• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Sweetness and Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
What if one doesn't wanna cast minorities or girls in their works; isn't that freedom of expression too
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Everyone who cites "freedom of expression" in response to mere criticism should be slapped to death with a dead trout.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What if one doesn't wanna cast minorities or girls in their works; isn't that freedom of expression too

That's their choice. They don't have to. Just like I don't have to play their stuff either.

I personally care very little about the issue of representation so much as I care about the issue of variety. The thing about middle aged, brown haired, white male protagonists is they are usually chosen because they're the most majority audience friendly archetype. And when companies go for the majority audience appeal, that generally means we see a lot of the same things over and over again because that's what sells the most. It gets old for me. It's why I generally stay away from games by EA, Activision, Ubisoft and similar companies. I don't care who I play as, I just want it to be interesting.

But that's not to say the right protagonist archetype can't catch my interest and make me check out a game just for novelty's sake, like the SNES RPG Eternal Filena which stars a cross-dressing lesbian. Though given a lot of modern JRPGs with yuri undertones, that's not really a novelty anymore I suppose. But it was 1995, things were different back then. I suppose that's part of the reason why it was never released in America as well.

-Stuart Smith
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I personally care very little about the issue of representation so much as I care about the issue of variety. The thing about middle aged, brown haired, white male protagonists is they are usually chosen because they're the most majority audience friendly archetype. And when companies go for the majority audience appeal, that generally means we see a lot of the same things over and over again because that's what sells the most. It gets old for me.

What about majority otaku appeal. Or any other appeal that sells most. We somewhat agree; I'm for variety too. I don't mind having anything of everything, just that when too much of something, as they say, everything in moderation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4