• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Interview: The New English Language Cast of Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
My prediction for this dub. Awesome and well done but not 100% congruous because the voice actress for Sailor Venus gets preggers just like Terri Hawk in a historical bit of irony right around the time they are going to dub the S season.

She seems really enthusiastic about being married and any fan of the One Piece sub cast knows that women voice actors that get married tend to take time off to have kids on long running shows.

I will be very happy to be wrong. I am looking forward to this version of dubbed Sailor Moon.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
You're not implying that pregnant female voice actors can't work? Wink
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Colleen Clinkanbeard (Luffy), Luci Christian (Nami), and Stephanie Young (Robin) have all been openly pregnant while working on One Piece, and none have quit the show at any point.

The original Sailor Moon English dub was being recorded at a REALLY fast pace, sometimes close to a dozen episodes each session, and they didn't have time for Terri Hawkes to have her baby. Also, she chose to limit her physical activity as a personal choice, which included voiceover work.

In Japan, everyone records together, so sometimes substitutes occur when an actor gets sick or pregnant. In Japan, Kotono Mitsuishi was replaced for 5(?) episodes as Usagi/Sailor Moon with Kae Araki (Chibi-Usa's voice) while she having her appendix removed, including the famous two-part Season 1 finale.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Viz is going to great lengths to make sure this dub will be as consistent as possible. The old dub was infamous for it's constant casting changes.

Also, I don't think there would be anything wrong with showing this new uncut version to kids. Honestly, Sailor Moon had less objectionable content than DBZ, and kids seem to have no problem watching the unedited DVDs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if Colleen is having a boy or girl.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much thought the same thing. They're wearing leotards, so it's roughly the equivalent of seeing up a ballerina's skirt.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Good interview! I'll make sure to read all of it later when I have time. And congrats to Cherami on her wedding! I liked reading about the process of auditions. I don't think I ever knew, but I'm sure it's not all the same.

And lol Kate Higgins not knowing anything. That sounds like me Anime hyper But she's a great actress who has done great work before so I'm not worried about her at all even if she doesn't know anything about SM Very Happy

So does this mean it WAS recorded in California or did some of them have to make trips out to record? I wonder what Stephanie's home studio looks like!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
^ The actual dub was all recorded in LA at Studiopolis, but a few VAs recorded their auditions elsewhere.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
"Maybe don't show it to your kids right away?"

Folks, this show was for kids in Japan, and they dealt with the panties, I'm sure American kids can, too. It's not like the Japanese children who grew up with Sailor Moon became sex maniacs.

Well, of a kind...

AH HELLO? its not just that only. there was a reason why the dic version had zoicite as a female, uranus and neptune as cousins and the stars series never got released at all.

if they had shown that unedited in the 90's, the backlash would have been catastrophic. so much that i feared that anime on TV wouldnt have happened at all in the late 90's regarless of the other popular series of that time. and unfortunately i really doubt i would see any parent that is not anime educated or are otakus themselves giving the unedited version of this series to their kids. And then there was all of the definitely not for kids moments during Super S. no way that would slide at all in the US whether its was in the 90's or today.

naruto and bleach? yes? An Unedited version of Pokemon? Probably? but not SM.

especially if its a family that is against same sex relationships

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yeah, Colleen Clinkanbeard (Luffy), Luci Christian (Nami), and Stephanie Young (Robin) have all been openly pregnant while working on One Piece, and none have quit the show at any point.

The original Sailor Moon English dub was being recorded at a REALLY fast pace, sometimes close to a dozen episodes each session, and they didn't have time for Terri Hawkes to have her baby. Also, she chose to limit her physical activity as a personal choice, which included voiceover work.

In Japan, everyone records together, so sometimes substitutes occur when an actor gets sick or pregnant. In Japan, Kotono Mitsuishi was replaced for 5(?) episodes as Usagi/Sailor Moon with Kae Araki (Chibi-Usa's voice) while she having her appendix removed, including the famous two-part Season 1 finale.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Viz is going to great lengths to make sure this dub will be as consistent as possible. The old dub was infamous for it's constant casting changes.

Also, I don't think there would be anything wrong with showing this new uncut version to kids. Honestly, Sailor Moon had less objectionable content than DBZ, and kids seem to have no problem watching the unedited DVDs.

I'm afraid not. parents will have no problem with DBZ,but will with this series cause of one thing. same gender relationships. Also its as i said there are also some moments in the Super S series that will definitely rub them the wrong way.

and if they do release the stars series they will seriously have a problem with that. its the main reason why Toei decided not to release that series back then. definitely dont know how Viz convinced them and the creator to actually do it considering how risky it is, but i am glad they did.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ The actual dub was all recorded in LA at Studiopolis, but a few VAs recorded their auditions elsewhere.

AH. i think your incorrect there. I though it was studiopolis as well, however its being dubbed by AX. not studiopolis. that was announced when viz announced they had the license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
I'm still not overly thrilled about Stephanie Sheh and Cristina Vee playing their respective roles this isn't exactly the english cast I envisioned for the show. I'm sure the dub will be competent but I'm not expecting a masterful dub here.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm still not overly thrilled about Stephanie Sheh and Cristina Vee playing their respective roles this isn't exactly the english cast I envisioned for the show. I'm sure the dub will be competent but I'm not expecting a masterful dub here.

I'm sure they're very disappointed that they weren't able to match your vastly superior casting talents. If only you worked for Viz, this dub would be in much better hands.
Raneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed the sound of the dub clips I've heard so far. Will this dub be released on Hulu/Neon Alley along with the sub version, or just on DVD?
Pen nomine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that people are still clueless exactly how much of Sailor Moon was chopped and edited to sanitize it by DiC. Seriously, its been nearly 20 years, this is beyond ignorance.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

AH. i think your incorrect there. I though it was studiopolis as well, however its being dubbed by AX. not studiopolis. that was announced when viz announced they had the license.

The interview outright says it's being done at studiopolis.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
AH HELLO? its not just that only. there was a reason why the dic version had zoicite as a female, uranus and neptune as cousins and the stars series never got released at all.

if they had shown that unedited in the 90's, the backlash would have been catastrophic. so much that i feared that anime on TV wouldnt have happened at all in the late 90's regarless of the other popular series of that time. and unfortunately i really doubt i would see any parent that is not anime educated or are otakus themselves giving the unedited version of this series to their kids. And then there was all of the definitely not for kids moments during Super S. no way that would slide at all in the US whether its was in the 90's or today.

naruto and bleach? yes? An Unedited version of Pokemon? Probably? but not SM.

especially if its a family that is against same sex relationships

My point wasn't really that American families wouldn't have a problem with it, but rather that they shouldn't, because the Japanese audience had zero problem with it, and they're doing fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Funny story, I went to an con early this summer and people from DiC's Sailor Moon dub cast were going to be there. Viz announced their plans a WEEK before the convention.

penguintruth wrote:
My point wasn't really that American families wouldn't have a problem with it, but rather that they shouldn't, because the Japanese audience had zero problem with it, and they're doing fine.
And that's where cultural boundaries come into play, different cultures have different mindsets. Americans are much MUCH more sensitive to sexuality than the Japanese and in such, it was compensated for. Now there is no denying that both sides have their ups and downs but again, it all comes down to culture.

It also works the other way around, compare the two Big Hero 6 trailers (American) (Japanese). MASSIVE difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4