• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Spring Ride (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

In my opinion I think that there is a slight issue with conveying exactly how Futaba and Yuri acting. From what I understand from the characters saying I would guess that their acts should feel more forced where they are trying to bring attention to being tomboyish to girls, or super cutesy to boys. It would even seem that her "friend" might see her as a fake along the lines for maybe acting innocent over what she actually thought. I can see the issues in actually doing what they are saying they are, like it would run the risk of making them not look genuine, and is Yuri maybe acting a little like Ami Kawashima? Actually now that I think about it, Futaba might have been a little Ami like, acting a little innocent airhead to appeal to two girls. I like to bring Ami up because I really enjoy the dualness of her character, I kind of wish a little more was done here.

On the flip side it has had some positive effects as it makes Futaba feel very sympathetic or relatable, she feels on honest, that she made the right decisions, and they die not quite make characters evil. I have no idea why, for some reason Hikigaya Hachiman just popped into my head, maybe something about things sometimes adolescence hurting, truth and loneliness too.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Cute insert song. It was nice to see Futaba and the 2 fake friends end their friendship on a good note.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
This episode officially sold me on this anime. It touches on so many issues that one has when going through school trying to make friends. I must admit there a lot of things that bother me about the people that I hang out with but I pretty much never call them out on it. I'm sure the same holds true for everyone. We keep our thoughts hidden because we don't want to ruin those bonds no matter how small they may be.

However even if you have a fight with them over said issues TRUE friends are able to overcome those differences and make emends. I would have liked for her "pretend" friends to make up with her but at the same time it's nice that they didn't. People can't simply be swayed by determined speeches (like anime likes to make you think). They can be very stubborn. I do appreciate that they at least had the tact to politely say they just didn't want to be friends anymore. They could have been real dicks about it so that's something I can somewhat respect.

Also I love Tanaka. He's still a bit on the emo side but he's is humorlessly dickish to Futaba which I love. Gives us a funny contrast compared to how he used to be.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Those flashbacks to before are always so sweet.
So she got Kou's approval for the friends thing.
Her dirty mind works in mysterious ways LOL
Kou's brother seems to be a fun guy ^^
Kou is still so sensitive to his situation.
Whatever happened must have hurt him deeply.
New school year started really well for Futaba.
What an amazing luck to have Kou & Makita in the same class.
That's even more time for them to spend together ^^
I bet that workshop is gonna be a blast!]

Great episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Shuko is awesome. Did you see her just put spoiler[that headphone on and be like "I'm in my own world now".] I hope to see more of her in the show and there are already some hints that she will play a more major role in the series, at least with one of the characters.

Good to see the spoiler[five main characters unite together] of course as well. Kou can be such a troll sometimes Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
My inner fangirl can't help but smile while watching this.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
I do enjoy it, but I'm getting that feeling that the show will run with a pattern I've seen with adaptations of such manga. Girl with an issue to resolve, Guy (often moody) with an issue to resolve. But if it runs like the others, we'll get most, if not all, of the girl's major problems solved as the couple gains a strong relationship... what I don't think I've ever seen is one of these (I think of them in terms of Kare Kano/His and Her Circumstances) that ever adapts the guy's story.

And the issue with this story doing that is the guy's story is immediately more interesting in this work than the girl's story. It actually seems common for the guy's problems to be more troubled, deep, and emotional, but details are rarely dealt with in these adaptations and we never get to them. Just clues of broken families and perhaps hints at some abuse suffered. Instead ending the focus on the more feel good aspects of the girl dealing with her self confidence issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
I really like that blonde boy (looked it up, his name is Aya Kominato). He's so enthusiastic and outgoing. It's kind of sweet how he won't give up on Shuko Murao--if you read it as "he realizes that she's in a temporary funk, and needs/wants a friend to reach out to her". I mean, obviously he's got a crush on her, but it seems that they used to be part of the same group of friends, and she suddenly dropped out. Therefore, it's reasonable for Aya to want to try to coax her back into socializing.

On to our leads--I like Futaba. She speaks her mind and doesn't let things fester with miscommunication. She takes action and reaches out to others. She got Kou to reveal spoiler[the real reason he didn't show up on their failed first date, and encouraged him to open up a bit.] I'm very happy that they didn't drag out the "mystery" of the connection between Tanaka-Sensei and Kou, but they could have side stepped the stupid "teen living all alone" trope spoiler[I was hopeful when Kou explained that his older brother had moved out--that totally made sense, as he's an adult with a job. But then Kou went on to say that he therefore lives all alone. Where the *blank* are their parents?! That better be a plot point that's dealt with properly! Kou's obviously having issues with his whole family if he's living alone and even skipping out on occasional dinners with his big bro. I felt so bad for both of them in that scene.]

Next episode spoiler[our genki bunch of class reps go on an overnight leadership retreat! Sounds like fun, and we might learn more about Shuko]. This show is now on my Crunchyroll queue despite my early misgivings.

Wondering when we'll meet the kitty that appears in the OP&ED.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Poor Kou. spoiler[ His parents had to get divorced just for Futaba to call him his first name...i kid i kid.]

Really enjoying this show and I'm a sucker for Futaba's character design Anime dazed...

The question is do I like this more than Monthly Girl Nozaki...>>
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Not really much original or surprising, but regardless I am finding it much stronger than other examples. Kimi ni Todoke, Sukitte Ii na yo, and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, what do these shows have in common with their heroines? They have trouble socially and have to be pulled out of their shell by the guy, but in here seems to be rather different, she needed a little push but she seems to be making a good effort with her own actions. You might often see something like Yuri/Yuuri be the type of heroine.

I can only think that this has been a really strong season for shoujo and the ilk, Nozaki-kun being released has to have some effect for the more straight versions.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
@Dusky: I'm having trouble keeping up with all the shows, I mean I simply cannot drop this show, Barakamon, Aldnoah.Zero, Nozaki-kun, Terror in Resonance nor Love Stage!. And those weren't the only ones I've been watching, just the ones that I enjoyed the most. We'll see if there are shows that fall apart after second/third episode (I'm sure it will happen to some, as long as it's not Barakamon), but I think it's a very strong season.

I really like Futaba, she's improving every episode. Kou is a bit of a mixed bag with some of his mean and/or grumpy lines, but is slowly getting better and has a dramatic backstory. It's at least understandable then. Another fresh thing is the characters not jumping 10 meters high whenever they touch each other.

@Darksorrow: Do not question which show you like most, they complement each other with their different tones!
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think Kou is like the spitting image of the mysterious bad boy stereotype that girls love?

He constantly shows that he's interested in Futaba but whenever she gets too chummy for comfort to him he throws out lines like "What are you looking at?" like a dickhead.

I love him <3 (no homo......). This is a prime example of how you can escape the friendzone folks Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Problem is, Kou only acts like a jerk to Futaba, and seems perfectly nice to his guy friends. This is especially egregious since he revealed in ep 3 that spoiler[he never took her "hate all boys" comment to heart and stood her up for his own personal reasons, and then didn't feel obligated to apologize or explain himself to her. Did they not have text, email, or any type of telephone technology?] So he's only a "bad boy" to the girl he likes, as if he's in kindergarten.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Did they ever even exchange that information at any point before he left? They didn't really seem like close friends just awkward teens in love. I doubt either of them would have the courage to do so anyway Cool

I sort of take everything Kou says a face value now. He's much better at reading peoples intentions than he was back then. So I don't think his comment about her spoiler["I hate all boys!" not effecting him is true.] But we'll have to see.

He's totally acting like he's a kindergartener though (Futaba points this out too) but i find it kind of..............cute..........(NO HOMO!Wink)
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Futaba's reaction to half naked Kou was priceless ^^
She totally misunderstood the whole situation LOL
Watching them rush around was very entertaining.
Futaba sure can be hopeless sometimes..
Well, at least she bought herself some alone time with Kou.
Training camp didn't start so well for those two.
Their group was anything but interested & organized.
Luckily Kou showed his talent to improvise.
The table heart-to-heart moment was so sweet ^^
Looks like both of them need to accept they are different people.
After they accept that, they can accept their feelings as well.
Murao was obviously clinging to sensei..
Judging by her face, there are feelings involved.
Interesting episode.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5