• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Readers Rank the Best Anime Series To Watch On Your Day Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Looking at the full lists, there are a lot on there I wouldn't say are relaxing. Kill La Kill is anything but, IMO. Too hyper and bouncy.

KLK is one of those shows where the viewer can easily turn off their brain for a few hours, and just enjoy the spectacle.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
o-O Ebichu. No, Laughing I kid.

To relax: Freakin Anpanman, dude.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, as far as I can tell the survey wasn't necessarily asking for "relaxing" series-- that's something we've been reading into the question. It's just what participants would watch on their day off. So it could easily be something fun or exciting, and/or a title they'd enjoy marathoning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
To be fair, as far as I can tell the survey wasn't necessarily asking for "relaxing" series-- that's something we've been reading into the question. It's just what participants would watch on their day off. So it could easily be something fun or exciting, and/or a title they'd enjoy marathoning.

Even so, AoT isn't exactly for binge-watching either--
The only times I can ever recall bingeing a series, period, was the days the new Viz Ranma 1/2 or AnimEigo UY came out.
Comedies tend be more disposable, and consumable in mass quantities.

(Even today, I have to ration myself on the short Miss Monochrome and Tonari no Seiki-Kun episodes on CR, to avoid burning through the series too quickly.)
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
because Attack on Titan and Madoka Magica are really good thingd to relax to right? xD
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad to see Space Brothers there on both lists Smile
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Really not getting the Attacks on Titans and Ghosts in the Shells, but Space Brothers is a great number 1 pick. Like several other posters, I'd suggest Mushishi, and I'd also go with Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, Non Non Biyori and Kamichu!.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Fafner made the list. hats awesome. I'd watch that if I want to cry.
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
The full men's list, with scores expressed, I'm assuming, as a percentage of what the top response was

# 27 GUNSLINGER GIRL 9.9

That's pretty interesting. I don't really think of that show as "easy watching on day off" fodder, but hey, someone's still watching it!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Some of these series seem awfully heavy to relax to. As for me, an episode of K-On!, Strike Witches, or Girls und Panzer is what I watch to relax.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
in my experience POLAR BEAR CAFE is the best show, anime or otherwise, for hungover mornings.

Definitely agree with this.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I had to look up what Toshokan Sensō was. I was more familiar with the English title: Library War.

Me too. A show I plan on checking out, and maybe look at the manga if I enjoy the show enough.

Happy to see Silver Spoon in there.

Personally, wouldn't have AnoHana there myself. Yes, a SoL series...but that is the one anime I've watch that almost had me cry a manly tear. Laughing

Non Non Biyori, for me, is a show that I'd say is almost perfect to binge on a day off. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2nd season.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
jtron wrote:
in my experience POLAR BEAR CAFE is the best show, anime or otherwise, for hungover mornings.

Definitely agree with this.

Same here, along with Natsume, Non non Biyori, Free!, and assorted Ghibli films. I also like to track down old classic anime from the 70s-90s and watch a whole series, or as much as I can in a day off (currently looking for Heroic Legend of Arslan...).
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
AOT and Madoka are relaxing? Might as well put Elfen Lied and Evangelion on the list too!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
If I had a vote it would have been for Kimi To Boku (You and Me) I think it is the most relaxing series I have ever watch; a simple slice of life. Very little drama but still incredibly enjoyable. My second vote would have gone to Senyuu because it constantly had me laughing out load and each episode is split into 3 of the most enjoyable minutes you could wish for Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2