• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Days Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Must admit, I've not seen a ton of harems...but I've seen a good number. Can't remember one that had the MC bedding multiple (or any) of the girls.
I can think of a few, not that I'd name them in mixed company. Wink

Going back to this comment, due to another news item's discussion...apparently a harem, though this was not shown in the anime itself, that has the MC sleep with multiple harem members is spoiler[Strike the Blood].

While I'm unsure if it is true (just looked at some online discussions on the source material), the character that is revealed as spoiler[the MC's daughter in the final episodes of the anime] is said to be one of many. And, apparently, when spoiler[she returns to the future], the girl we see there spoiler[is also the MCs daughter, and the mother happens to be the] harem's blonde member. Laughing

No idea if that is true. If it is, would have to be the closest I've come to an anime where the MC beds multiple harem members.

Chichiryuutei wrote:
I don't understand why people stop watching short (12-13 eps) series.

Multiple reasons. Time constraints would be the main one. When you consider there are around 15-20 new series starting up every 3 or so months, along with maybe 4 that can carry over from the previous season, you could see why some people would look to chop shows off.

You can add in any other TV people may watch, along with social outings etc...there's a lot there already.

Chichiryuutei wrote:
In my book, White Album 2 was the anime of 2013. You need to watch it all and as someone mentioned previously it isn't a harem anime it's a love triangle anime.

I admit to kind of struggling through the first half. There were things I liked and things I didn't. Sadly, all the while, I never thought we'd see a spoiler[good end]. Then, there were just things that annoyed me in the 2nd half of the show.

Chichiryuutei wrote:
Am I the only one in the anime world that goes into each series without bias or comparing it to anything I have seen previously until I complete a run?

Maybe? I tend to try and not judge shows on the tropes that are prevalent in them, but how things are executed. Of course, I do have my limits there.

Thing is, many want to try as many series as they can and they look for reasons to stop watching them due to not having the time. I'm sure that many anime watchers have backlogs that they'd like to get to, and dropping a new series that isn't as good as a similar one from the past that "did it better" is a common reason.

It's awesome that you loved WA2, it obviously connected with you in some way. it gets a solid 7/10 from me. Nothing great. It had the common harem MC. And, no, I don't think it was a harem. But he was as bland, uninteresting and thick headed as most harem MCs tend to be.

Sadly, the MC is spoiler[the only one that gets punished] at the end of WA2...just no where near as bad as School Days' MC. Laughing
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Haruki was bland in the way people irl are "bland". He's very ordinary (unlike most harem MC's actually, both pervy and thick headed nice guy types). He's developed well enough to understand why the girls fell for him and why he does what he does.

Ali07 wrote:
Sadly, the MC spoiler[is the only one that gets punished] at the end of WA2...

That is not true. I can't imagine someone thinking that spoiler[Setsuna and Kazusa were just fine by the end of the last episode].
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Good point, I did overlook that. My focus is elsewhere when it comes to suffering. Laughing

I guess that I think something worse should've happened to spoiler[Setsuna. She clearly knew that she was getting in the way of Kazusa and Haruki, along with that act contributing to Kazusa leaving and any suffering Kazusa and Haruki would undergo due to being separated. Yeah, Haruki did kind of have a crush on Setsuna, but I just felt like he was also emotionally manipulated by her.]

Setsuna spoiler[admits to what she did, and is just too easily forgiven]...it never sat right with me.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the dub before i watch SD but ….
as with some other (GREAT SERIES/highly popular)(SD ranks #208 on popularity list here on ANN …. and #78 in popularity on MAL site)(I like the way MAL has the popularity ranking on the series page..hint hint ) it seems that …it will be to long of a wait and/or it may never happen … so i will buy the sub to support the industry (and hopefully encourage the dub) … …man those seem like high popularity ratings for this series not to have a dub already …. and will post review upon completion
Because like parodies (being series that make fun of genres or other more serious versions of themselves)….SD seems like an anti harem of sorts (taken the opposite route from parodies)….it sounds like a refreshing twist series
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
That, and the fact that the "Bad Endings" from the H Game the anime was based on were already known for being infamously brutal.

Dear god, you just reminded me that I happened upon those gruesome scenes when I was browsing YouTube one day months ago.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
That, and the fact that the "Bad Endings" from the H Game the anime was based on were already known for being infamously brutal.

Dear god, you just reminded me that I happened upon those gruesome scenes when I was browsing YouTube one day months ago.
FYI, they're even more gruesome when you actually play the game.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:

Well not all of them. though considering how this ended, i have to suspect it is. though it cant be Higurashi type gruesome. That i know for sure.

Also i have a feeling the other so call bad endings for the game might be the typical endings in some harem series, though the murder suicide ending is definitely not typical. Surprised there is no OVA sequel aftermath ep cause i was definitely interested on what happened afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:

Yeah I know.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
School Days bored me when it wasn't making me frustrated at its characters. I heard the game was better, so maybe I should play that instead?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5