• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sabagebu - Survival Game Club! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Truly spoiler[hunting] is something that will save civilisation. I was really waiting for the punch line was of the spoiler[hunter bit] since it was actually pretty serious. It seemed in the end it was that spoiler[it was supposed to be written by the hunters association, so it was supposed to come across as heavy handed propaganda trying to brainwash people into becoming hunters]. Maybe a little too effective.

Apart from that we had spoiler[gender bending crossdressing], with Momoka going from spoiler[prince to being hunted by female schoolmates who wanted "him" for themselves]. And finishing with spoiler[ninja mum], of course with a bathing scene.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I thought it got oddly serious in the first part; I read it, but the punchline just didn't register. I have to wonder spoiler[if somebody working on it didn't mean it somewhat seriously, it's a nice reality check in this insane show]

For the third part, I was honestly expecting spoiler[the suspicious person to be Miou due to her minigun], but I guess that's been done before. Did anybody else spoiler[realize it the moment she pulled her gun]? You don't exactly see that every day. spoiler[Doing a bit of unnecessary research, I've narrowed down mama's gun to either Smith & Wesson's Performance Center S&W500 or their 460XVR. Either way, you're taking down almost anything on land.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

spoiler[Fried Lemon Chicken] makes a return, and one of the reasons I like this show is you can never quite know how something will go, and spoiler[Momoka's relationship with Fried Lemon Chicken] is one of those. Some parts I found really funny, like them trying to spoiler[make the up skirt photography guys sympathetic.] And spoiler[FLC's panties] bit was also brilliant, maybe not everyone would be fond of the perversion focused comedy here, but I thought it was great, well Urara has already been a huge part of the show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 had a rather interesting take on a different show; "Guns are serious business, air guns should be fun." The show expressed that idea through hunting because... how many violent gun crimes are there in Japan again? Also, there's something amusing about cute girls going out of their way to learn how to kill cute animals. Nothing laugh out loud funny but that happens.

The other two segments were golden, of course. Another line gets crossed when Momoka gets... mosaicked. Also, spoiler[Momoka's mom], yes, several incidents were somewhat "motherly" but they purposely left explaining one of them out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
The last two eppies have been kind of lacking in laughs for me - at least compared to those that preceded. I mean, it's not like this show ever traded in super-sophisticated, intellectual or wildly original yuks, but they had a certain flair. The last two eppies just seem kinda dumb to me. I hope for a return to form.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
One of the best comedy series this season imo. The first and second half were just hilarious. I give props for spoiler[Maya enduring that (sort of) though. I mean, getting stripped by gun bullets. Wow.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Wow. I didn't think the spoiler[fight] in the second episode would be that epic. I mean, spoiler[Momoka went full demon mode with her tactics and that earned her team the victory. Nice one girl.]

The first half of the episode made me lol quite a bit. I like how Ootori bought in that spoiler[lion].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
A reference to Peter Weir's early art film Picnic at Hanging Rock. That is not a reference you see everyday, let alone in anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

It is a spoiler[fiend]. ? A spoiler[demon]?spoiler[ No, its Momoka]Laughing
That line was perfect, and exactly why I am so fond of this show, especially in regards to Momoka just breaking all of the rules. By any purposes Momoka should have been spoiler[shot by the guy who had not left the starting position and was raising his gun], but Momoka just spoiler[shot him to stop that from happening and enjoyed the win]. She even spoiler[sacrificed Lemon] to an awesome but spoiler[cheap "death" from flying truck going into a helicopter].

Second part was a bit on the iffy side, but the first was also funny, cute sleepy pug was cute. The show has such great work pointing out the drop in logic, and then going all out with some crazy stuff. And the very funny part of spoiler[Miou bringing in a lion], great work of escalation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
DP, as a proud Ozian I'm surprised you didn't make a bigger deal about the fact that the third story was spoiler[set in your continent]. Anyhoo, I found this eppie more enjoyable than the previous two. I really think Momoka might be the Villain of the Year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
DP, as a proud Ozian I'm surprised you didn't make a bigger deal about the fact that the third story was spoiler[set in your continent].

Oh I was, it was going to be a part of my post, but I ended up taking it out from fear of sounding too egotistical.

If some did not pick it out, the vehicles thing was a spoiler[parody of Mad Max, which was filmed in Australia].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
And does spoiler[Ayers Rock] have a tunnel through it as the episode suggests? Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode nine had me giggling at Inugami and then she went all Momoji on Momoko who brought a platypus to a dog café/fight {they're going all out with the Aussie thing this episode}. You call that a dog? This is a dog...

The second one was mildly amusing if highly improbable that an indoor pool would have a single entrance. I know it was supposed to represent a locked equipment storage room but then that just makes me question why some storage rooms in anime have windows and now look where we are. But an indoor pool would have some. Right?

As for the third one, I thought it was a brilliant Black Lagoon parody with some Road Warrior thrown in. Right, Australia. I mean spoiler[Mad Max] 2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And does spoiler[Ayers Rock] have a tunnel through it as the episode suggests? Laughing

We call her spoiler[Uluru] now days.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Is that an homage to Lt. Uluru from the original Star Trek series? (Heh.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5