• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
5pb./Nitroplus detestable lead on purpose?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Why do 5pb./Nitroplus create such detestable lead characters?

Before watching Chaos;HEAd, I cannot remember an anime during which I loathed the lead character enough to want him dead. (Maybe Naruto, but I stopped watching that show years ago.) During the scene in which Takumi faces the villain for the first time, I found myself wishing the villain would go ahead and kill the little worm. Seriously, I hated Takumi during the entire show; vile, spineless, whining, paranoid schizophrenic cowardly little no good piece of contemptible slime that he is.

Now, I am watching Steins;Gate and I have not gone through a single episode so far during which I have not wanted to punch Rintaro hard for being such an insufferable creep. I mean, literally, if I knew a guy like that in real life I would have seriously hurt him a long time ago. I might hesitate to watch Robotics;Notes for fear of coming to hate the lead character in that. Do Nitroplus do this on purpose? I'm sitting with this greasy spiky ball of loathing roiling in my gut whenever I have to listen to that Rintaro go on and on in that rage-inducing trite self-absorbed derisive manner. I wish he would just stick his own head in that microwave and let a more interesting character take over the show.

Is it just me? Or are there others who plain can't stand these guys?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, I haven't seen any of the "semicolon" adaptations nor played the original visual novels, so I can't comment directly on your worries. However, from what I have heard, most people really hated the adaptation of Chaos;Head, so you're not alone. With Stein's;Gate...um...I'm pretty sure that's an ensemble cast? See my opening sentence.

Also, you can't really criticize a company's ability in writing likable characters if you've only seen the anime adaptation of their products. Just so you know.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Pretty much the only one I really disliked enough to be turned off on was the Chaos;Head guy and I think they did mean that. So I can't say for Chaos;Head but the other two in the ; series were fine by me (I actually loved Rintaro. He's one of my favourite male leads) so it's likely just an opinions thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1