• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanayamata (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Few things are manlier than a spoiler[guy who feels no shame in dressing up as a pink rabbit].

Want to lay odds about he and Sally becoming an item?

I'd lay odds that they're going to have some odd lays.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh someone give Yaya a hug. I wonder why spoiler[her band didn't qualify though. That brief performance from Hana's group was pretty catchy. If they do this right, they are going to get a huge audience. And at this rate, I think Yaya is going to join the club more than 'just by name']
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty amazing that Naru managed to average above 80.

I think it is a bit rough to expect a foreign student to score as high as everyone else in classic Japanese and how well they write kanji characters. I looked at it and it is indeed like "witchcraft" if you aren't born to it. Regardless, it is a bit moving how much passion Hana actually ended up putting into it.

It was a good move to play Sally as a mostly-straight character. After that last episode I thought she would be one of those clown characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Sally is 24 years old, that is pretty young right? Maybe an odd realisation as I am turning 24 in about a month. Either way I do like her character, the duality of her personality and it being more visible is good. and the dance part was rather cool, got a bit emotional.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Pretty clever episode. The balance between the spoiler[emotional and amusing parts worked quite well in the end. I welcome Yuya's official entrance as part of the club with open arms. The scene on the roof (before the BAKA yelling part) was pretty funny as well (:]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
All that wailing gave me a headache. One of my least favorite modes of anime.

So Bro was willing to pay for Sally's e-mail address? Well, then.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Have to admit, I spoiler[cried a little bit there, all the friendship and worries about losing it] touched my manly heart.

Also spoiler[animal ears and tail] were awesome, that includes Sally spoiler[getting really into it and using it to charm the president.] Also Hana's spoiler[moves intendant when she gets excited].
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
I don't like the whole shouting side of anime drama, and this was no exception, but hopefully it's out of the way (at least for a while).

Thought that Tami being left out of a lot of the drama in this episode was quite interesting.

Wondering when student council president will come on board. We're more than halfway through the series and she's barely appeared and hardly interacted with everyone.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode was interesting. It had a different balance that went from the spoiler[comedic first half with the girls getting ready for their performance to some actual problems especially with Naru.]

My guess is that maybe spoiler[Machi might play some sort of role to help her. Considering she isn't a member of the club yet and stayed during their performance, I think she might do more than standing there and watch all this unfolding. With that cliffhanger though, I am pretty excited to see what's to come next time.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Sari (Sally) is all over the map isn't she? Sometimes she acts like a real mentor and sometimes like a greasy anchor to the bottom of the sea.

How those girls made it to the stage I'll never know.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I was particularly amused by the "spoiler[[hypermelodramatic] childhood trauma] ruins a very promising episode". I really like this show, but I really wish Naru's melodrama could be pushed to the back now that we were finally spoiler[going to see the girls dancing (although it was mostly still frames...]. At least we now have the gateway for spoiler[Machi joining the team], but I honestly could've done without Naru's traumas.

Whenspoiler[ Hana and Naru started to stumble I thought it would be okay, especially because Naru seemed to catch the tempo again, and it of course doesn't seem unlikely that they would lose their footing here and there, given how their choreography was put together with such short notice, but the flashes to the day when she traumatically dropped the pompons and cried on the ground foreverandever...] I just rolled my eyes at that.

Also, was I the only one that hated the electro-pop arrangement for their dance music? It sounded like some old Mario Bros. soundtrack or something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Hmm, they made a comment on spoiler[Hana having a red face], I was thinking that it was foreshadowing that spoiler[Hana was kind of sick (had a fever) and was pushing herself too hard]. I was not to surprised that spoiler[Hana then kind of messed up during the performance], but it was spoiler[Naru that seemed to go along with her and was not able to recover]. Probably the source of spoiler[Naru's low self esteem].

And suddenly sister drama.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
but I honestly could've done without Naru's traumas.

I was also going to point out that I could have done without the LAST MINUTE CRISIS BEFORE THE PERFORMANCE trope which afflicts too many stories of this type. If they have Naru's problems and everyone's stage fright to cope with do we really need that as well?

Although .. it did provide a way to get the SBP on to the scene.
Quote:
Also, was I the only one that hated the electro-pop arrangement for their dance music? It sounded like some old Mario Bros. soundtrack or something.

I thought it was intended to sound noticeably amateurish, which I think you will agree that it did. As with the dancing, it would make sense to leave room for improvement. So let's see if it does.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Character building is great in this show. I love how they are able to focus even spoiler[Sally sensei into the story especially in regards with her sister, Machi.] It felt somewhat fast though but I think it got the point across.

I'm glad they kinda worked out their differences too. Next week, I'm spoiler[guessing Machi might join the club with a lot of convincing? That would be cool to see.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm glad they kinda worked out their differences too. Next week, I'm spoiler[guessing Machi might join the club with a lot of convincing? That would be cool to see.]

Next week looks like a hot springs episode. Would a bit of fan service be too much to ask for? It's like these girls have, you know, too much dignity or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4