• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The simulcast subs seem really really bad. Youma being translated as just Evil seems so awkward and makes some of the lines stupid. At least call them demons or something.

Next episode is where this anime will truly diverge from the old one. These first two are pretty similar to the original anime's takes on Moon and Mercury's introduction
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why (since they are both cgi) but I like the look of Mercury's transformation over Moon's transformation scene.

But I love watching this ( brings back memories)... although I don't know if I should admit that I love watching Sailor Moon at my age.
Ankisian Sarita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
But I love watching this ( brings back memories)... although I don't know if I should admit that I love watching Sailor Moon at my age.

There's no reason age should stop you from enjoying anything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

She appeared to be a spoiler[middle school dressed as a nurse, why not let her into the building]? Also Usagi's base attack was useless, presumably because spoiler[teacher type monsters are immune to whining].

Hey, I share Ami's birthday, hooray for socially awkward similarities.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think it goes back to the previous mentions of the new design looking too adult, but... Usagi and Ami look really disturbing to me. Oddly enough, this only applies when they are in school uniform. Despite being also sailor-style uniforms and keeping essentially the same design, they are not nearly as disturbing looking when in sailor guardian costume.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
My roommate thinks that part of the "older" look has to do with them wearing makeup now, even outside of their senshi uniforms.

I think it's a combination of the makeup, the darker lines around the eyes (I don't think it's supposed to be makeup, but it has the effect of looking like mascara), and the thinner faces (no baby fat). It never bothered me in the manga, but it bothers me here. I mean, when you've got 20-year-old actresses playing 14-year-olds more effectively than animation? That is a problem.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
Don't know why (since they are both cgi) but I like the look of Mercury's transformation over Moon's transformation scene.

I'm sure the naked parts for Mercury has and Moon doesn't has nothing to do with that.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Naked parts.... I don't think I was watching the same show.

... I watched the episode again, I think the reason I like it more is because it is short and sweet. The cgi is so quick for Mercury that it doesn't seem to pull me out of the animation as much as Moon's does.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
After watching two episodes I am not so much bother by CGI as by colouring, which makes every character look like they are plastic dolls.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mercury's transformation scene was great but when SailorMoon was finished, the transfer back to action was like a cutscene stopping.

I can't wait for Rei.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I was out of town this weekend so only just had a chance to watch the new episode. I had forgotten how adorable Ami is!

I think I'm getting used to the CGI and I still appreciate that the new sequences are actually pretty close to the same as the old ones. And I continue to really love the new attack sequences, I can't wait to see what the others look like, particularly Rei and Makoto's.

Definitely looking forward to the show hitting the points where it will deviate even more from the original anime. It definitely shouldn't be much longer now until things start to be pretty different.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Getting used to the character designs now; they are starting to look cute. More expressions were used too; did anyone notice?

Ami's new seiyuu fits well. I don't mind that it's not Aya Hisakawa. And everyone needs to check out the full version of Moon Pride with the video they released!!

Quote:
The simulcast subs seem really really bad.

They are. My Japanese language A+ student mind couldn't take it so I switched to other subs.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
The ANN reviewers must have been trolling pretty hard with all those 4s. I got around the watching the first episode and it couldn't possible rate more than a 2. Anything else they rated a 4 must be an 8.

It's not a good anime compare to today's show. The art is not very good either. Change the name to Magic girl Usagi with the same story line and different character design, they would give it a bad score.

This is for old school people. I don't think they expect younger anime fans to like it or sells like Madoka.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I'm a bit tired of younger protagonists that Usagi and Ami looking like they're 20 when they're actualy 14 doesn't bother me. I can fool myself into thinking they're older than their real ages. I really like the character designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm a bit tired of younger protagonists that Usagi and Ami looking like they're 20 when they're actualy 14 doesn't bother me. I can fool myself into thinking they're older than their real ages. I really like the character designs.

So, you're saying that you think Ami's really an idiot pretending to be smart, since she flunked 7th grade so many times? ^u^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 18