• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Negima

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, for all of those who liked the original (or are just watching it) the new Negima has started airing and, as they mentioned before, it's a completely different story from the manga and the first anime. If anything, I would say this is a different series that's more of a parody of the first one at best.

There are several things pointing towards this in the first episode, the ever-changing words on the Blackboard, the parodies to other comedies such as Pani Poni Dash (Nekokami-sama clock) and Azu Dai (Chiyo-chan + detachable hair =), as well as the class going wild and stuff starts falling from the ceiling; most of which are used in comedy animes or in parodies.

Needless to say, the events happen very differently as well, you meet Chamo in the first ep, people are already being attacked by a certain character, and Se-chan and Asuna's roommate (name?) are already (or rather still) close, not to mention Asuna's eyes now being the same color.

If you're expecting something like the original anime or manga, don't watch it, perish the thought of this being the same, it may be similar, but in no way is it near the same (even the campus has drastic changes such as the World Tree not being on a hill but rather closer to the center of campus surrounded by a brick walkway).

I see most of the Negima fans being disappointed, but that'll only happen if you expect what came from the original, so people who haven't watched the original (and who are clueless to the storyline of the original) will most likely enjoy it a bit more.

For a first episode, I give it a 6/10 cause it could've been handled better.

[EDIT: Please try to use paragraph breaks next time. Thanks -TK]
Webki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
That's disappointing to me, a lover of the manga. I was hoping for a much more well-done edition of the real story, not some spin-off.

Oh well, can't get everything you want. I guess I'll still watch it when I finally finish the manga.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
I've been told that, in stark contrast to the OVAs, the Negima!? series is comparable in quality to a show called Gundoh Musashi, which would beat out Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni as the lowest budget anime in recent memory.

Is there truth in this assessment?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
It was definetely NOT cheaply made; it's solid enough given what SHAFT is capable of. Though since Akiyuki Shinbo did direct this version, there were LOTS of trippiness similar to what you've seen in Petite Cossette and MoonPhase combined with the silly comedic antics of Pani Poni Dash (the changing blackboards are BACK Laughing ). Since I loved those series and his style (well maybe except Soultaker even though that started most of it), I thought it was really sweet. Though I'll say this, SHAFT's version of dealing with Evangeline is far better than Xebec's in terms of detail. Heck, even Negi gets plus points for having eye-catching, magic circles. And not to mention the art work have a much better color pallet; Xebec's version was far too dull.

Hmmm, it's pretty interesting to note how people are split with this series. Some manga readers who have read this already thought this is the best thing that ever happens. Who knows, maybe this version will follow the fantasy, action aspect of which this manga is popular for.
ORLY?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
What really bugs me the most about this new series is the fact that Asuna's eyes aren't different colors Confused
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe this series will throw in a plot point where Asuna does get her different eye color. I have an idea about it, but I think it's too outrageous and kind of gruesome. Shocked
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Maybe this series will throw in a plot point where Asuna does get her different eye color. I have an idea about it, but I think it's too outrageous and kind of gruesome. Shocked

Y'know, I prefer her with the 2 blue eyes instead.

By the way, anyone noticing any differences listed here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima%21%3F
beezis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
I didn't dislike the pilot episode. It could have been better but as stated before, this is more of an alternate retelling than anything else. Mai HiME to Mai Otome? 6-7/10.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see the second episode yet, but I did check out the new OP sequence. And I'm going to say this...Akiyuki Shinbo is a GOD of awesome eye-candy! It was actually pretty nifty since the whole sequence used desks with some of the girls saying stuff. Near the end is when the actual singing occured. The whole thing felt so.....I don't know....adventurous? One thing is for sure, design-wise, this version has already kicked Xebec's version out the window. Cool

Hopefully FUNimation plans on getting this version.
Ragg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I watched all of the first season, and thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the parts where Negima goes through his "mage battles." I was hoping the regular Negima turned out to be something more like School Rumble, which I just finished the second term of, but in my opinion it was kind of different from what I was expecting.

The opening of the new Negima is a lot different than the first one, and I really don't like it. A bit too much of a serious feel to not that much of a serious anime.

Lastly, I thought this new Negima was supposed to be a continuation?
spoiler[In the end of the first Negima, Asuna dies, and then Negi goes back in time and tries to save her, however they end up just killing that Demon who makes a pact with Asuna which says it doesn't change anything. Does Asuna live or die in the end?]

Is this anime just a remake of the first anime, or is it going to continue the story line of the first one sooner or later?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess a more appropriate term for the Negima!? series is this an alternate retelling (hmmm, maybe the Encyclopedia should make a note of that). And man, this series is REALLY splits the viewers; they either seriously love it or seriously hate it. Neutral
Ragg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I guess a more appropriate term for the Negima!? series is this an alternate retelling (hmmm, maybe the Encyclopedia should make a note of that). And man, this series is REALLY splits the viewers; they either seriously love it or seriously hate it. Neutral

Yeah it does, since I kind of viewed the first anime as a split type of anime. It left me unable to really put it down clearly, since it was kind of like a romance/comedy anime, but went into too much detail for the action scenes to just stop at the "romance/comedy" classification.

Does anyone have an idea to where this anime is going to lead to? I think it's pointing towards expanding more Negi's development as a magician vs the relationship between him and his class. Who knows, but the way it's turning out right now is not something I would watch.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I've been told that, in stark contrast to the OVAs, the Negima!? series is comparable in quality to a show called Gundoh Musashi, which would beat out Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni as the lowest budget anime in recent memory.

Is there truth in this assessment?

Hey I liked Higurashi's animation.. Anywho, New Negima looks amazing, Xebec's awful "effort" aint got nothing on this. Colors are vibrant, movements smooth and lots of details pepper each scene.
Quote:

I watched all of the first season, and thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the parts where Negima goes through his "mage battles." I was hoping the regular Negima turned out to be something more like School Rumble, which I just finished the second term of, but in my opinion it was kind of different from what I was expecting.

Ack, the best part of the manga ARE the battles. And the first show messed those up horribly, not to mention that fanservice was mediocre at best. If the new shows focuses on the action element it will be everything I've hoped for. In the end I can get plenty of fan service from the Ova. Also, the school life aspect starts to wear thin pretty soon.

I got the feeling like the first episode assumed some familiarity with the characters and story on behalf of the viewer and hence plunged full speed ahead into the good stuff. It doesn't seem to me like its a Mai-Hime/Otome deal at all either, just changing some stuff around to benefit the action side of the story.

Color me impressed
Ragg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ack, the best part of the manga ARE the battles.

I guess this is where the line is drawn for who likes/dislikes the second season of Negima.
shh227

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
This new spinoff remake reminds me of Tenchi. When Tenchi muyo OVA became Tenchi Universe a year later. Or when Hellsing did a remake of their tv series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5