• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I, like many, grew up watching the original. However, I really don't have any nostalgia for it. I think a lot of it is the fact that a) I watched it in high school, b) I read the manga, and c) I've seen the tokusatsu. What really made it sink in was Viz announcing their release. And I realized that I really didn't want to own any of it, and that I wasn't even interested in rewatching it (specifically referring to the anime here. I rewatch the tokusatsu often and would buy it, and I own Kodansha's rerelease of the manga, as well as most of the original in Japanese).

Watching the first episode of Crystal, I was really fairly "meh" about it.

As others have pointed out, the CG is jarring (most specifically, the opening and closing shots of the OP, and the hair in the transformation sequence). As well, Usagi's face is far too narrow, giving her a much older look (if I didn't know, I'd guess 16-17, not 14).

The differences between this and the original series were minimal, but the "intro" at the beginning really bored me. I felt it was a waste of time.

I didn't feel that it felt "dated" like others have said, but if I continue to feel that way is gonna depend on if they take the same route the tokusatsu did or not. I doubt there's going to be drastic changes like the tokusatsu had, but despite the story changes, they did a good job of updating the technology. They're obviously sticking with the arcade over the karaoke parlor, but hopefully we'll get the cell phones over wrist communicators. I'm hoping (but doubt we'll get) the bracelets over cheesy sticks for transformations.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
in this ep, she is lazy and stupid. how do you get 30% in exam.

Getting bad grades doesn't make you stupid.
It's either

a. You don't understand the material
or
b. You didn't study
or
c. BOTH.

It was an English test and many foreign students struggle with our stupid language with its ridiculous rules and Lord, do I feel sorry that they have to learn it.

Quote:
Sakura, Amu, Nanoha, Madoka, ect are cooler magical girls.

And without Sailor Moon, none of them would exist right now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Sexy? You guys sure got some active imagination going on in yo head.

Heh, tell that to my pre-teen self. We had this calendar one year, and seeing the image on it of Sailor Jupiter in a bikini was the first time I ever had the hots for anything female, 2D or 3D. Wish I could find that image again...

Spotlesseden wrote:

Kinda hard to top Hibiki when it comes to awesomeness.

Chiibi wrote:
It's either

or
b. You didn't study
or
c. BOTH.

In Usagi's case it probably is both, but it certainly doesn't help that she spends all her time after school going out, playing at the arcade, etc, when she knows she has homework. It'd be fine for a little bit, but she came home after dark, and she doesn't even attempt to start her homework before taking a nap. She's the kind of girl who'd say "Why do I need to learn this, I'm never going to use it" instead of putting in some effort to improve herself.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
in this ep, she is lazy and stupid. how do you get 30% in exam.

It's either

or
b. You didn't study
or
c. BOTH.

Or some people really just are that stupid.
Did you never know anyone who was just straight up dumb? I don't mean mentally challenged or anything, but there are just stupid effin' people out there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:

And without Sailor Moon, none of them would exist right now.

A few months back I decided to really take a look into the magical girl thing, and it was pretty clear that Sailor Moon really did change the genre to where it is now.

Vaisaga wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
Sexy? You guys sure got some active imagination going on in yo head.

Heh, tell that to my pre-teen self. We had this calendar one year, and seeing the image on it of Sailor Jupiter in a bikini was the first time I ever had the hots for anything female, 2D or 3D. Wish I could find that image again...

Would you guys believe me if I said that this was one reason I had an interest in anime? I think it was a picture in a magazine of Sailor Mars, it felt less guilty than a real picture as a young age. Sailor Moon anime does have a part for me to eventually become an active anime watcher, and it was not from watching it.

But I do think the designs of this rendition feel less sexy, a better design maybe?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
I thought Crystal was its own abridged version of the original series. The direction and writing were awful. Some examples and keep in mind, the show's only 23 minutes:

Random cat walks into an arcade. {Doors? No? Fine...} Part timer/ manager {?}, assisting Usagi with her game {?} comments the cat's a regular {Head hurting} while Usagi tells herself it's the same cat as the one earlier because of the scar. Simple, I like that.

Cut to cat, full view of moon scar.
Cut to Usagi, looking anxious. Why, I don't know. Did she forget her line?
Cut to cat.
Cut to Usagi!

Mamoru appearing full day light in white tie and tuxedo. Uhhh....
He's looking for the Silver Crystal and he thinks he'll find it in a jewelry store. Ehhh...
He and Usagi meet and they have a "moment". What "moment", Director? Did they just meet, do they have a history? He's a weird guy in a tuxedo and he starts off their relationship {was it "start" here?} by insulting her hair style. Usagi was clearly moved by him but there's no reason for it. {I'm familiar with the original series, not the manga but shouldn't the feelings and emotional gushing be reserved for the Tuxedo in the Mask and not the one on the Street? Also, Tuxedo Street!}

Debut queue! The staging was so obviously bad for all the background characters {which the shows screams "these are the ones you know and love!" while in fact that they're ones the original author barely remembers after awhile; Her best friend not name Ami, the geek in the glasses, her younger brother, her secondary first love, her mother, her ... teacher} that Usagi's younger brother was actually seen waiting to come on stage in the shadows prior to his introduction. A porch light is not a stage light and you'd see him already if he was two feet from his sister.

Zombie women! I keep waiting for the subtitle "5 minutes later" when they were on the street and then "Ten more minutes" when they finally made it to the jewelry store.

I liked the watercolor-style backgrounds, used only on the outdoor scenes for some reason. Seriously, there were actual shots of a normal interior scene while the exterior outside the window was impressionistic in its detail.

Worst f***** detail of all: Sailor Moon's name is a "line of sight" name {Good thing it wasn't during the day or she would have been Sailor Sun?} though she came up with her own "In the name of the Moon" catch phrase pretty damn quick. I could have sworn Luna should have told her who she was after she first transformed.

Which brings me to the worst thing of all: Everything is presented as if we all should know it by now {Main example: compare the original sparse opener to this new one which maps out the f***** season} and spoiler alert from the first episode: Guess who the princess is!

"Moon Prism Boomerang". It's a discus, not a boomerang. Though all things considered, a crescent shaped tiara would resemble one so I'll give them this one.

Soon to be stock CG footage {please keep it blotted out, don't "enhance" it for a home release} and Mishuishi's forced performance were already commented on.

My feelings? Viz is also streaming the original series so there is no reason to watch this one over that one.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
I didn't exactly grow up watching the original and despite the fact that I've only seen a handful of episodes, I really like Sailor Moon and I can't really explain why. So I was pretty excited when I found out that they were doing a remake and it pretty much lived up to my expectations.

I didn't mind the CG in the OP though. It's a shame that they decided to use it in the transformation as well, but I'll get used to that eventually.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or some people really just are that stupid.
Did you never know anyone who was just straight up dumb? I don't mean mentally challenged or anything, but there are just stupid effin' people out there.

About half the customers I've dealt with at work, yes.

Quote:
In Usagi's case it probably is both, but it certainly doesn't help that she spends all her time after school going out, playing at the arcade, etc, when she knows she has homework. It'd be fine for a little bit, but she came home after dark, and she doesn't even attempt to start her homework before taking a nap.

Because she's a kid who wants to have fun. I can relate. I did a lot of my own homework in homeroom.

My point is, she's really not stupid; she just hates studying. She's quite sharp in the manga with things unrelated to school. The first anime dumbed her down a bit for the sake of lulz....which is rather unfair, imho.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It was brilliant. I loved every minute of it. New and HD.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
My point is, she's really not stupid; she just hates studying. She's quite sharp in the manga with things unrelated to school. The first anime dumbed her down a bit for the sake of lulz....which is rather unfair, imho.

Usagi is definitely not academically-inclined but I definitely agree that she isn't half as dumb as the original manga made her out to be. I do really hope that Crystal gives her all the development she gets in the manga - though at the same time, I'm hoping it will also take the time to develop the supporting cast, since the manga isn't great at handling them most of the time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
As others have pointed out, the CG is jarring (most specifically, the opening and closing shots of the OP, and the hair in the transformation sequence). As well, Usagi's face is far too narrow, giving her a much older look (if I didn't know, I'd guess 16-17, not 14)..

I could appreciate that the new character designer is giving all the Senshi more of a glamorous designed "doll" look, but when Usagi's mom and Ms. Haruna are now stunningly glamorous with pounds of hair, that's just....weird. Confused

So far, unlike the off-book improvisations of the live-action series, the new cartoon doesn't seem to be for any other reason besides being able to show the old series again in HD widescreeen.
I thought that the new "reverential" tone would cut down on Junichi Sato's cute cartoony humor for Usagi in the original first series, but they've even managed to preserve a bit of that. Until I see a few more episodes into the storyline (every new series is judged on how it handles Venus), I'm just thinking, why didn't they just reanimate the original soundtrack??

(As far as I can tell, the only strange change is Usagi first running into Mamoru already in a tuxedo--with no plausible explanation why--instead of his nice mature college-student clothes...Well, that'll make it hard for her to figure out who Mask is for most of the entire first series.
We never saw Tuxedo's power-up transformation except in one episode, but he doesn't change into his tux like street clothes, y'know.)

willag wrote:
Another difference I noticed is that in Crystal spoiler[Sailor Moon unintentionally saves herself when she starts crying and her earbun jewels amplify the sound.] In the original spoiler[Tuxedo Mask is the one to save her by throwing a rose.] The only thing Tuxedo Mask really does in Crystal is to encourage her. I think it's pretty cool that she saves herself in Crystal.

No, the amplifiers were in the original first episode, although they were never used again. (Except for once in SuperS, which didn't really feel like a canon episode.)

Although yes, the OP song could cut down a bit on the "We're free, liberated girls who don't need anyone to rescue us!" rhetoric--Which differs a bit from the whole "Dreams of romance" motifs that's supposed to move the Moon-Mask relationship along.
Sheesh, what is this, Frozen? Razz
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
The ANN reviewers must have been trolling pretty hard with all those 4s. I got around the watching the first episode and it couldn't possible rate more than a 2. Anything else they rated a 4 must be an 8.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
EricJ2, the original series stuck pretty close to the manga in its first episode, so it makes sense that the first episode of Crystal would be almost an exact copy. But the differences are going to start piling up fast, probably, especially since it looks like next episode will have spoiler[Ami's introduction], which didn't happen until episode 8 in the original (despite it being in the second chapter of the manga). So at very least, Crystal is jettisoning a whole lot of filler (which is definitely for the best).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Awesome, spoiler[Usagi gets a new friend and a member of the team! I have to say, Sailor Mercury] was interesting to see in the latest episode and I think her voice fits her well. I hope we see her more in action soon. And really, spoiler[that disc] should of been obvious in the beginning that something might be wrong with it when it looks too good to be true.

Nice to know the show also keeps in the lightheartedness and comedy factor there as well. spoiler[Tuxedo Mask spotted again in the episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that back in the day I didn't really give Ami much thought, but now she's totally my type Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18