• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mazinger Z Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
For a second, I thought this was gonna be a review on Shin Mazinger Z.

I'm sorta glad that wasn't the case. Sorta.

[go nagai + toei animation + 1970s = bad combo]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm more eager to get the Devil Man set myself. Those old Go Nagai mecha shows might've worked back then, but the 70s pacing and repetition is terrible today. Though the spin-offs and reboots are fun. And I am kind of interested in the original Getter Robo, at least.

Quote:
The series was animated such that as much of it as possible could be reused.

Yeah, that's Toei craftsmanship right there. Rolling Eyes Just get GoLion instead.

Quote:
spearheaded by the bold, heroic vocals of Ichiro Mizuki and edged with rousing choral highlights;

Yeah, no matter how you feel about those Go Nagai anime, you can't bash the Mizuki.

Dmon:
Quote:
I think it's QUITE fascinating how almost all his works are mean-spirited and misogynistic. I mean really? ALL OF THEM?! Even by accident, there should be one that isn't.

Devil Man Lady?

Takkun: Toei's a bad combination for most shows. I think Slam Dunk is as good as it gets for them.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
But Karl, MSG and Eva are shit.

Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Anno is only good with Gunbuster.

Those are some pretty bold statements hahaha.

But yeah, I always expected Mazinger Z to be some total corn fest, but hell, I didn't know it wasn't an entertaining one, I'll be sure to avoid it. On the upside I hear Shin Mazinger Z is rather good and Discotek will be putting that out later down the line so I can check that out, but then there's the absolutely incredible Mazinkaiser SKL which is technically not by Nagai himself but a spinoff of Mazinkaiser. It's basically The Raid: Redemption with heavy metal, GAR-ness and mechs, it is actually great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I disagree, AiddonValentine. I think it's QUITE fascinating how almost all his works are mean-spirited and misogynistic. I mean really? ALL OF THEM?! Even by accident, there should be one that isn't.

Good point; if a single one doesn't show any signs of being an outlier than the idea that such themes are completely intentional increase manifold. Not exactly something someone should want to be suspected of.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Give Mazinger Z its due. It's an epochal work, one of the defining series of anime's Super Robot era. If you want to understand the evolution of giant robots in the anime medium, then you must understand Mazinger. If you want to enjoy giant robots in the anime medium... well, that's what Mazinger's descendants are for.

Spot on. This is as even handed, fair, and respectful of the significance of the work as anyone could reasonably expect while still offering an honest negative opinion of the work itself. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the review.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Not true, Anno is only good when Kazuki Nakashima is writing, and more importantly when other people are actually directing and Anno is just supervising. So Anno just plain sucks as a director.

I just said it to be cool and edgy like the reviewer. My comments can't be anymore flawed than Nagai being misogynistic especially when you consider that Harenchi Gakuen (one of Nagai's first work) has strong female leads. And not to mention Cutie Honey, Kekko Kamen, Iron Virgin Jun, Maboroshi Panty and so on.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:

But yeah, I always expected Mazinger Z to be some total corn fest, but hell, I didn't know it wasn't an entertaining one, I'll be sure to avoid it. On the upside I hear Shin Mazinger Z is rather good and Discotek will be putting that out later down the line so I can check that out, but then there's the absolutely incredible Mazinkaiser SKL which is technically not by Nagai himself but a spinoff of Mazinkaiser. It's basically The Raid: Redemption with heavy metal, GAR-ness and mechs, it is actually great.

Mazinger has some pretty good episodes like the Lorelei one and Minerva. Also, Mazinger Z vs Ankoku Daishogun is an absolute blast to watch.

Most Toei Nagai collaborations don't actually end up like what Nagai would actually write in his comics. They target different audiences. Nagai didn't have much to do in the show. I heard he designed the mechanical beasts but that's about it. A lot of was left to the Toei writers at the time.

DmonHiro wrote:
GVman wrote:
Elaborate. He's sexist for sure, but so was nearly every other guy in Japan in the 1970s.

And that may have been acceptable back then. It isn't now. I do not enjoy watching a mean-spirited asshole in anime, especially when they're the main character. Sure, I enjoy the playful asshole MC once in a while (Kaze No Stigma, Hagure Yuusha), but 96 episodes of a dumb jerk as the MC? Hell no.

Funny how you recommend SKL, when the MCs in that show are actually way more sexist than Kouji ever was. Kouji is not really sexist. He's just gay for Duke Fleed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
SantaBla wrote:
But Karl, MSG and Eva are shit.

Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Anno is only good with Gunbuster.

Those are some pretty bold statements hahaha.

Sadly Shin Mazinger also lacks Windshield Wipers.

Though seriously its a Super Robot show directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa and that automatically makes it one of the best anime out there.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
Funny how you recommend SKL, when the MCs in that show are actually way more sexist than Kouji ever was. Kouji is not really sexist. He's just gay for Duke Fleed.

I recommended SKL to him because he enjoyed Majinkaiser, not because I like it, or because the MC is not sexist.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
SantaBla wrote:

I recommended SKL to him because he enjoyed Majinkaiser, not because I like it, or because the MC is not sexist.

I liked Mazinkaiser and Mazinkaiser SKL is just boring, they have nothing to do with each other anyway.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The original Mazinger Z is definitely one of those historical works that is mostly important due to its towering influence on the mecha genre, both in terms of general formula and mechanical design, rather than for anything resembling sophistication, fluid animation or intelligence. You won't get very far into the show if you're looking for those.

That said, I think the simplicity of the series and even its repetitiveness can be appreciated by those who aren't mecha historians. For instance, its intended target audience of actual children or those who are still in tune with the part of their being that enjoys watching some purely juvenile entertainment, even if its more problematic aspects cannot be denied.

Sometimes we want something more fulfilling, which Imagawa's re-interpretation provides, but at other times it's nice to just turn your brain off and enjoy colorful robots or giant monsters fighting. Of course, after a certain age this is best done in moderation.

Needless to say, the theme song is an absolute classic. I love listening to it.

Last edited by nightjuan on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I am not going to say Mazinger Z is my Favorite Super Robot Anime by Go Nagai. That would be Ufo Robo Grendizer followed by Getter Robo G then Mazinger. I Love the 70'S Super Robot Anime, particularly Toei's. Other Faves include Gaiking, Danguard Ace, and sequels like Getter Robo Armageddon and an Alternative history like Shin Mazinger arriving in 2015. I cannot wait to get the 2nd Mazinger Z collection in December. I don't agree with the review at all.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
What an awful review. If he feels like that, then he should really stick to 21st century anime because I suppose nothing made in the 70's will live up to his demanding standards.

Koji being sexist? Well welcome to Japan my friend. And things were much worse back in those days. I suppose if you watched something like Sanctuary you'd report the author to the UN Comission on Human Rights.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Is that always the case? Scientist can build all this crazy stuff but can't put in a windshield wiper. That's like Gilligan's Island logic. It seems that no matter what incarnation of Mazinger they do Koji is always an a$$. Then add a harpy of a girlfriend that tries to put a leash around his neck. I've always wondered how he got the job and how the hell Sayaka decided to get hooked up with him.

Does anyone know where I can find that interview with Tomino?
sypherman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Whole lot of hate getting tossed around this thread over cartoons? really?
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
NOTE: I edited this post to make it flow logically after the mod cleanup.

Guess it's sad to hear that it was a phoned-in monster of the week thing, but that was the way with all Nagai anime back then. I've read part of the manga and it's very good.

Also, sexism is still around; won't be going anywhere anytime soon. That was the 70s, the era of women's lib and blah blah blah. So yeah.

Last edited by doomydoomdoom on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11