• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Riddle Story of Devil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75ChaosFlare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
I would at least give the show an average 7.5 due to the fact that it was a bit rushed and a view things were altered compared to the manga.
However, it was most likely excepted due to it being about 12 episodes were most animes nowadays don't usually extend to at least 24 episodes anymore unless for budget reasons or for popularity; which currently did not give enough time to display enough concept within most of the other assassins backgrounds that explains why they are who they are. Instead the anime directors give Q & A explaining only a little of most details about it.
As for the ending, it was indeed quite debatable but it was more about the possible theme of forgiveness(Where "The fact that your alive means your forgiven" is being put to the test), being set free from your past and making your own path for the better.
As for spoiler[ Kirigaya/Chitaru's survival, I believe it was basically a "what if" type of thing where it answer if their relationship would have a few difficulties in it should they survive. Currently Kirigaya was shown trying to patch things up with Chitaru, but due to her strong sense of duty in not being easy to admit that she changed feelings towards a person she was trying to hunt down doesn't exactly hate Kirigaya she just hasn't fully forgiven her which also would explain why she ignored her at first.]
And as for spoiler[Sumireko's survival, they didn't really have enough time to show how exactly was she able to survive a 99 floor fall but they'll most likely do that in a different broadcast that will explain it. Regardless, I still happy she's all right]
In the end the anime wasn't exactly horrible it just was more focused on the plot of things and lessen with the relationships of the other characters, which I believe would have been better if they made it 24 episodes but it is what it is.
I apologize if I angered anybody with my opinions.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Some of the rough edges can be explained by them not having enough time, but others come from giving things time they didn't need to service the assassin-of-the-week mandate they gave themselves(which also comes at the expense of Haru).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The execution of the manga's definitely better, especially with how some information's revealed earlier(eg, the bit about Angel Trumpet) and other's actually woven into the story rather than relegated to an eyecatch(eg, Isuke reveals her parentage herself).

Ugh, with not much source material to work with, the writers prioritize streamlined the whole thing with the assassination attempts. It makes me wonder if they should have wait a lot longer so they don't have to gut out too much of the relationship moments.

In any case, I hope this series gets second wind somehow considering there's a lot of potential with the setting and characters (even canonical pairing potential). I wonder how well those CDs for the various ED songs did; I heard the OP song did reasonably well.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
I think of Riddle Story of Devil as a disposable show. I never struggled through watching any episode or felt reluctance to go on and was sometimes even eager to see what happened next, but sometimes simply forgot about it and can find no interest in revisiting it. It was like a conversation at a bus stop with somebody whom you’ve never met before and will never see again: it probably didn’t mean much to either participant and will be forgotten almost as soon as it ended, but it helped to kill time.

Of course, I would rather that people just leave me alone at bus stops.

I was more intrigued by this series at first than my reaction might suggest. The premise is pretty absurd and contrived, but it was played with surprising restraint and atmosphere. The collection of characters and nature of the setting made it teeter always on the edge of falling into a cacophony affectations and clichés, but I found it almost entrancingly subdued and curiously quiet. That held my interest and some of the very traditional dramatics, such as a spoiler[real murder being carried out during a performance of Romeo & Juliet] were pleasant enough viewing. Then somewhere around the episode set in the spoiler[fancy indoor pool attraction that the school happens to have where Suzu puts a bomb around Haru’s neck] the preposterous thriller that was always lurking within seemed to kick in and it started to lose my affections. When the one girl spoiler[turned out to be a slightly crazy cyborg], the jig was up. I might have even enjoyed it more as a preposterous thriller if it had been more ebulliently nonsensical and grandly absurd, but the calm, restrained style was pretty persistent, even if just in memory, which made it silly without being much fun.

Is it wrong that I was sort of rooting for the spoiler[cute super strong crazy cyborg girl]? It doesn’t matter, I totally was rooting for her. If I had made this show Tokaku probably would have ended up getting her face caved in and Haru her head popped off. There are very good reasons that they don’t let me make cartoons…

Speaking of my predilections, I was pretty annoyed by the scarcity of any yuri in the series. It was billed as such, but went little beyond hints and suggestions. I hardly need the girls to be hugging and kissing like bonobos half the damned time; that was Sakura Trick, which I didn’t like. I do need to see them express tangible affection to one another so that I have a sense of how they relate to each other and their characters have a root to grow from. It might be a symptom of a large disinterested dryness about the characters. Beyond their dramatic functions within each episode, the personalities, experiences and desires of the girls didn’t have much feeling or richness to them. That might be excused for the classroom full of assassins, but I never felt much from Tokaku and Haru. Haru especially frustrated me, because it seemed to me as though she went nowhere. At the end, her relationship with Tokaku had hardly changed from where it was by the end of the first episode and her character was equally static. This was doubly frustrating because the events of the series provided obvious mechanisms and causes for making them closer and for changing her. The finale especially had strong potential implications for all of that, but ultimately, it was as though the emotions of the characters had a purely functional, mechanical relationship to the story. Development beyond that wasn’t necessary for it to move, so there wasn’t much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Trick was a ton of fun to watch, and that is all I care about Anime hyper

This ... bored me :-/
Metallurgista

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Just watched "Riddle Story of Devil" and "Sakura Trick" back-to-back as my first foray into yuri. I found both compelling for different reasons. Despite being set in a classroom context, Riddle Story of Devil felt like a refreshing departure from typical adolescent themes that Sakura Trick happily exploited. The latter's redeeming characteristics were the generous helpings of adorable and ridiculous throughout. Some parts even had surprising depth. If only there was something between those two extremes - a noir/dystopic action story with actual relationship development. That doesn't appear to exist, but I'm willing to compromise. Smile Can anyone recommend something similar to either of those two or just a good yuri with tomboyish protagonist a-la Tokaku Azuma?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2