don't like about this series is Usagi, who wins her battles without wits or strategy

Yeah, only about 2,000 more magical girls win the exact same way. Rolling Eyes

Come on now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24:

One more month of this to go. The second season thing was not confirmed by Toei btw so consider it being void; meaning no season 2.

As for this week's episode, it looks like Wiseman's intentions were pretty serious, which imo was never surprising. Dark Lady is nothing like Chibi-usa of course and her taunting is like a sting to Usagi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 26 (finale)

And so it is done. I must say that I was drawn in by the Chibi-Usa bit, and that she ended up staying back. This is probably repeating something from earlier, but Chibi-Usa is actually older than pretty much all the other characters put together, right?

I am actually quite happy that I watched Sailor Moon Crystal, I was too into Pokémon and liking what boys should like when I was a child to give this series a chance, and I like being able to watch this as being an update and tighter story.

But this has to stand that Crystal had quite a number of problems, and from my point of view I think that some of it was trying too hard to follow its past. First, a big part for me, was Usagi's voice, now she might have been the original and kind of an icon for it, I don't think it was quite the right choice. If they really wanted to kind of separate this from what it was before, they could have chosen one that was not quite as hard to listen to. Next is probably just a part of what manga and such was like back then, but I think for todays audience they could have put more to differentiate the other Guardians, and not make them quite so useless. You have a team of different characters, but them being characterised only by an odd episode (like introductions) where they really are the only one that can apparently save the day. Otherwise they were often delegated solely by a different look, transformation, and attack.

But positive I think was against what I thought I knew, Tuxedo Mask did not fight all the battles, he might get involved, but I think it was more than a few times I think it was just to get Sailor Moon to be inspired to fight back.

Oh, looks like the 26 episodes are technically broken up into 13 episodes each, I guess I will have to give a different rating for both halves. For the first half (2014), this was where they pretty much introduced the main group, so we learned about how these characters were different and them join together. But what largely comes to mind was when the word "doll" got mentioned in these forums, that they did not put in the personality for interesting dynamics. I will give that half a rating off Not really good.

For the second half (2015, I automatically think I will give it some higher marks because it felt like they finally gave some character to the characters. All the girls got some that showed some individuality between them, but it was such a shame often this followed the girl getting kidnapped. These parts had Chibi-Usa, who in all honesty actually was not that bad, I kind of expected her to be bratty, but she kind of worked. I would give it a rating of Decent.

On final thoughts of the series, I could give some ideas of where I think it could have improved. Make the characters stand out from each other. A little bit of complexity of different roles or strengths in and out of battles would help. Next, they totally could have stylised more, this was a retelling of arguably the most famous Shoujo series, it could be more than an anime of a manga from over 20 years ago. I think that I actually called out some times where we got something like a fancy border, and that was totally something we should have gotten all the time, make it a celebration, show us the hearts of maidens. That was kind of what I came into the series hoping to see. Maybe a better director, although I do not want to sound mean about it.

And I would like to see another season of this, that maybe they could fix some of the bugs and show me some more of why this franchise is beloved.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
I just got back from Otakon where Crystal's dub premiered for the first time.

And........

It works so much better. Boy, do I feel weird saying that but it's TRUE!! I don't know what it is....well for one thing, the voice actress for Usagi isn't a least bit grating.....which is more than what I can say for Kotono. I'M SORRY KOTONO. I LOVE YOU BUT....IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE.

So yeah. The dub might actually save this show for me. :p

Quote:
maybe they could fix some of the bugs and show me some more of why this franchise is beloved.

What you need to understand Dusk, is this franchise is on the same level as Pokemon and Dragon Ball. It's just....classic (I won't say timeless because some things like fashion and music in the 90s show DID NOT age well Anime hyper) But for the US audience, it was EVERYONE'S introduction to the magical girl genre and it was also many many people's first (memorable) anime ever (like yours truly). I saw bits and pieces of anime here and there as a kid but Sailor Moon was my gateway and my spiral down into otakudom Anime hyper there was no going back after that. Sailor Moon was for little girls what DBZ was for little boys. It did everything little girls wanted the same way DBZ did everything little boys wanted and.....that's really all there is to it.

In short, for those who don't 'get' what makes it so loved might not be able to 'get' this without traveling back in time and experiencing it the same way we did.....especially if 'girly' shows are not your thing to begin with.

For the record, 90s Sailormoon >>>>>>>>> Crystal is definitely the opinion of the majority of the fanbase.
narwhalgal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
And the eternal edition of the manga will also be finished later this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18