• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakumatsu Rock (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote

Bakumatsu Rock (TV)

Plot Summary: In the Bakumatsu era, at the end of the shoguns' rule over Japan in the middle of the 19th century: the Tokugawa shogunate uses the brainwashing Heaven's Songs by the top idols in Shinsengumi to subjugate the country and its people. In this Japan, writing or singing any songs besides the Heaven's Songs is a capital offence. Sakamoto Ryouma and the other rockers rise up and change the world with rock 'n' roll for freedom and justice.
----------------------------------

I've seen several of the previews before and although I'm not a fan of historical genre, the music could be nice. Plus, decent character designs so I'm in this for the fun Wink

Oh and I notice there are two series this season involving male idols/singers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Shinsengumi as a rock band.
That's definitely a new concept.
This is like Hakuouki meets Uta no Prince-sama crossover.
Except this is new and has to prove its worth.
Ryo & his guitar desperately need some guidance.
But that guy sure has a nice voice ^^ & the song was pretty good.
Will give this a try.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Kinda meh. I'm not sure I'll like the MC or the songs. Otherwise, I'll expect some battle of the bands in the future against some rivals. Hey maybe he'll earn the affections of some of the girls if he really improves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The first episode didn't disappoint me. It was a little cheap (okay way cheap) but very enjoyable. I was grinning from ear to ear through it all.

The character designs are pretty and I quite enjoy the overly enthusiastic hero with his go-with-the-flow attitude. I like the concept of control through music and then the flip side of revolution through music. Samurai turned pop idol, fun stuff.

Best part, spoiler[our heroes seem to have magic music powers that makes fireworks and light explode from their bodies as well as causing their shirts to also explode and instruments to magically appear.] I like it lol.

Also, I think Gou would approve of the ending theme song. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The inevitable discussion by the writers in development:
"Gentlemen, we need a new idea or an anime."
Magic vs Samurai Neutral
Magic rockers vs samurai idols Shocked

And yes, the magical rockers spoiler[have a transformation scene]. The idea of controlling people via music being shown is a little silly. And what is up with that really pretty looking boy?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:

Best part, spoiler[our heroes seem to have magic music powers that makes fireworks and light explode from their bodies as well as causing their shirts to also explode and instruments to magically appear.] I like it lol.

I think we can all safely rename Wednesday to "Men-Dramatically-Undressing-day" Laughing

Enjoyed the episode, although the overly-excited protagonist did get a little on my nerves, but I'm completely in for the concept of Bishonen rockstar samurai with exploding clothes
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
After cringing through the first episode it is obvious that this show is far too corny for my tastes. I'll have to pass on the rest of it.

DuskyPredator wrote:
The idea of controlling people via music being shown is a little silly.

Silly, but with a grain of truth. Music is a good way to pacify the masses. Especially when regular people don't have much other entertainment.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling this show would be good, ridiculous fun, and the first episode certainly did not disappoint. I laughed at the phrase "Government Certified Top Idols", as well every time they compared the picture of that guy to broccoli. And then of course exploding clothes and magic appearing-from-nowhere musical instruments. Awesome. Although somehow the guitar appearing from thin air didn't look that odd to me, I feel like maybe I've seen that somewhere before, in another anime...? Can't figure out where, though.

Anyway, this show looks like it'll be fun, so I'll probably continue to watch it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[First fans are here! LOL
Ryoma totally lives in his own rocking world.
Guess the band needs to be more in sync.
They gotta practice to achieve that.
Dark forces are moving in the backgrounds..
Ryoma is such a klutz...
Yet somehow he has a Peace Soul.
That's gonna bring him problems..
Surprised they'd go watch the Shinsengumi concert.
Damn, it was a pretty great concert too!
Well, until Ryoma messed things up...
He really knows how to push through!
The concert turned into a rock concert!!
It might not be the best, or anywhere near the best anime this season, but it gets me fired up and that's good enough for me!]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
That CG...I liked the episode and all, but when they put CG and 2D characters in the same scene together, it just looked too weird.

Also, what are those dots on Okita's face, right above his one uncovered eye? Are they piercings? Or something else? I can't really think of what else they could be, but it just seems odd, the way they're arranged.

But anyway, glad to see Shinsaku spoiler[awaken his Peace Soul.] I find myself liking him the best despite how angry he always is. And I don't think it'll ever not amuse me to hear other characters call him "Cindy". Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that CG looked awfully out of place and just all around horrible...but this show is so much incredibly silly fun, i just might be able to overlook that.Laughing
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[It was fun to learn more about the Shinsengumi.
Our trio got to see how pro's do it.
Funny how they ended up working for them.
They're so down the food chain that it's hilarious.
Kondo seems to like the baka trio.
Shinsengumi has good songs, but they sound better with rock.
Pretty cool concert.]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
That whole propaganda video about the Shinsengumi was just too weird. It's the Shinsengumi...but they're an idol group! I mean, yes, that's part of the premise for the show and all, but it's one thing to simply see two characters named Hijikata and Okita singing on a stage, and another to watch a whole montage blending together the history of the Shinsengumi with the formation and daily routines of an idol group.

Didn't Ii Naosuke look exactly the same in that video as he does now, while Kondo was clearly much younger? Just how old is he supposed to be, anyway? Is he some sort of immortal? The real-life Ii Naosuke died in 1860, but the Shinsengumi was only founded in 1864...I know the last thing I should expect from this show is any sort of historical accuracy, it just seems a bit odd to me, since the historical counterparts for every other character were still alive at the time this series takes place.

Although speaking of historical accuracy, spoiler[Okita being told to fake having an illness is obviously a nod to the fact that the real Okita Souji had tuberculosis.] I actually learned this fact after watching Gintama. See? Anime can be educational! Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

They have TV cameras?
Okay this is getting far too weird, there has been absolutely no mention of televisions so I feel totally out of the period. Rather than make all the idol stuff look modern the least they could do is try to show what idols during that period might be like, instead it is coming off as rather shallow.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[When no one wants you, just start playing in the streets.
That proved to be a bad choice.
They sure come up with the weirdest ideas..
Getting a manager. Doubt that was smart.
Yataro looked like a suspicious character right off the bat.
Katsura was having a personal crisis for some reason.
Maybe he just missed his old sensei.
Looks like our band is doing something right since Shinsengumi was worried about the concert.
Guess that's recognition enough.
The concert was a success.
People are starting to like them..]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2