• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 14-20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
So.... good result for Haikyu!! the stand out of the week.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested in Engaged, and how its seems to be hovering on that line of maybe getting a sequel.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Yikes Kaze Tachinu 64k+ amazing. I really need to order the newest trio of Ghibli discs promised my girl I'd postpone all of my anime orders until my PayPal funds had recoup'd. Been charging way too many Japanese discs to my credit card ;p
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Seeing Chuunibyou Heart Throb, Engaged to the Unidentified, and One Week Friends all in the top 10 brings a smile to my face. Especially happy to see Engaged there!
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
This article is a perfect illustration of just how niche our beloved hobby is in the grand scheme of things. And you know what..the internet allows us to carry on just fine.

I don't know what's keeping me from importing the Ghibli movies. At least I won't have to worry about them running out any time soon.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised to see Chunibyou in the top 10 and still selling pretty well. I hope it gets one last season so there can be closure. Also congrats to Haikyuu for doing quite well!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Frozen should send chills down the other disc's spines with it's amount sold.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Frozen is just heating up.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well I can say that a Haikyu!! continuation is likely after looking at these sales numbers. Weird how the DVD and Blueray copies sold are nearly identical Laughing
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Well I can say that a Haikyu!! continuation is likely after looking at these sales numbers. Weird how the DVD and Blueray copies sold are nearly identical Laughing

Thats rather common for shows with a big female fanbase.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
This article is a perfect illustration of just how niche our beloved hobby is in the grand scheme of things. And you know what..the internet allows us to carry on just fine.

I don't know what's keeping me from importing the Ghibli movies. At least I won't have to worry about them running out any time soon.

anime bluray/dvd market is a niche market every where. Look at people are happy about 3-4k sales. lol
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:

The only anime which relies on disk sales are the niche otaku/fujoshi market, which everyone already knew was niche. Hense the name. That's the point of late night anime because it's the only way you'll ever see those kinds of shows since no major studio would ever fund them.

As far as mainstream anime goes, like One Piece or Detective Conan or Pokemon, they don't rely on disk sales, only ratings and merchandise. So they'll never really be represneted in these charts to begin with since disk sales don't matter for them.

Anime isn't niche. Niche anime is niche. Mainstream anime is mainstream. Anime comes in all kinds and can't have a sweeping generalization applied to it.

-Stuart Smith
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Anime isn't niche. Niche anime is niche. Mainstream anime is mainstream. Anime comes in all kinds and can't have a sweeping generalization applied to it.

Like US comics: US comics are niche, but motion pictures based on US comics are now mainstream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1