• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Judgement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Why do girls think it's okay to enjoy and aspire to such garbage?
And it particularly annoys me that this kind of hand-wringing is specifically aimed at girls, like having two X chromosomes somehow means you can't tell fantasy from reality.

A lot of people can't differentiate. That's the damn problem. In other words, there are a lot of stupid people in this world. Have you actually read Hot Gimmick, though? It's completely disgusting and actually portrayed as NORMAL. I've read countless comments on how girls think Ryoki is SO CUTE OMG I WISH HE WAS MY BOYFRIEND HE CAN RAPE ME ALL HE WANTS LOL.

It's sad.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
I read Hot Gimmick with an "is she really that dumb? yes, she's really that dumb... *facepalm*" approach. It's very much a car crash series for me.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first volume of Gakuen Polizi, but it is a bit slow. There is only one volume left, so I hope it has a good amount of story resolution in it, and more yuri.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy 'A Centaurs Life' when I can get it. Unfortunately, no library that I can visit carries it. And if you do ILL, well they don't lend out "new" books. We don't either (as we also do ILL) so I have to wait months. But it's a fun little romp, I think the charm of it is the artwork, but the structure is very standalone. But it is trying to take the usual "tropes" to a different level.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
A lot of people can't differentiate. That's the damn problem. In other words, there are a lot of stupid people in this world. Have you actually read Hot Gimmick, though? It's completely disgusting and actually portrayed as NORMAL. I've read countless comments on how girls think Ryoki is SO CUTE OMG I WISH HE WAS MY BOYFRIEND HE CAN RAPE ME ALL HE WANTS LOL.

Yes I've read Hot Gimmick. It's an angst-ridden relationship melodrama, like many others. It's fiction. It's fantasy. It's a specific conflicted emotional experience merged with a fantasy of a hot guy who will dominate you in kinky ways (without ever actually hurting you). I will give you my firstborn if any single one of those girls doesn't understand the difference.

People can enjoy fantasizing about situations they would never actually want to be in... unless they're girls fantasizing about sex, of course, in which case they are "stupid people" who can't separate fantasy from reality. Guys can shoot off about how awesome it would be to be [current most popular action hero] while being fully aware that if they actually were ever captured and tortured by enemy agents they'd be a blubbering all-telling mess just like everybody else. Girls who like angst-ridden relationship melodrama, on the other hand, have no self-awareness and don't know what they actually want in real life.

If you want someone to tell off, how about the men who think that women read rape-fantasy fiction because they want to be raped. They're the problem, not the readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2