• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Better that title than yet another anime with Tokyo in it. We don't need ESPer Ghouls causing Terror all at the same time. I think it'd sound better translated as Reverberations/Resonation of Terror, but I guess it depends on the idea that the show's trying to get across. At least it doesn't completely miss like Attack on Titan does for Shingeki no Kyojin.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
That actually sounds like a catchy name and concept for an anime series (or at the very least an episode title):

Terror in Tokyo: ESPer Ghouls!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Free! was super goofy and campy and fun to watch. In other words, more of the same, which is absolutely fine by me! The ripple effects in the whole "pool filled with sakura" scene were really gorgeous.

I also watched that other thing. I don't think I stopped laughing once after they first mentioned the word "rock". I probably won't watch more because busy, but maybe if I get the time I will, just to see how goofy it gets.

Most of the shows I'm looking forward to this season are second seasons or second cours, but I'll be checking out Zankyou no Terror, Ao Haru Ride, and Glasslip for sure, and maybe Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. Otherwise, can't wait for Book of Circus and Space Dandy!
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

Also, why did they make Rin a male stripper in the ending? It's funny though.

That's because he didn't get to dance in the gay club with the others in the first ED. Wink

Loved Free! (of course) and also enjoyed Bakumatsu Rock in a weird kind of way, mostly because i was re-imagining it with the character's respective Gintama counterparts in my head.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

So the internet could do awesome things like this

Yulhen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
king 47 wrote:

Wow! So cute... Surprised
king 47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

haha, of course. That was quick but I'm not surprised.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
By my count, five shows are airing tomorrow. (Funny how Thursdays are the biggest day for anime).

Hope you peeps are up for it. I know I am.
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The # of "Free" fans really surprises me.

I don't understand all the people that are only watching Free so that Kyoto Animation continues to make this crap instead of actually good anime as some kind of spite to so-called "moe" anime. Kyoto is one of the biggest and best in the industry and you're just wasting their time. It'd be like having Ghibli do the series. It's so frustrating that I get this garbage instead of Angel Beats season 2! Don't you realize you're just hurting the anime industry as a whole by watching this show out of spite? Moe is not harming the industry... they're the shows that actually sell and keep the anime lights on. If people keep watching this crap and other studios foolishly follow suit it might be the end of anime as we know it when they realize this fanbase was just trolling them and wasn't actually interested in these type of shows.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
All I've watched so far is Free! ES and Bakumatsu Rock. Free! was definitely the better of the two. Without a doubt.

Free! ES had some great fanservice shots, and Makoto got a decent amount of focus and that is all I need in life. Lots of Makoto. Rin is ten times better this season and I swear if he gets angtsy again I am protesting. I'm already so excited for next episode! I can't wait to see more Sousuke.

Bakumatsu Rock was just... weird. It was kind of dumb and I thought it was paced a little weird, but it was dumb in a fun kind of way. I'll give a few more episodes before I decide on it.

I'm excited for Tokyo Ghoul today though.

AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
The # of "Free" fans really surprises me.

Blah blah blah. stop having fun and only watch super srs cartoons.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
It's so frustrating that I get this garbage instead of Angel Beats season 2!

Um... You do realise that Angel Beats! was done not by KyoAni, right? Confused

Last edited by Ignatz on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Um... You do realise that Angel Beats! was done not by KyoAni, right?

Not to mention that even if they did, they still would not have the rights to the series.
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
What in the bloody hell are you even talking about?

Nobody is watching it out of an anti-moe agenda, whatever that means. And Free S1 sold a ton, so i'm not sure what you mean with that either.

Did it sell more than Clannad or most high-profile shows that come from Kyoto? No. Sales dropped off pretty hard after that first volume that indicates most support was just token.

Ignatz wrote:
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Um... You do realise that Angel Beats! was done not by KyoAni, right? Confused

You're right. I just associate Key with Kyoto and it slipped my mind. Probably had to pass on it when they're messing around with garbage like Free however. Hopefully there are other studios to pick up the slack if Kyoto is going to continue to drop the ball.

Rivailloli wrote:
Oh, you're right. Shows like Free! don't get really any financial support. That's why its first season sold at a 29k average.

"moe" works aren't going to go away just because of free! the only thing that will happen is more works like free! will probably get aimed at women.

29k is not very good (Clannad was easily 4x this). Also a lot of fujoshi buy DVDs instead of Blurays so sales figures are slightly warped. Also you should learn some basic economics. They only have so many employees and there is a limited amount of distribution on TV... so yes, by making this show they are NOT making something else that would sell much, much better.

Last edited by AnimeKnight2034 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
They're not going to support the show financially and if other studios follow suit and abandon moe (which fans actually support) for this type of stuff (which they don't) we're going to have a problem... Pretty basic to understand.

Just what on earth have you been smoking? Free! is KyoAni's best-selling anime since K-ON. Where are you getting this crazy idea that the anime industry will plummet because Free doesn't bring enough cash to support it, when it's brought more money than KyoAni's last batch of moe shows has (Chuu2Koi, KyoKana, Tamako, Hyouka, Nichijou). The reason the industry is opening to the female market is because it's working (not only Free, look at T&B, UtaPri and KuroBas have been massive hits because fujoshi are buying them like crazy)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Nobody is watching it out of an anti-moe agenda, whatever that means. And Free S1 sold a ton, so i'm not sure what you mean with that either.

To be fair, I've seen a few people who like Free yet bash male oriented fanservice anime. I think one of more amusing videos I saw was by a girl named JesuOtaku. She spent around 10 minutes talking about how a fanservice anime aimed at men was bad because it had boobs and was campy/shallow, and then immediately went on a 10 minute gush on how Free was amazing. There was a bit lack of self awareness on that part.

-Stuart Smith.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 51