• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Living for the Day After Tomorrow (Asatte no Houkou) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Living for the Day After Tomorrow (Asatte no Houkou) (TV)

Genres: drama, romance, supernatural

Plot Summary: Karada is a young girl who hates being treated like a child and who wishes to be grown up. Shoko is an aloof, unhappy young woman who has just returned from overseas. When they meet by coincidence one night at a local shrine where they both like to make wishes, they exchange ages.
----------------------------------

Despite the supernatural element that's been presented which spoiler[Karada becomes an adult and Shouko becomes a child], the first episode was surprisingly intruguing and very well paced. I found myself curious about what type of relationship Hiro (who suspiciously looks like a gruffer version Yukito from Air TV Laughing) and his ex-girlfriend Shouko used to have. Karada's problem seems like what some ordinary kids have which is wanting to be older sooner and not be treated as a child.

Animation is your standard stuff you expect from J.C. Staff though I really liked the understated backgrounds. It reminded me of the same, calming feeling I used to have when I watched Figure 17 or Zettai Shounen. This goes the same with the BGMs and the OP and ED sequences.

Promising first episode, and hopefully they'll keep up with the drama now since that developement occured at the end of it. Too bad it's sort of underrated right now.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Despite the supernatural element that's been presented which spoiler[Karada becomes an adult and Shouko becomes a child], the first episode was surprisingly intruguing and very well paced. I found myself curious about what type of relationship Hiro (who suspiciously looks like a gruffer version Yukito from Air TV Laughing) and his ex-girlfriend Shouko used to have. Karada's problem seems like what some ordinary kids have which is wanting to be older sooner and not be treated as a child.

Animation is your standard stuff you expect from J.C. Staff though I really liked the understated backgrounds. It reminded me of the same, calming feeling I used to have when I watched Figure 17 or Zettai Shounen. This goes the same with the BGMs and the OP and ED sequences.Promising first episode, and hopefully they'll keep up with the drama now since that developement occured at the end of it. Too bad it's sort of underrated right now.

I agree with that last sentence. =P

I also thought that the episode was pretty good. After finishing Lamune a few months back & the current lull for Aria the Natural, I wanted to start another "peaceful" series, and Asatte no Houkou fit the bill. Smile It had an interesting cast of characters, and the music was pleasant for my ears.

Suprisingly, it's one of my favourites of the Fall 2006 season ATM.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It reminded me of the same, calming feeling I used to have when I watched Figure 17 or Zettai Shounen.

Oh, I HAVE to watch this! Cool
vroenis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
After finishing Lamune a few months back & the current lull for Aria the Natural, I wanted to start another "peaceful" series, and Asatte no Houkou fit the bill. Smile

You've said the magic words, and indeed Aria the Natural has been in a lull for quite a bit, though the first special was released a few days ago (havnen't watched it).

And production by J.C. Staff no less - looks like I'll be picking this one up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished the first ep and I can say right now that if this series keeps up it's current level it gets my vote for no.1 drama of the year. Now that's what I call a good opening episode...

I noticed the similarities with Air as well...the animation style (but not the characters except Hiro) is similar...slightly more subdued but still with strong, well formed and coloured scenes. Also the train tracks again...
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to watch this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded this on a whim. I was just looking for an anime to watch while waiting for the next episode of Kanon. This one definetely surprised me, I wasn't sure what I was going to be watching going into it but after the first episode I'm intrigued enough to continue on for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what I was expecting from this show, but instead of being peaceful and serine like Aria and Zettai Shonen were, I found this to be flat out boring and frustrating. I was sold on the plot twist at the end of the first episode, at least enough to keep watching.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I was rather disappointed personally. I tend to like these types of shows, but the entire episode I just wanted to scream as I hate characters like Shoko. She's spoiler[drowning herself in her own pity, bitter at her ex for taking care of his little sister over leaving his little sister to fend for herself and living with her, slaps him when he asks her a potentially very important question because she's embarrased about the answer, is spiteful, a coward, and is the third wheel (she screws up an otherwise great romantic atmosphere just by being there).]

Now that I think about it, most of the show was not too bad, I just absolutely despise Shoko's type of character so much, I was just in a bad mood the whole time. Still, there don't seem to be too many great shows this season, so saying this is one of the better ones isn't saying much at this point; however, I still have a lot of shows to check out. The only reason I'm willing to keep watching is because the situation with Shoko obviously changed drastically at the end and it's hard to tell exactly how they'll deal with it in the show. I don't know if I'll finish the show, but I'll definitely be watching at least another episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
8daze

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
I agree with the crowd calling this one underrated. I've heard about all the other romance shows of the new season, everything from Tokimeki to Crescent Love, but Asatte barely even got a mention by most people. From what I've seen so far though, it may very well be far and away the best.
Lynx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the interesting twist at the end of the episode, I couldn't enjoy watching it. Shouko was annoying and Hiro was just creepy with his eyes almost always being hidden. At first he reminded me of Yukito from AIR but at least Yukito didn't have both his eyes behind his hair 95% of the time. In spite of all that I'll check out episode 2 to see where the story goes and whether to continue or not.
godakame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I was rather disappointed personally. I tend to like these types of shows, but the entire episode I just wanted to scream as I hate characters like Shoko.

My thoughts of her as well, though we can grow to love her as she changes, maybe, hopefully. I remember watching Twelve Kingdoms and hating all 3 of the female leads at one point or another. Absoluting despising them. But by the end of the series, all those feelings disapated, and replaced with admiration. I'm betting Shoko will turnaround as well.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode like a half hour ago and it was decent IMO. It could turn out to be great but the plot was interesting though. I don't know I'll continue watching it after the first episodes since I'm watching more interesting recently-premiered fall shows, like Death Note.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
I just watched the first episode like a half hour ago and it was decent IMO. It could turn out to be great but the plot was interesting though. I don't know I'll continue watching it after the first episodes since I'm watching more interesting recently-premiered fall shows, like Death Note.

This is recent...

I found it pretty interesting I always love watching these series since they give me a "calm" feeling...it helps me unwind after a long day at work. Wink
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Did Shouko remind anybody else of Chikane from Kannazuki no Miko? The wholetime i watched, although she was pissing me off, i just seemed to picture as Chikane with glasses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3