• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Negima

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
On a side note, how does the average Negima! fan feel about the possibility of having to re-purchase the series. I'm guessing that is what is going to happen. Are they mad about it, or is the prospect of having two versions of it a novel situation?
I think this is the first time ever that two versions of a series has been produced almost back-to-back.

It's not two versions of the same series. They are two different series. The new one starts off with a variation of the Evangeline arc and then goes off in a different direction. And the style is completely different.

And "re-purchasing" assumes A) the new season gets licensed (likely, but difficult to say given its rather unique circumstance), B) that fan wants to buy the new series, and C) that fan bought the first series anyway.

If this new series gets licensed, I will happily buy it as I am enjoying it. However, I only saw the first episode of the first series, and I'll wait for a boxset of it if I get it at all.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's not two versions of the same series. They are two different series. The new one starts off with a variation of the Evangeline arc and then goes off in a different direction. And the style is completely different.

Pssh...

Same characters
Same setting
Different story
Different art style

They're versions - but whatever. That's just knit-pickin'. Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

It's like comparing two different fan-fiction based off the same anime.

chicogrande wrote:
According to the wikipedia entry: "When Negi attempts to erase Asuna's memories of seeing his magic, Asuna is not stripped of her clothes."

Aw!, er, I mean, good. We need to cut back on stripping the clothes off girls...with magic.

Though - the Spring OVA animated and directed by the same group - that shows they CAN do Fanservice -- effectively. Laughing Laughing

So, I shall agree to Setsuna gazing at Konoka's sexy bod in a bathing suit. An ass fetish isn't too bad either. Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

Needless to say, this new version with Negima!? doesn't need the Fanservice - for it would only serve as a distraction. Besides, they already use humor to cover that job.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Pssh...

Same characters
Same setting
Different story
Different art style

They're versions - but whatever. That's just knit-pickin'. Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

It's like comparing two different fan-fiction based off the same anime.

When I hear "different versions" I think of something like the Densha Otoko/Train Man situation. There all different versions of the same story, just told differently.

This is a lot different, and the best comparison I can think of at the moment is the difference between the Mai HiME anime and manga. Same cast and world, more or less, but vastly different other than that.

Quote:
Needless to say, this new version with Negima!? doesn't need the Fanservice - for it would only serve as a distraction. Besides, they already use humor to cover that job.

To be honest, I don't think the manga really needs it either. It's been pretty low in recent volumes anyway, at least if we define fanservice as pantyshots and the like. It was the worst in the first volume or two and was slowly reduced to a point of being almost non-existant. The story, characters, and humor are enough.

Of course, that's not to say I don't enjoy occasional fanservice, provided its done right and in moderation.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, I tend to go back to Volume one just to look at Nodoka on the floor surrounded by books - with her legs spread wide. The manga can do all it wants as far as I'm concerned. There's plenty of paper to go around. Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Oh, I tend to go back to Volume one just to look at Nodoka on the floor surrounded by books - with her legs spread wide. The manga can do all it wants as far as I'm concerned. There's plenty of paper to go around. Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

Indeed. As I said, fanservice is not inherently bad (in my opinion, at least). It's just not good when it is excessive or stupid (the whole sneeze thing, for example), or distracts or hurts more other, more important things. Nothing wrong with some panties or nudity every now and then. Very Happy Very Happy
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:

To be honest, I don't think the manga really needs it either. It's been pretty low in recent volumes anyway, at least if we define fanservice as pantyshots and the like. It was the worst in the first volume or two and was slowly reduced to a point of being almost non-existant. The story, characters, and humor are enough.

Non-existant? Are we reading the same manga? Volume 11 was the most recent domestic release, right? We'll assume KitsuNegi doesn't count as fanservice, so chapter 90 is pretty tame, but then 91 is the cosplay contest, which is exclusively fanservice, complete with stripped down Chisame. Chapter 92 has Asuna, Setsuna, Konoka, and Eva in bathing suits (all one-piece suits, no bikinis).
Chapter 93 starts the tournament, so less fanservice there, maybe? Nope. While not exactly a panty-shot, we've got an image looking up (technically down) Sakura Mei's skirt. Chapter 94 has more shots of Ku Fei's panties than I'm going to bother to count, and then you've got Takane being the first victim of the robots' laser-strip-beam in chapter 95. Even during the big fight running chapter 96 to 99 Akamatsu still managed to stick in a panty-shot of Kazumi, and then you've got a couple pictures of Mana in her outfit at the end.

And if I recall rightly, this IS one of the slower volumes for fanservice, and it picks up again soon.

At times, I wish there wasn't quite so much nudity and girls clad only in their undergarments. Thusly, I find the new series an enjoyable change in that aspect, as well as being incredibly superior in visual appeal and plot adaptation.

Final comment for the post: I think the new design for Nodoka is sexy.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Volume 10 was the one in which there was almost none. Volume 11 had more, but I was thinking more along the lines of pantyshots and nudity, in which there was only a little bit in the cosplay chapter, as far as I recall. When I said 'fanservice" I was thinking about pantyshots, nudity and boobgrabs. I didn't think of swimsuits in that equation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 5.......

/end episode! Surprised

Her awesomeness has also pretty much toppled Chisame's popularity as well! Laughing

The editing and pacing of this episode was really insane, but here are the main points that happened:

spoiler[- Negi activated Nodoka's cosplay card which allowed her to read through the minds of other people via her diary picture book.

- Asuna's chupacabara hunt is still there.

- The enemy is back, and it used a growing tree branch to capture Konoka.

- Negi tried to activate Asuna's powers, but she ended up as a chibi boar. According to Chamo, Negi has 1 out of 3 chance of choosing a "dud" card which render's the girls completely useless in battle (but they look SO CUTE; kill the enemy with cuteness, I say!!! Embarassed).

- Setsuna ended up setting her free, but she was unable to catch the falling Konoka in the process. Negi ended up saving her.

- Now that Setsuna and Konoka knows that Negi has magic powers, Konoka took it upon herself to have Negi to make a contract with her.

- In the end, Chisame, Kaede, and Yuuna were brainwashed by the enemy and attacked Negi and the others.]

The OP sequence changed a bit with Ku Fei, Makie, and class representative Ayaka singing it. Now episode 6 should satisfy Konoka x Setsuna fans! Cool

spoiler[Those 3 girls who were brainwashed were about to attack so Negi activated Asuna's, Nodoka', and Konoka's pactio cards. To his dismay, he drew out 3 dud cards so Setsuna stepped in to fight off the attack. This gave Negi enough time to teleport the others to another place.

While replenishing the girls' hunger, Konoka suggested that Setsuna should make a contract with Negi so Setsuna can be stronger (and not to mention it'll be like getting an indirect kiss from Konoka....CUE YURI FANTASY SCENE Cool )

The group then wandered and ended up at some castle. Then Chisame, Kaede, and Yuuna appeared and began their attack. Negi tried to activate the girls' cards again and was able to successfully activate their most powerful form. With it, Nodoka has the ability to predict enemies movement, and Konoka uses those fortune telling chopsticks has her weapons (she was pretty damn good at it Shocked).

Afterwards, everyone regrouped inside the castle where Nodoka used her powers to research of how to get out of the place. She mentioned that Negi has to seal the fairy. So while the powered-up girls were fighting against the brainwashed girls, Negi and Setsuna set their sights on the fairy. When Negi was about to seal it awhile, the fairy did a surprised attack and trapped the two. Negi's magic and Setsuna's blade were ineffective. Also the girls' powers went out so the fairy took the opportunity to capture them. Setsuna has no choice but have Negi make a contract with her. Once that's done, Negi then activated her most powerful pactio card which has her in wings (her stance suspiciously looks like the Freedom Gundam from Gundam SEED). And with Setsuna's new powers, she COMPLETELY owned those girls and saved Asuna, Nodoka, and Konoka in the process. And Negi successfully sealed the fairy away.]

This brought tears of joy in my eyes! Crying or Very sad

Next episode seems to concentrate on that ghost girl Sayo. And the ED sequence included chibi Konoka playing the tamborine. Man, Negima!? is shaping up to be one kickass series! God, I hope FUNimation gets this. With the already better FUNi's dub of the first Negima! series, this series will elevate so many levels of AWESOMENESS! Cool
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Just saw episode five spoiler[I thought Nodoka's book worm cosplay was extreamly cute. I wonder what Nodako's "dud"" card will look like]...man this series is really good and also hope FUNimation gets this. He's kissed like three chicks and I will asume he gets to kiss all the girls lucky bastard man I hope Negi doesn't get mono...now that would suck. Laughing

All I have about episode 6 is that Setsuna's angel form made her very sexy. Razz Plus she's wicked strong...wonder what her dud card looks like. Speaking of dud cards Nodoka's was a spoiler[dolphine] which I thought she looked sorta cute in...
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the new episodes were awsome. can't wait for more.
This is one my favorite animes that i am currently watching.
The cards each time being diffrent is a great idea. also the animation is super smooth with great timings, really captures your attension.
The paradoys are very well timed as well ( street fighter 2 , side scroll games and Pani Poni Dash! )
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, as a Xebec apologist, I'd been avoiding this one for awhile, but I finally broke down and got the first episode. Indeed, it was definitely reminiscent of Paniponi Dash! and Azumanga Daioh (in terms of the reactions and smalleyes segments), but I have to say that it was visually impressive. Story-wise, it seems like there was a "we need an opening hook, let's do this vampire arc" thing going on, but at least they tied everything in to the Thousand Master flashback.

So, I will check out future episodes, but I still won't go back on what I've said in the past--I'm still getting the Negima! DVDs as they come out, and if I like Negima!? the whole way through and it has a decent ending, I'll probably be purchasing it as well.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The first three episodes are a variation on the Evangeline arc of the manga/first series, but after that it goes a different direction.

Episodes 5 and 6 have *finally* been subbed, but I won't be able to watch them until this evening. :cries: Something about a holiday and family....
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 is another win with THIS!!! The staff members seriously know how to bring out the goodness in each of the Negima characters.

If you haven't noticed, this episode introduces the ghost girl Sayo. Though most of the episode is mostly a "Pani Poni Dash"-esque style comedy!

spoiler[- Asuna foolishly made lots of chupacabra T-shirts, and so she tried so hard to sell them to her classmates.

- Negi learned a new spell which allowed to see spirits which led him to discover Sayo. He's willing to help her to find some clues of her past since Sayo forgot them.

- Sayo pretty much got seperated from Negi and wandered off to the girls' dormitory and caused one heck of a ruckus.

- In the end, Sayo apologies for the actions she made though throug the use of Asakura's camera lens and Eva's little magic, all the girls were able to see what Sayo looks like.

- And throughout the episode, Asuna has NO idea about any of this! ]

My god, the Zelda references were INSANE!!! And I noticed the title card at the very start of the episode is the exact same design used in Love Hina. And what the hell is with Ayako's room?! God that's creepy! Shocked

At least we get a glimpse of where each of girls' rooms are located.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And throughout the episode, Asuna has NO idea about any of this!

That's because she was too preoccupied with the T-shirts. Laughing

Quote:
At least we get a glimpse of where each of girls' rooms are located.

And who is roomed with who. Using Zelda graphics was ingenious. Obviously, the Studio Shaft team are gamers. Twisted Evil
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Ha I loved the Zelda refrence in episode 7 to. Finally we meet Sayo.spoiler[ I was a bit disturbed by the class president though I mean she really is a shota/stalker...I mean Negi merchandise covers thee whole room, creepy.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5