• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Mainstream Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to get into some more mainstream anime for the average Japanese viewer, however, the issue is so many of them are long runners and super long runners with hundreds and even thousands of episodes that just seeing the number makes me intimidated. I'm conditioned these days for 52 episode anime maximum. It takes some dedication to go through a 400+ episode anime, heaven forbid you aren't taking on something on the super long runner scale like Sazae-san where it is flat out impossible to see every episode unless you live in Japan and you'd be at least 40, 50, or 60 if you did.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It takes some dedication to go through a 400+ episode anime, heaven forbid you aren't taking on something on the super long runner scale like Sazae-san where it is flat out impossible to see every episode unless you live in Japan and you'd be at least 40, 50, or 60 if you did.

That's...kinda like being intimidated by "The Andy Griffith Show" for the reasons stated. Wink

Not even the craziest Japanese otaku would try to watch all of Sazae-san in order (correction: the craziest might try it for bragging rights, but the second-craziest would not).

Shows like Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan, and so on have no continuity to speak of between episodes; you can jump in anywhere because each episode is just a day in the life for the same characters and the same world -- another slice of the same ham, as it were. Just watch a few episodes, and you'll soon know who's who and what each person is like. These shows are made to be enjoyed and forgotten about, not followed or collected.

To my knowledge nothing has ever really changed in terms of story or character in Kochikame either. The only way to tell what came when in that series is A) from Akimoto's evolving art style (the early stuff looks rougher), and B) from which characters are introduced at the point you're reading. There have been a few characters added later on who became regulars, like Matoi.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
Well with most of us being nerds it's logical that those anime are most popular right? The fan service, moe, meccha, gaming, and other otaku centric anime?

I guess it's the same probably amongst Japanese *otaku* and isn't that who you should compare us with?

easy bud, it's not a value judgment, nobody is calling you out on your taste in commercial entertainment
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
Well with most of us being nerds it's logical that those anime are most popular right? The fan service, moe, meccha, gaming, and other otaku centric anime?

I guess it's the same probably amongst Japanese *otaku* and isn't that who you should compare us with?

Who is comparing us with what?

I am not sure if I am part of "us" but I suspect that I probably am.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Some of us like to read sci-fi and fantasy, but also like to sit down with a collection of Peanuts or watch a classic episode of The Simpsons as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Geo: Yeah, but Joe had a crappy 'upbringing', while Matsutaro is just plain selfish. I do seem to like both series, but I'm not going to deny that the latter is an acquired taste, even in Japan. Yeah, the manga lasted for 25 on-and-off years, but anime adaptations of seinen stories still have a sketchy history of success there. That's why I find it funny that it's considered 'mainstream'. Because by Toei standards, shows like Precure and One Piece are the ones with the big audiences, and Matsutaro seems more like the equivalent of a niche filler series you'd see on cable, Netflix or Amazon. But I will say its main appeal is seeing how such a guy could hack it in the pre-analog era, because he might have a harder time nowadays. Or maybe he'd be doing the telemarketing thing if this story were set today.

Anyway, the seinen show which needs more love is Keiji.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
About Doraemon...

Viz already put some of those "100 Years Before the Birth of Doraemon" statues in their headquarters in San Francisco, and they said on their LinkedIn that they have some merchandise coming soon, so I'm guessing DXD is still airing reruns until the merchandise comes out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2