• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fan Translator Removes Final Fantasy Type-0 English Patch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I know there are some--mostly Nintendo--fan translations that have been allowed by their parent company to exist. The Fatal Frame for the Wii is one example, though I believe in that case, there was no way to emulate the game; purchase was a straight-up requirement.

There are Let's Play videos of it on Youtube which feature the translated version being played on Dolphin(emulator for Wii/Gamecube) so I wouldn't say it's completely impossible...

Good to hear an official release of Type-0. A bit late though...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
#Growlynch wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:
At the end of the day the translation was illegal. Period.

I'm not sur about that. As far as I understand this translation was made for legal copies of the game. This isn't translators' fault that somebody pirated the game.

In the US, translations of copyrighted works are infringing unless they have been authorized by the work's rights holder. From http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

Quote:
Right to Prepare Derivative Works
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, an adaptation of that work. The owner of a copyright is generally the author or someone who has obtained the exclusive rights from the author. In any case where a copyrighted work is used without the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully. The unauthorized adaption of a work may constitute copyright infringement.

Translations are considered one form of "derivative" works.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
The Fatal Frame for the Wii is one example, though I believe in that case, there was no way to emulate the game; purchase was a straight-up requirement.

The Wii was insanely easy to mod, so purchasing wasn't a requirement to play ANY Wii game.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
Scumbag SquareEnix, keeping it classy.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Btw, what's with all the Vita stuff? I thought this game was for PS4/Xbox One only? Or can you play PS4 games on the Vita now?

People were wanting it on Vita/PSP before it was announced overseas. And it was, there was a mistake by an official blogger that it was coming to Vita along with the console versions. This sent an uproar when it turned out it won't come to Vita. Many still want a Vita version, as it kind of makes sense since it was on PSP and made with a portable in mind.

As for the fan translation, I really wish they would have waiting till after E3 time. To me, it really seemed like they knew this was coming and wanting to release it before SE announced it. Makes them look guilty.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Sky said that communications with a "certain game company" led him to remove information about the patch.

"certain game company"= Square Enix

That wouldn't be surprise me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
FYI Elitist Obtaining a copied digital file isn't stealing. Going into the store and physically picking something up without paying is.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

Bad on them for trying to protect their IP, right?

This is no different than a guy on Tumblr or DeviantArt making waves over a company taking their art without authorization to make a shirt that's given away as a Kickstarter prize. The work wasn't theirs--in this case, Sky's--so they can't say that they've lost anything.

A lot of fan-translators could stand to learn a little about copyright law, considering how jealous they are with their own translations.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Square-Enix has an international team of employees and failed to meet demand for their product. This is going to give negative points to SE but as always people will still come flocking back when SE releases the next product.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

Bad on them for trying to protect their IP, right?

This is no different than a guy on Tumblr or DeviantArt making waves over a company taking their art without authorization to make a shirt that's given away as a Kickstarter prize. The work wasn't theirs--in this case, Sky's--so they can't say that they've lost anything.

A lot of fan-translators could stand to learn a little about copyright law, considering how jealous they are with their own translations.

SquareEnix showed absolutely no interest in creating a translation for years. So it's really no surprise the fans beat them to the punch. Law or not, it's scummy of them to do this.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

SquareEnix showed absolutely no interest in creating a translation for years. So it's really no surprise the fans beat them to the punch. Law or not, it's scummy of them to do this.
Um thats not true. Tabata made several words over the years about an English version coming, but of course it was nothing official. Probably because they themselves were unsure how to bring it overseas.

I mean how where they supposed to? An English release of Type 0 on the PSP would have come out in 2012, mid 2012 at best. Around the time the Vita came out. PSP software sales were crap. SE's last few PSP games here sold like crap. PSP retail space was pretty much gone. You expect them to put out a big FF game in that kind of market?

Someone will say "they could have put it out digitally". Yes I'm sure SE would be happy that a big FF game sold maybe 100,000 digital copies. Because I very much doubt any of those late release digital PSP games did even close to 50,000.

It dosen't seem like PS3 is the solution either. SCEA and SCEE seem to not allow PSP to PS3 ports as full retail games. PSP HD Remasters were never released here. For example MH3 PS3. Also every other PSP to PS3 port has had to be bundled. Peace Walker HD is a full retail stand alone game in Japan. Nowhere else. So what would SE even bundle Type 0 with?

You say they showed absolutely no interests, but did you want SE to say "we are unsure of how to release the game". Yes because that would sure lead to good reactions from fans. Fans who got mad at the company for basically saying "please don't pirate the game". The best thing they could do is keep quiet.

But it's not actually clear if they simply have a problem with the Fan translation. They've had no real problems with fan translations in the past. This one though goes further to the point were it does mess and change with the games files.

But not only that, people want to compare this to how small niche companies like NIS and XSeed do things. SE is a big company, much bigger then those. Also people seem to not understand one important thing.

This is what the legal area of a company does. The legal department is not the face of the company and sometimes annoys parts of the company themselves.

But yep SE is scummy because in the face of them giving you a much improved version of thier game, they asked people to stop pirating their game. What a scummy move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the Type-0 translation patch included part of the original game (notably code and videos) instead of just having the translated text as its usually the norm in such cases.

Supposedly this is why Square Enix dropped the hammer on it, while translation patches are generally tolerated.

-Sergorn
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Had Square Enix decided to release the game over here in the first place, this would never have happened. This guy put in a lot of time to make this game playable to people who don't understand Japanese, and this "certain company" decided to try and shut it down. All Square Enix needed to do was release the game over here in a timely manner. Three years is an awfully long time to wait for an official translation of an already released game. The demand is here, so much so that a fan translation was made. How did Square Enix not see this?

And I understand the principle of just importing the game and getting the patch, but not everyone can pay import prices. Import games cost MORE than games in the west, and then you have to factor in shipping. Plus depending on where you live you may have to pay extra taxes to get your stuff, which ends up being more money. Not everyone has the financial means to go through that.

I've imported my fair share of games over the years, so I know how much importing can be a pain on the wallet.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Those defending Square in this situation are approaching it with the wrong mindset. As consumers, we don't owe these companies anything - even our sympathy or understanding as to why they would approach a fan project like this. "It's their license, so they can do whatever they want." This is problematic; as consumers, we should be constantly trying to push the envelope for our own benefit lest we be taken advantage of.

Of course, there are areas where interests will overlap: indiscriminate pirating of a developer's games is in no one's best interest. This isn't one of those cases, though.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Squenix has the legal right to do this, but it doesn't change the fact that it's yet another dick move piled atop a mountain of dick moves they've been making the past 8 years or so.

It took them 4 years to release FFXIII, and when they did it was nothing like the initial trailers. They finally give us more FFVersus (now XV) at E3 2013, then nothing else for over a year. No XV at E3 this year. Game has been in development 8 years at this point. They had to cover that gaping hole with something, so they give us a single screen shot of Type 0 and say they're working on a PS4 version.

Now, given that history...

Just how long do you think it's going to take them to release Type-0 PS4? It wouldn't be cynical at all to expect it in 2018, since all they have is a single screen shot. You can't just upscale a PSP game to PS4 graphics. They're going to need to make all new character models, etc... which they had to do for the FFX remaster... which took them 3 years to release. (And that's PS2-PS3, PSP to PS4 is a much bigger jump). They took 5 1/2 years just to get the original Type-0 finished, and it was a PSP GAME.

I don't care what's legal, because it doesn't matter. Let's face it- downloading the patch & pirated game has 0 ramifications for any of us. And enough Squenix fans are pissed enough to do just that. There's only so long you can watch an idiot bungle things before you get fed up and say 'screw it, I'll just do it myself.'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4