• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Stage!! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
@Gina

I definitely know what you mean, and I think the anime did something great in having Ryouma spoiler[actually stopping before doing anything] (IIRC, in the manga spoiler[he went quite a bit further before stopping], which made me really uncomfortable). To me the scene didn't seem like Ryouma was falling back to spoiler[molesting Izumi], I think he originally intended to sspoiler[care him off a little to make him get a grip on reality and realize he couldn't just run away from his home forever. He did lose control when Izumi gave up and offered himself, but he reigned himself back before doing anything undoable] (although I do wish he'd been more "shit, I screwed up again" and less "shit, that was a once in a lifetime chance").

I reckon my standards for BL are very low because the pool is so generally poor, but I think the authors have seriously tried to revert the usual archetypes and the bad stuff Ryouma pulls becomes easier to forgive because he's generally such an adorable guy

Jacquipuff wrote:
Yeah, I think this instance of their weird censorship might have been even more distracting to me than the first.

Yeah, the censorship they're using is really killing it for me, tbh. Just the other day my sister marathoned Tokyo Ghoul and she was complaining that the censorship there is so weird and annoying and that she wished it was more like in LS and I was like "are you fricking kidding me?". I'd honestly rather have them draw random streaks of light over Izumi's dick (that doesn't even show up in any scene, so why are they censoring it, and in such a ridiculous way, I don't get it at all!).

Ehem. Basically the censorship is the only fault I see in the adaptation. Like, if they ever make any Back Stage OVA* (specifically thinking the one with the apron scenario) I'm gonna cry tears of blood if they pull that level of crappy censorship

*Not that I'm holding my breath on that matter... sigh...
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yeah, the censorship they're using is really killing it for me, tbh. Just the other day my sister marathoned Tokyo Ghoul and she was complaining that the censorship there is so weird and annoying and that she wished it was more like in LS and I was like "are you fricking kidding me?".

Really? While I was writing my previous post, I was actually thinking of Tokyo Ghoul as an example of a show where the censorship doesn't bother me. Like, whenever they censor a scene, I just think "oh, they censored that" in the back of my mind, and then ignore it for the rest of the scene. But with Love Stage, the censorship basically becomes the scene.

Although imagining Tokyo Ghoul with the sparkly, pastel-colored censorship of Love Stage is rather funny. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
^Totally agree, the censorship in TG doesn't really bother me, and I'm not particularly inclined to watch people's guts in great detail, so I actually prefer that it's censored
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Izumi makes a debut.
Looks like he has feelings for Ryouma..
It was fun watching him freak over over his feelings.
Short summary of his life so far was nice.
Shougo & Sagara totally spoiled Izumi ^^
This part totally felt like some kind of documentary about Izumi's life.
Part about Sagara's past was interesting info.
The cat is out of the bag & there is no choice but to go public.
Ryouma's calming technique for Izumi was a good one ^^
That debut was a smart one.
Things should calm down a bit for Ryouma after that.
Doubt Izumi will have any free time after his debut though..]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I was worried that this was going to be a recap episode as it had certain aspects of one. But thankfully that was not entirely true as certain parts were mostly just from the style of the episode being like an entertainment story/documentary piece. I have seen that fail before, but here it kind of worked, largely from me liking it being made from footage of the past or what we had not seen. Highlights on Rei, him spoiler[spoiling Izumi and Izumi seeing him like a strict mother]. Izumi has a bad memory of Rei from him spoiler[beating up a stranger who promised Izumi candy when he was 9]. Laughing

Really happy that they decided to reveal spoiler[Izumi's gender to the press], it was a great part and I think it is an improvement that they did not go a different route.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though the execution was a little bit awkward I liked how they managed to make this a filler episode without it feeling that much like one. Especially happy with how they incorporated spoiler[the bits from the omakes, and even a little bit of the Back Stage novels], I've always thought spoiler[Rei looked incredibly hot when he was young and rebellious]

BTW, there's something that's always bothered me about this part. So spoiler[a paparazzi catches a picture of Ryoma and an androginous-at-best person standing half a meter from each other] >> spoiler[OMG HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED AND SHE'S PROBABLY PREGNANT SUPER PASSIONATE LOVE AFFAIR SCOOP NOW]. Is showbiz mass media remotely like this or is our suspension of disbelief expected to go that far?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about Japan, but from the little bit I've seen of the Daily Mail, I'd say yes, they're awful. Also see: Princess Diana.

Since the advent of the internet, even reputable news outlets go with the speculation before the facts, making it as shocking and/or fear-mongering as possible until they know something (and even after they know something). Also see: any weather story more severe than a gentle rain- or snowfall.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Izumi got popular fast!
The story about him was all over the media all the time.
Rei sure was full of himself now that his plan succeeded.
Suddenly Izumi is obsessing over Ryouma.
Rei giving his blessing to Izumi-Ryouma relationship was a shocker!
Ryouma was dealing with the misfortune of everyone liking Izumi.
His cuteness was out in the world & there was no privacy anymore.
Ryouma can't have him all to himself anymore.
All the worrying got him to a hospital 'cause of exhaustion.
Izumi was turining into a shoppingholic..
Rei sure was open minded about Izumi swimming in BL waters.
Things sure are going in an interesting direction.
Being famous just backfired on him..]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I can't believe Rei spoiler[seriously answered him, he was really doing research by reading BL manga]. Figures, Izumi now can't spoiler[go out by himself without people trying to rape him ].
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
That's because Rei has, uhum spoiler[experience] Wink
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Apparently ANN episode reviews are a regular thing now, so here's the link to the Love Stage reviews page.

And this one is for episode 9 only.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
#10 Final

spoiler[Izumi got himself into serious trouble.
Guess he's irresistible even to guys..
Was a nice surprise that he could put up a fight.
Ryouma gave him the strength to break free.
Izumi finally found out how Ryouma got his manuscript autographed.
It sure was a really sweet and selfless thing to do.
Kuroi was nice enough to share all those details.
This episode had quite a few flashbacks.
Lala-Lulu part where she gave her approval of Izumui-Ryouma relationship was really nice.
Such a spicy, fan service, very yaoi ending ~kyaa
The real confessions after that were so so sweet ^^]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Pretty solid ending.
Because of some spoiler[uncomfortable molesting scenes from Ryouma], I just cannot rate this anything higher than Decent. And thespoiler[ sex] scene in the final episode was laughable. From what I've heard, it spoiler[doesn't have to hurt if you go in slow steps instead of going all out at once. So why is the main character so in pain he can barely move? There are plenty of other things you could do the first time you get intimate with someone.] This only gives a warped view on reality.

So yeah, I loved the humor and characters in general and a good Yaoi/Shounen-ai is hard to find - but that doesn't make me rate this show higher than this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
This only gives a warped view on reality.

Well, the series already made its meta-comment that manga and anime isn't a realistic guide. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
From what I've heard, it spoiler[doesn't have to hurt if you go in slow steps instead of going all out at once. So why is the main character so in pain he can barely move? There are plenty of other things you could do the first time you get intimate with someone.] This only gives a warped view on reality.

The actual scene was cut out for the anime, but in the manga it is made pretty clear that Ryouma spoiler[didn't go in slow steps at all, like Rei predicted]. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5