• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Frozen's 'Let it Go' Ranks in Top Karaoke AniSongs for 1st Half of 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
Whoah, didn't expect Let it go to make it that high, I believe that's the only non-anime song that's on that list. Anyway, congrats to Frozen.

Also, very surprised NGE's Cruel Angel Thesis still at the top. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Wooooow. I liked this song when it came out, but one million listens later, it's like the song that refuses to die.
komarEX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
As far as I know "Let it go" have been sung by May J.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Whoah, didn't expect Let it go to make it that high, I believe that's the only non-anime song that's on that list. Anyway, congrats to Frozen.

It's not that unexpected, Frozen is already the second highest grossing movie of all time at the Japanese box office, and it has Spirited Away in its sights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
komarEX wrote:

There's two versions: from the movie itself (by Takako Matsu) and credits version (May J). Just like in the English version.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
komarEX wrote:

There's two versions: from the movie itself (by Takako Matsu) and credits version (May J). Just like in the English version.

Yep
Takako Matsu = Idina Menzel version
May J. = Demi Lovato version

Quote:

1 WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER TAYLOR SWIFT
2 What Makes You Beautiful ONE DIRECTION
3 Call Me Maybe Carly Rae Jepsen
4 Live While We're Young ONE DIRECTION
5 STORY OF MY LIFE ONE DIRECTION
6 Let It Go Idina Menzel
7 MY HEART WILL GO ON [LOVE THEME FROM`TITANIC'] CELINE DION
8 I DON'T WANT TO MISS A THING AEROSMITH
9 We Are The World USA for AFRICA
10 TOP OF THE WORLD CARPENTERS
11 I Want It That Way backstreet boys
12 One Thing ONE DIRECTION
13 LET IT BE THE BEATLES
14 GOOD TIME (with Carly Rae Jepsen) OWL CITY
15 Best Song Ever ONE DIRECTION
16 Kiss You ONE DIRECTION
17 BABY feat.Ludacris JUSTIN BIEBER
18 I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU WHITNEY HOUSTON
19 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE CARPENTERS
20 Party Rock Anthem featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock LMFAO

Surprised Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” song isn't in there - it's been on the Japan Billboard Top 20 for awhile, and it's easy to sing and make fan-made music videos for.

(We Are The World?)
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

It's not that unexpected, Frozen is already the second highest grossing movie of all time at the Japanese box office, and it has Spirited Away in its sights.

Yeah I know Frozen is the second highest grossing movie at the Japanese box office, but what's unexpected was that let it go would be on the top karaoke song for the 1st half of 2014. Let it go is the only non-anime song that is on the list which is what really surprise me the most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

18 I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU WHITNEY HOUSTON

One should not subject one's friends to a karaoke rendition of I Will Always Love You unless one can sing as high and as well as Ms. Houston. If one does attempt this feat anyway, expect one's friends to be friends no longer...just a friendly piece of advice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I just love that the Demi Lavato version isn't even known or cared about, since the "star credit" versions are always the ones they pushed. Glad the actual in-film one is the only one people care about.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just love that the Demi Lavato version isn't even known or cared about, since the "star credit" versions are always the ones they pushed. Glad the actual in-film one is the only one people care about.
While the Demi Lovato version of it wasn't bad, it didn't have the same charm and enjoyment that the Idina Menzel version had. I think they tried too hard to make it an everyday pop-star song instead of the inspirational and sweet song that it stood for in the movie.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad that neither version has any play on American radio, unlike Happy. Wonder if it's on the radio in Japan or any other country.

Also, Hyorin's Korean pop version of Let it Go is the best pop version of all the ones I've heard.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Let it Go will be the perfect theme song for this poor bastard. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It's too bad that neither version has any play on American radio, unlike Happy. Wonder if it's on the radio in Japan or any other country.

Also, Hyorin's Korean pop version of Let it Go is the best pop version of all the ones I've heard.

Is the Japanese version avaliable on Youtube, because I know DisneymusicVEVO's YT page has Hyorin's K-pop version of let it go on there. I also like this version from Hye Na Park. I like the one from Ailee. I'll agreed with you the Korean version is impressive!!!

EDIT: I want to add that the best Korean version of Let it go is the duet between Ailee and Hyorin. This video has 3+ million views as of now. IMO, it deserve more views because Hyorin and Ailee really blew me away with that singing duet.

I listen to the Japanese version of it on NHK World radio Japan, just scroll down and click on Japan Hit Tunes and at around 15:16, the Japanese version is played on there. The program is no longer on there.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Might just be your area in the US, my local radio stations play Let It Go fairly often, I'll usually catch it once or twice a week.
The Mask

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
Wow. After all these years, Kokoro e is still a popular karaoke song in Japan. I guess it couldn't be helped; that song is so good, even I tend to sing it regularly (minus the karaoke equipment).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2