• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I may be being a bit dense here, or maybe I didn't hear it right, but what was going on with the question about a "usb thumper" Free! thing? (the thing that Justin was wondering whether it existed and someone in the audience confirmed it did) I'm not quite sure what that means.
insert name here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what people are talking about with Ping Pong's pacing. I thought the whole thing was exhilarating. Granted, I wasn't familiar with the source material and I didn't know there was a movie. Perhaps if I knew the story in advance it might have seemed slower. Still, if anyone thinks this is slow, I'd hate to see how they'd fare watching something by Yasujiro Ozu or Andrei Tarkovsky.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
This sounded like it was a really fun panel. I had a good laugh when Zac gave away that Asuna figure in the cage to someone who loved Sword Art Online.

I had no idea that Justin was that heavily involved in authoring. Now I'm really curious to hear that talked about more in-depth in the next ANNCast.

While I was listening to the podcast, I thought up some questions I'd have liked to ask if I had been there. Who knows if any of them will get answered, but I figure it doesn't hurt to put them out there:

1) What anime (can be more than one) that's out of print/hard to find would you love to see get re-released (not remade) and made available again?

2) You were talking about live-action anime adaptations. Have you seen the live-action movie of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad? If so, what did you think of it? Also, Monster is supposedly getting an HBO adaptation written by Guillermo Del Toro. If it does well, do you have any hopes for what comes from that success? (I know, that last question's pretty loaded.)

I had read on Hope's Twitter feed last week that she'd try to record her panel about internet reviewing, which I was excited about as I really enjoy reading/watching her reviews. Assuming that worked out, any idea when or where it'll be available to see?

I haven't listened to many ANNCasts (yet), but every one I have heard has been really enjoyable and often enlightening. Thanks so much for the great work!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I may be being a bit dense here, or maybe I didn't hear it right, but what was going on with the question about a "usb thumper" Free! thing? (the thing that Justin was wondering whether it existed and someone in the audience confirmed it did) I'm not quite sure what that means.

I assumed it was something like the Rez Trance Vibrator, a video game peripheral which wasn't necessarily supposed to be a sex toy but, c'mon…
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
I strongly disagree with your opinions on Ping Pong.Speaking as a big Yuasa fan I found it to be visually poor , but the characterization is what brought me back to the show.The entire anime is one big character study , with the attempt to crystallize and expand the themes of manga and movie.It is Yuasa's most accessible work so I am not surprised that you didn't like Kaiba.
I also disagree about pacing , in fact I fount it to be a bit hectic and chaotic at the beginning.The story was flipping through events and places without any order , until later it calmed down a bit.But even those calm parts had a lot of things going on , since Yuasa decided to put a lot of anime only material , like he did in Mind Game.The character arcs are all very thematically important and they intervene, thus the writing felt very tight.
I didn't get a lot out of that Ping Pong movie.I never cared about characters as much as I cared about them in anime, nor did I find anything interesting about them and the matches weren't anywhere near as thrilling as they were in anime.I even thought it was technically lacking , a poor attempt to capture manga's insane panels.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
As far as the amount of Yaoi/BLish Anime coming out this summer I won't be watching any of it as it's just not something I like despite trying to understand the appeal it is nice to see an under served demographic get something for them I can only hope this doesn’t devolve into some sort of nasty tribalism. Although I do 100% support the drinking of tears of people complaining about Free.

As far as things that are out in the summer I don't hate myself enough to sit through another iteration of SAO, also I didn’t have that big a problem with the transformation sequence in Sailor Moon Crystal.

Than again I can't really be objective as I'm happy to see it out at last, and I didn’t know there existed a “slave cage Asuna” figurine now I do I wish I didn’t but I do oh well there's “moe, moe, mermaid” Rei so yeah it's a thing I guess.

Sad to hear the Watamote dub wasn’t good but when you have a performance in the sub that was that good, it's kind of hard to top it, I guess some series are just better subbed than dubbed. I'd like to read a review by Hope of Gatchaman Crowds as that was a really fun series that didn’t find much of an audience but was enjoyable to watch.

As for re-watching stuff I almost never re-watch stuff now mostly because the vast majority of stuff I do watch is good for one viewing and that's it, although I did re-watch D-Frag! A while back and that was just as funny the second time around as the first or I can re-watch the Madoka T.V. Series and always gain something enjoyable out of it.
Beized

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Zac wrote:

Explanation: that was a joke. Thanks for listening.

Figured as much, but I still was hoping I might have caught you in a moment of the otaku rage you had been criticizing moments earlier. I should have known better. Also, it seemed like you were running out of cheap whimsical anime DVDs to give out, and had trouble finding them to begin with. If you plan on going again, you could always hit up the dollar blind box bargain at rightstuf.

Are you boldly saying that you hoped your previous comment would serve to catch him in a "Gotcha!" moment? The audacity of calmly stating that you immediately greet the first hint of possibly hypocrisy as an opportunity to trap someone, instead of considering the context and intent of a statement, or asking for clarification, is astounding.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Galap wrote:

I assumed it was something like the Rez Trance Vibrator, a video game peripheral which wasn't necessarily supposed to be a sex toy but, c'mon…

Figured it might have been something like that. What does that have to do with Free though? Does it like have the characters' faces on it?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
insert name here wrote:
I don't know what people are talking about with Ping Pong's pacing. I thought the whole thing was exhilarating. Granted, I wasn't familiar with the source material and I didn't know there was a movie. Perhaps if I knew the story in advance it might have seemed slower. Still, if anyone thinks this is slow, I'd hate to see how they'd fare watching something by Yasujiro Ozu or Andrei Tarkovsky.

Yeah, same here. I thought the pacing was excellent and found myself thoroughly engaged at every moment. The slower parts were the scenes that involved a 70 year old ping-pong coach, so I thought that was fitting. I guess if you compare it to those crazy awesome opening sequences I could see how you could call it slow. Man, I think I'll go re-watch it now!
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Galap wrote:

Figured it might have been something like that. What does that have to do with Free though? Does it like have the characters' faces on it?

Ok, if your seriously asking this you're either not of legal age to be discussing stuff like that or you don't realize that females and males aren't really that different when it comes to stuff like this Embarassed . Plus it's Free - the fan base for that show isn't just female (really, just take a good look at what is going on in the S1 ED in the background on the dance floor - that still makes me laugh when I see it Laughing )
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:

Are you boldly saying that you hoped your previous comment would serve to catch him in a "Gotcha!" moment? The audacity of calmly stating that you immediately greet the first hint of possibly hypocrisy as an opportunity to trap someone, instead of considering the context and intent of a statement, or asking for clarification, is astounding.

I was just joking around when I said that. I originally was just asking for clarification (since the joke flew right over my head). I wasn't trying to catch him in a "gotcha" moment*. I've always enjoyed listening to Zac and Justin on the podcasts. I wasn't trying to be an ass. Well, maybe a smart ass. I guess that is just part of the problem with typing on the internet, its easy to misread the intentions behind posts Confused

*though I think it would have been pretty funny if I really had caught him off guard. But again, didn't mean anything from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beized

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Beized wrote:

I was just joking around when I said that. I originally was just asking for clarification (since the joke flew right over my head). I wasn't trying to catch him in a "gotcha" moment*. I've always enjoyed listening to Zac and Justin on the podcasts. I wasn't trying to be an ass. Well, maybe a smart ass. I guess that is just part of the problem with typing on the internet, its easy to misread the intentions behind posts Confused

*though I think it would have been pretty funny if I really had caught him off guard. But again, didn't mean anything from it.

I see. Well, don't mind me, I'm just some jerk. And yes, typing jokes is hard.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

Ok, if your seriously asking this you're either not of legal age to be discussing stuff like that or you don't realize that females and males aren't really that different when it comes to stuff like this Embarassed . Plus it's Free - the fan base for that show isn't just female (really, just take a good look at what is going on in the S1 ED in the background on the dance floor - that still makes me laugh when I see it Laughing )

I'm of age, and completely aware of the fact that female and male sexuality is essentially the same with stuff like this, I just don't get exactly what this thing is, because, well people tend to be a little embarrased to talk about stuff like that in detail, and I'm not really familiar with anime-themed sex toys. I'm just missing something here, and probably will kick myself for not getting it, that's all.

Last edited by Galap on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Really wish I could have been there. Sad Although, if it really is getting to be Comic Con crowded, I might not be coming as much as I used to.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know what Zac was talking about with the whole walking through people's photo thing till I went to AX this year. It was so hard to not walk into somebody's pictures that I was at some points trying to like crawl past people posing and stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3