• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sengoku Basara: Judge End (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Sengoku Basara: Judge End (TV)

Genres: action, historical,
Themes: martial arts, samurai, superpowers

Plot Summary: Based on CAPCOM's 2010 game Sengoku Basara 3 (Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes), Sengoku Basara: Judge End will depict the epic Battle of Sekigahara. (MAL)
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
It's been awhile since I've seen Sengoku. And I guess so far, it didn't waste much time with the action.

spoiler[Double punch into the face Surprised]

Overall, I'm not expecting much out of this but the bits of action were nice. The girl was pretty badass so far though and we get a lot of action with returning characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote

It was nice to see the characters again.
Did some reminiscing of the first Sengoku Basara.
The art was nice, as expected ^^
Yukimura & Takeda were up to their old tricks.
Action filled all the way!
Didn't expect anything less.
Great first episode.
I just came to reminisce and am the glad the quality is as high as ever.
Skipping this one. Enjoy!
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Before I crush this third series I have to list the positives:
1) great character design, true art of imagination;
2) several likeable (besides visuals) characters;
3) epic music score;
4) epic storytelling;
5) great visuals overall.

But the big-scale story of this instalment, unlike previous ones, is fake.

spoiler[In the very beginning the yellow guy was shown duelling with his boss in honest manner, not putting a knife in his back or poisoning or anything. But later the angry white hair guy presents the case as if the yellow guy has done something wrong (mean, foul, dastard) and hence he opposes him. Not convincing at all.]

Also, authors should have chosen other voice actor for the white hair guy as timbre of his voice does not fit to screaming mode.

I liked the voiced of yellow and young red guys.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
On the risk of feeding your pathetic trolling spree:

1) The big-scale story (the battle of Sekigahara) is not only not fake, but one of the most important battles in Japanese history. The series even split the sides with (relative) historical accuracy (the Date and Maeda with Tokugawa and the Sanada with Ishida)
2) Mitsunari most likely didn't know and wouldn't have cared whether Ieyasu beat Hideyoshi in a fair fight or not. Mitsunari is fiercely loyal to Hideyoshi, and he considers Ieyasu's change of allegiance as a betrayal to their once common cause. It's not far-fetched at all.
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
I can't even begin to imagine the riots that would have occurred if they'd replaced Mitsunari's voice. Seki nailed this series with his performance.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree on that. Seki has an amazing curriculum, but this has got to be one of his most memorable roles. The high-pitch he gives Mitsunari isn't only quite unique, but he's also nailed the character's inner turmoil to a tee. Second only to Kazuya Nakai's Engrish in my favorite voices for the series (discounting Romi Park's Uesugi because he had like four seconds of screen this season)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia

For now pathetic troll is you, because you claim that I called historic origins of this series fake, but I never did.

White guy's speeches would have to be written much clearer if the idea was like what you describe. He would have to admit that yellow guy has held honourable and dignified battle with that big guy, and pursue fights with the yellow guy without always yelling all that nonsense about how yellow guy is bad in things which were absolutely good.

Authors were sloppy at that with the attempt to cheaply pump up and dramatize the story, and this has taken away from the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1