• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Title Including Symbols: "Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girl "

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
This anime was recently added to the database:
Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girl (anime#16122)

I think the title needs adjusted per the title translation rules: "You may only use ★ or ~ or other weird separators for the original (kanji) Japanese title. "
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
If you're really only allowed to use ~ in kanji titles, then I think that there are a lot that need to be changed...

anime#2568
anime#7818
anime#15215
anime#6675
anime#15333
Like a billion Da Cappo shows...

And lots more.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
That's true, but in this case I'd say that "~" is normalized enough (and easy to type) that it isn't as big of a deal as a main entry including a star symbol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Umm.. got any tips as to how it should be written without the star (HisCoool? Hi sCoool?) ^^;

As for the others, I got as far as "Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~", saw who entered that particular title and who had hidden Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi" (which I would normally have changed it to) and threw my hands up. The rules have been modified over the years but I don't like messing around with things entered by senior staff...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Umm.. got any tips as to how it should be written without the star (HisCoool? Hi sCoool?) ^^;

As for the others, I got as far as "Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~", saw who entered that particular title and who had hidden Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi" (which I would normally have changed it to) and threw my hands up. The rules have been modified over the years but I don't like messing around with things entered by senior staff...

My suggestion would be to move it to a Japanese alternate title as "Hi sCoool" (treating the star as a separator between words) and change the main title to Sega Hard Girls.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell though, while "Sega Hard Girls" is the name of the franchise, the title of the anime is "Hi☆sCoool! セガール" so that should still be the main title, however it is spelt.

I've changed the star for a space for now as suggested (it is within the bounds of a "minor edit" since it is non-alphanumeric).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I think the title needs adjusted per the title translation rules: "You may only use ★ or ~ or other weird separators for the original (kanji) Japanese title. "

There have been quite a few news articles keep using ★ or ~, even after the rule of alt. title for the Encyclopedia entry has been implemented.

Methinks it's a good opportunity to discuss about the consistency issue between news articles and Encyc.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

There have been quite a few news articles keep using ★ or ~, even after the rule of alt. title for the Encyclopedia entry has been implemented.

Methinks it's a good opportunity to discuss about the consistency issue between news articles and Encyc.

Ah, do you mind providing recent examples? I only did a preliminary search by putting both the darkened star and the tilde in the CMS search. I didn't get any results, so at the very least it doesn't appear that titles with those symbols are used at all in our news headlines. I also got zero search results when I put "★" and "~" into the general site search field, but I'm wondering if that's due to a limitation on the search engine.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Take a look at the anime I linked above, for example. The news links there all use ~, and this is the most recent.

I'm not sure I consider a tilde to be a weird separator though...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Take a look at the anime I linked above, for example. The news links there all use ~, and this is the most recent.

I'm not sure I consider a tilde to be a weird separator though...

I can't say without knowing which one predated the other (encyc title vs. news story) but over at news we're most often going to use whatever title gets the greenlink to work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
If I ever see tildes in newer titles in the encyclopedia I will remove it, and will swap colons and hyphens to match the rules. I'm pretty sure the greenlinks in news articles update automagically to match.

--edit--

Well, lets experiment since we have an example
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-03/singer-ayumi-hamasaki-weds-ucla-medical-student and anime#15333 both currently say "Buddha 2: Tezuka Osamu no Buddha ~Owarinaki Tabi~".

I'm going to change that on the encylopedia side to "Buddha 2: Tezuka Osamu no Buddha - Owarinaki Tabi". Now we need to wait however long it takes for it to propogate.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's now 4 hours later and now the news article still has ~ and a greenlink to Buddha 2, but the anime page no longer links to the news article.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Here's another recent one: Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show☆Best Ten

anime#15887

Also, it auto-changed the article to the colon version for me. So success?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I would think partial success. The copy in the news article looks good now, but you've still lost the link from the anime's encyclopedia page to the news article. I know it was there before, because that's what I used to locate news articles with referencing anime with ~ in the title.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I would think partial success. The copy in the news article looks good now, but you've still lost the link from the anime's encyclopedia page to the news article. I know it was there before, because that's what I used to locate news articles with referencing anime with ~ in the title.

Still a success, if I'm interpreting your response correctly. The only reason the article would show up in the "news" section under the Encyc entry is if the green link was set as "Topic of this article" instead "reference."

It shouldn't have been set as the topic of the article, because the article was about Ayumi Hamasaki's marriage, not Buddha 2. It was an mistake on the greenlink setting to have it set as "topic" to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1