• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll CEO Kun Gao Talks Business and Anime on Reddit's "Ask Me Anything"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
All those questions about the issues with the video player and not a single one was answered. Just like their customer service, they give you the run-around.

If you look on the forums there is a help thread that is about the freezing, lagging, and stuttering, and it has well over a million views. But, not even a single comment from the staff.

I contacted customer service 5 months ago and they said they're working on a fix. The problems disappeared three months later. "Finally the issues are gone". Well, they're back, and people are complaining left and right. I contacted CS again and they said I should just watch on another platform for now. Too bad I don't have a video game system.

Seriously, I'm all about watching anime legally and I love CR's catalog, but man are they really pushing my patience.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Well it is called Ask Me Anything, not Answer Everything

I love how Daiz's post is the top rated one. Then HorribleSubsLeader showed up. Pretty funny AMA overall.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, I'm all about watching anime legally and I love CR's catalog, but man are they really pushing my patience

Their CS is garbage too. They go through all that BS about how changing your DNS and checking your connection/pc specs as if they don't know the problem is on their side. Then on the forums they close every threads about it and ignore posts in the existing threads about the issues. Wish they'd just be more transparent and tell us when they're finally going to do something about it.

I can watch on my PS4 but the app has a memory leak that makes it freeze after a few episodes. So even that option is pretty bad.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The best part is when he said CR started in 2008, and he was corrected with 2006, as if his site being originally for pirated material never existed. Dude got his shit handed to him so much, but typical of AMA's, they just dodge it. Are they really "Ask Me Anything"s or are they "Ask Me Softballs and be an asskisser"?
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wish they'd just be more transparent and tell us when they're finally going to do something about it.

Their CS had admitted to me twice that there is major problems with their player. They said their "operations team" is working hard on improvements. Well, there have been no updates in the past 7 months. I subscribed back in December 2013, and there has been absolutely no change to their player since then. That's not even taking into account how long they've had that player before I was subscribed.

Everyone goes through the whole "change your DNS" thing before CR finally admits that there is a problem.

It's a shame because other than the video player, CR has a lot going for them. They have a ton of titles, they get the episodes out an hour after they air, they have good translations imo, and the font they use is nice and simple. Yes, I've seen a couple series where the subtitle timing has been awful. For some reason, those couple shows had the yellow subtitles. There's some sort of correlation there.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I for one have never had problem with crashing, lagging, or whatever on the platforms I watch CR on (PC, PS4, and Roku). I also have no trouble skipping through episodes. Basically I just wanted to throw in my own anecdotal evidence of CR working great.

I do wish they'd up the quality of the Roku streams though.
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I haven't used their PC player in a couple of years since they introduced the app for panasonic smart TVs and had no idea that people had such issues with it. I never have much issue with that app, other than the occasional pause for buffering, but picture quality and functionality have always worked well for me. I do agree about the Roku app, I find it hard to understand how it has now been around for years and is still not streamed in HD.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I haven't used their PC player in a couple of years since they introduced the app for panasonic smart TVs and had no idea that people had such issues with it. I never have much issue with that app, other than the occasional pause for buffering, but picture quality and functionality have always worked well for me. I do agree about the Roku app, I find it hard to understand how it has now been around for years and is still not streamed in HD.

It seems like Roku keeps rejecting their updated app for some reason.

I thought CR pushed out an update for the PS4 that fixed the memory leak on that platform, but maybe it was only done for the PS3 so far.
jree78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I watch on apple tv, or my ipad, totally works for me.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll add my count to the those here that state they have no significant problems. Of course, I also don't have problems at Funimation's site either (which has its own reports from people with problems), so perhaps I live in a charmed area.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The best part is when he said CR started in 2008, and he was corrected with 2006, as if his site being originally for pirated material never existed.

I assume you are referring to this:
Quote:
Beginning of 2008, we incorporated as CR, took investment from Venrock.

Assuming they didn't incorporate until 2008, that statement is correct.

Also, as CR didn't go "legit" until the beginning of 2009, even that is hardly denying their existence as a fansub website.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
For the longest time I had no issues with the CR player at all. Then recently what will happen a lot of the time is I'll be watching an episode and it will suddenly freeze. I have to hit the episode link again and it starts up (pretty much) where it froze. Normally, this only happens once per episode but I've seen it happen twice.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
I've also been mostly trouble free. However I've also encountered some weird issues. I just stream without watching, so pauses due to network traffic (they must use small buffer or have some serious CDN issues at certain points) is OK for me so long as the episodes continues. But the issue is when it doesn't, when it just seems to stop/freeze. Sometimes I can just it play through an entire season in day/overnight, or sometimes I have to frequently check back and reload.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The best part is when he said CR started in 2008, and he was corrected with 2006, as if his site being originally for pirated material never existed. Dude got his shit handed to him so much, but typical of AMA's, they just dodge it. Are they really "Ask Me Anything"s or are they "Ask Me Softballs and be an asskisser"?

and this is why i refuse to use CR yeah i download but i will buy if the set is good enough.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

and this is why i refuse to use CR yeah i download but i will buy if the set is good enough.

You refuse to use a legal service because they're legal? Brilliant.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
I never had any issue with Crunchyroll. The only issue I had with the CR player is sometime it doesn't playback on my LG smart TV, I had to exit and re-enter the smart TV application. Other then that, don't have any problem with CR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2