• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ronia the Robber's Daughter's 1st Video Previews CG Footage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke:
Quote:
If being near as talented as Miyazaki Sr. was a prerequisite for getting work in anime, you'd be able to count the amount of directors in the industry on a single hand.

It might not be a prerequisite for anime at large, but there should be standards at Ghibli. That little bratty a-hole is hurting the company's rep, and he's got to go.

Quote:
Goro redeemed himself with From Up on Poppy Hill,

No, he didn't. It's boring, and Kids on the Slope is better.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mmm. Did not know this was CG. It looks better than Knights of Sidonia, but I really wish they had just animated it normally instead.

GATSU wrote:
*sigh* Why does he keep getting work when he's nowhere near as talented as his dad?

Most people are nowhere near as talented as his dad, should they not get work either?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't look too bad, but I do wish they would have gone with a more traditional style. I watched and loved both Arpeggio and Knights of Sidonia, so I'll probably be okay with this as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Penguin:
Quote:
Most people are nowhere near as talented as his dad, should they not get work either?

They can get work, but if they suck at it, it shouldn't be in the same profession as their parent(s).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Same here. I'm used to this by now. Still looking forward to this show for the Fall Season Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
It looks good I'm watching it for certian. It could be total crap, I don't know it's something we have to see when the series hits the air and see if the story, characters hold enough or it becomes a dull fantasy.

People complain it's a CGI Series; well there's more than enough mediocre 2D animation to go around as well, others complain it's Goro who will probably never escape his father's shadow unfortunately.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's the shading. Still scratching my head over how Level-5 pulled it off successfully, but the cell-shading in most CG movies (I'm thinking of the Re: Cyborg 009 movie and this) just makes the whole thing look cheaper. I had the same feelings about the CG in Sailor Moon; it looks much better with the cosmic dust background, but trying to match it with the show just doesn't look *right* somehow.

Oh, and the animation is a little creepy for me, too. It's almost...too fluid? Like those "elastic" characters in the CG A Christmas Carol. 95% of the movie, normal physics. 5% in a freaking dance sequence just turns everyone into Mr. Fantastic.

I'd point to the promo for Lady Bug for how to do it right, but they obviously have a bigger budget. :/
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
koinosuke:
Quote:
If being near as talented as Miyazaki Sr. was a prerequisite for getting work in anime, you'd be able to count the amount of directors in the industry on a single hand.

It might not be a prerequisite for anime at large, but there should be standards at Ghibli. That little bratty a-hole is hurting the company's rep, and he's got to go.

Well....There's a scene in the new documentary about Studio Ghibli, "The Kingdom of dreams and madness", where Goro is sitting in a dark office room together with Producer Toshio Suzuki and a younger producer. Goro is quite upset about a project he's about to get into (most probably Ronia) and trying to convey his feelings. Basically he has lots of insecurities and doesn't want to get into the project but he feels he has to, out of responsibility (for the company) and such. You can really feel the tense atmosphere in this scene and Suzuki trying to calm him down. I urge you to go check it out, then you might think a bit differently about him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tiny_mumu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The CG in Sidonia and Arpeggio at least helped with the rigid mechanical design the only drawbacks were the humans the the guana and on the humans I mostly noticed it in long non-black hair movement. I don't think it'll work in an environment that's just totally soft and organic like a forest. Luckily Arpeggio and Sidonia more than made up for any animation shortcomings by being fun and exciting, the total opposite of that Appleseed thing, they succeeded in spite of their handicap.

I totally agree with this.

I'm not impressed either at all, CGI characters just look very odd and here is even more apparent than knights of sidonia.. I will say that the background does look quite good, but still looks a little bit odd as well
Also I'm a little bit happy to see that kind on animation again like Moomins, Anne of the green gables and such since it's a little bit refreshing and brings good childhood memories.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Swiss:
Quote:
Basically he has lots of insecurities and doesn't want to get into the project but he feels he has to, out of responsibility (for the company) and such.

Great, so he's turned into the Japanese Shia LaBeouf, now. Razz That's all Ghibli needs. If the dude wants out, let him go. And replace him with Yonebayashi or those Cat Returns people.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
koinosuke:
Quote:

Quote:

It wasnt Goro Miyazaki who couldnt train a new generation of Directors until the previous directors had one more movie left in them. It wasnt Goro Miyazaki who made Howl's Moving Castle a movie that lets a war subplot overtake the movie until there is barely any room to talk about the main characters. Goro Miyazaki didn't create Ponyo, a movie lacking in charm that its actually Ghibli's worst movie.

From up on Poppy Hill is easily the best Ghibli movie since Spirited Away, and is probably the best Ghibli movie since Princess Mononoke.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Charred: Hey, I liked Ponyo. And other than Howl, the elder Miyazaki does things for a reason. Also, he has worked with younger directors. It's just that the management at Ghibli decided it's better to keep conning people by confusing them with his son.

Quote:
From up on Poppy Hill is easily the best Ghibli movie since Spirited Away, and is probably the best Ghibli movie since Princess Mononoke.

That's not saying much, 'cus both are boring and by-the-numbers.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
koinosuke:
Quote:

Quote:

It's not boring, it's slice of life. And I haven't seen any other films of that variety that wouldn't be considered boring in the general sense. The general belief is that he DID redeem himself with that movie. Wanna know why? Because the majority of viewers liked it. He wasn't asking whether or not you cared for it. You're not the mass public. And you're opinion is the minority. Not necessarily wrong, but not a widespread belief either.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Charred: Hey, I liked Ponyo. And other than Howl, the elder Miyazaki does things for a reason. Also, he has worked with younger directors. It's just that the management at Ghibli decided it's better to keep conning people by confusing them with his son.

Quote:

That's not saying much, 'cus both are boring and by-the-numbers.

lol wut? Sure that's fine, just go around shitting on some of the most highly acclaimed and beloved animated films of all time, it's cool.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Jay:
Quote:
The general belief is that he DID redeem himself with that movie. Wanna know why? Because the majority of viewers liked it.

It's one of Ghibli's weakest box office performers, so that's doubtful.

Quote:
Sure that's fine, just go around shitting on some of the most highly acclaimed and beloved animated films of all time, it's cool.

Poppy Hill ain't one of 'em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3