• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mazinger Z Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravendruid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching a dubbed version of this show, then named Tranzor Z, on tv back in the early 80s. I thought it was pretty much the most awesome thing I'd ever seen, but then, I was about five years old at the time. However it was the first anime that I'd seen and was really the genesis of my lifelong love of the genre, so I have to give it some credit.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This show is bad. B-A-D, with all capital letters. Koji is one of the biggest not-so-nice-people I've ever seen in anime, and he's a moron, to boot. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but that guy from Daimidaler, who is PARODYING Koji, is a better protagonist, sexual assault and all.

PS: The windshield wiper bit cracked me up.

This show is important historically speaking so worth at least giving it a glance. Most of it is filler episodes but among the 90+ episodes lies an interesting story. Of course Mazinger Z is aimed at 10 year olds (early 1970s) so adjust your brain accordingly. And don't expect miracles. Just enjoy giant robots saving Japan (and the world) from the minions of Doctor Hell.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
At this same time Miyazaki was working on Hiedi, trying to produce such kind of animation, and it nearly killed the studio that made it. From such an attempt that studio didn't recover.

Even the reviewer says you can appreciate Mazinger Z for it's historical signifigance - yet people in the comments who agree also want to ignore the entire history of the industry at that point.
Double standard.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
If the show doesn't deserve an F but is still terrible, then couldn't it have gotten a D instead? A C- is a passing grade after all.

SantaBla wrote:
Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Don't forget to mention Garzey's Wing. Oh, wait . . .
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
At this same time Miyazaki was working on Hiedi, trying to produce such kind of animation, and it nearly killed the studio that made it. From such an attempt that studio didn't recover.

Even the reviewer says you can appreciate Mazinger Z for it's historical signifigance - yet people in the comments who agree also want to ignore the entire history of the industry at that point.
Double standard.

That's because Miyazaki was a well known hipster at the time. (He still acts like one today)

dtm42 wrote:
If the show doesn't deserve an F but is still terrible, then couldn't it have gotten a D instead? A C- is a passing grade after all.

SantaBla wrote:
Tomino is only good when he's writing non-Gundam works (Xabungle, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3)

Don't forget to mention Garzey's Wing. Oh, wait . . .

Still more entertaining than 3/4 of UC.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I can't really give credence to a critic who's reviewed anime for so long, but is also so ignorant of Japan's societal history and how it affected their media.

Yes, Japan (as well as most of the world) had a clear male chauvinistic bent to writing characters and their relationships. Yes, in this day and age and in a current production, having that as believable characterization would be ludicrous and even downright offensive.

But Mazinger wasn't made for an audience in 2014, and I think the Carl forgot that. It was made for Japanese children in the early 1970s. The values that were thought to be correct were what was informing and were passed on to that audience. Besides, getting offended about it now isn't going to make Mazinger go away. It's been to printed film and pressed to DVD. It exists, it is out there to find, and no amount of moral outrage will change that, or the chow's values.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's no denying Mazinger Z's importance, but it's no surprise that it hasn't aged well. I'll still buy though, if only to support Discotek. I owe it to them for licensing Shin Mazinger.

Those wanting to watch a traditional Super Robot show done well should give GaoGaiGar a try.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
No hate from me. I'm curious myself as to why we going there. I always got a kick out the series, but I've never experienced watching the old series from the beginning. I found it to be the most hilarious thing back in the 80's when I saw it aired in Chicago under the name 'Tranzor-Z'. Then when I met a few old club guys who grew up on such shows like Green Hornet and Lone Ranger I had the chance to see some of other works by Go Nagai. But that was a time of the campy traditionalism. But hey it's not like girls didn't have their shows. It is a piece of robot history. As for GGG, it still follows much of the same formulas the only difference Guy didn't argue with his girlfriend. If it wasn't for these crazy old shows we wouldn't even have what we have now. Tezuka, Yokohama, Go Nagai, Tomino, Anno all the way to Yonetani to Tigger. Hell, let's toss in Clamp too. Everyone contributed to today's robot history.

Now I wonder how Shogeki-Hen stacks up to the old series.
JonLa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It is possible to both recognise the cheap trashiness of something (and its sexism) and yet still love it for the reasons outlined at the end of the review.

Particularly liked this line " a total lack of art slowly yielding to stylistic invention and elaboration" which perfectly encapsulates the way I felt when first watching Gatchaman (which I love) from beginning to end. Some of the later episodes are pure limited-animation perfection (there's one in a church IIRC); some of the earlier ones are cheap Godzilla knock-offs.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Keep it civil, guys and gals. Personal attacks and racial slurs absolutely will not be tolerated. A few posts have already been deleted or had content removed because of this.

SantaBla, you are pushing your luck. Consider this a warning. And Surrender Artist, I don't know what you were thinking or drinking or smoking, but you were totally out of line.

Concerning the review: While I do agree that the context of the time in which the show was made should be considered, I absolutely think it's fair and proper to review a show in the context of the time in which it's being viewed. Many titles gain or lose relevance over time, and many require qualitative reevaluations as technical capabilities, storytelling trends, and/or constructions advance. Sounds like this one, despite its historical importance, just doesn't hold up well to the passage of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
If you do get a chance to see and hear Ichirou Mizuki live, do so, he still sounds good today (saw him sing Mazinger-Z at Animelo Summer Live 2011 and in an Anison Big 3 concert with Mitsuko Horie and Hironobu Kageyama in early 2012), and he is a passionate supporter of music of anime.

If you can read Japanese or can cope with a google translation, the article at: http://anime.excite.co.jp/report/rid_E1403166629128/pid_1.html is worth a read.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get the vibe that Mazinkaiser SKL was sexist. The main two characters were kind of jerks, and on occasion to that female assistant of theirs, but it wasn't really a gender thing it seemed. Plus the female fighter was pretty independent, strong-willed and didn't harbor any twisted or contrived romantic feelings towards the 2 male protags, and then the nation of female seers were kicking some serious ass by themselves and didn't seem to be falling into anyone's laps, nor were they overtly belittled let alone molested in any way it seems. Everyone just kind of did their own thing in SKL. On the contrary, the vanilla Mazinkaiser OVA I found quite dull and the only thing elevating it from by the numbers mediocrity was the nostalgic camp and retro style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
christrife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I started reading this review in order to remember good memories of me being a little guy, enjoying the action, explotions and awesomeness of an early Mecha series. Instead i ended up reading a review which appears to be written by a complaining non-anime fan girlfriend whining about the obvious faults of this work who obviously at the time it was made, it didn't matter since the story and characters were amazing

To watch this series you must be aware of the resources they have back in 1970's and the sexist standards in which the world was being through.

I hope people nowadays can enjoy early anime works with a different insight.
In the last years, Anime has advanced in themes, genre and technology of course, being made almost entirely with computer so the directors can express through their jobs amazing worlds, stories and being faithful to the original author.

Back in 1970's that didn't happen and they had too little budget to animate each episode, by traditional animation and lots of stress.

Still they pulled out an amazing series, with amazing music and passed to the next generations the inspiration to make awesome works.

So watch Mazinger Z with happiness, understand and enjoy every episode Wink
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Concerning the review: While I do agree that the context of the time in which the show was made should be considered, I absolutely think it's fair and proper to review a show in the context of the time in which it's being viewed. Many titles gain or lose relevance over time, and many require qualitative reevaluations as technical capabilities, storytelling trends, and/or constructions advance. Sounds like this one, despite its historical importance, just doesn't hold up well to the passage of time.

Ah if only we could study the history of anime/anime series on books (that would save fandom a lot of grief if/when trying to learn about old animes). Unfortunately very few books are dedicated to studying the history of anime so we are "forced" to watch instead. Putting the show into historical context is important if you're studying it. On the other hand if you're watching it today expecting to enjoy it as any other piece of entertainment then context is completely irrelevant. It either stands on its own or it doesn't. And in my opinion Mazinger Z mostly doesn't except for some few notable episodes.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Many titles gain or lose relevance over time, and many require qualitative reevaluations as technical capabilities, storytelling trends, and/or constructions advance. Sounds like this one, despite its historical importance, just doesn't hold up well to the passage of time.

Purely opinionated of course.

Spanish TV hasn't had enough of it.

Cobertura nacional Argentina
LS 82 TV Canal 7 2005
LS 83 TV Canal 9 1981 - 1986
Cobertura nacional Chile
Más Canal 22 (retransmisión) (TVO) 2005 - 2006
Chilevisión (retransmisión) 1997 - 1998
UCV Televisión (retransmisión) 1982 - 1985
Canal 13 1979 - 1981
Cobertura nacional Ecuador
Gama TV 1985
Canal 4 del Ecuador 1988
TC Televisión 2009
Canal Uno 2012
Cobertura nacional España
TVE 197850
Tele5 199351
Cobertura nacional México1
Televisa, Canal 5 1986
Televisión Azteca 1994
Televisión Azteca 1997
Cadena Tres 2012
Cobertura nacional otros países
Cadena 1 (Colombia) 198229
CCT (Costa Rica) 198052
TCS (El Salvador) 1981
Pantel (Perú) 1980
WAPA-TV (Puerto Rico) 197853
Venevisión (Venezuela) 1980

It's like USA and Voltron. The difference though was that the shows Voltron adapted from (Go Lion and Dairugger) were irrelevant in the land of the rising sun while Mazinger was a huge hit. But it doesn't matter, because Voltron is culturally engrained in freedom land.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11