• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Who is your Favorite Director?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Looks like you forgot Tatsuya Ishihara then. He's my favorite TV anime director now.

Didn't forget, but made a serious mistake. I thought he was a new director (only 1 series to his credit) so I skipped him. My Bad Anime smallmouth; I'll add him to the list right now.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
My only concern with Ishihara, is that people who have only seen one of his shows (Suzumiya Haruhi) will vote for him based on that one show, effectively voting for a show as opposed to a director.

Of course, this possibility exists with every director on the list, but I think it is more significant with Ishihara due to the current cult popularity of Suzumiya Haruhi.

This is why I did not include directors with only 1 directing credit (series director, didn't include episode directors) to their name.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
Huh? No Junichi Sato? Sad Ah well, I picked the "other" option as he's a definite favorite of mine.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This is why I did not include directors with only 1 directing credit (series director, didn't include episode directors) to their name.

In addition to SHnY, he is the (supervising) director (監督 kantoku) of AIR and Kanon as well. I was looking for him specifically because he wasn't in the previous poll of favorite director.

With two polls less than a year apart, the results are quite similar, I'd say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Question!

Why isn't there a "I highly enjoy anime but don't really give a crap who the director is, let alone know any of them by name" option?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
Where the hell is Rintaro?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
No Akiyuki Shinbo either? Can he be added in too?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Huh? No Junichi Sato? Sad Ah well, I picked the "other" option as he's a definite favorite of mine.

*sigh* Sadly, I think that none of his anime is popular to get him to the list...none of them are in the Top 50, I believe.

It's a shame, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
It seems that many people voted based on what director had directed their favorite movies/shows, rather than the actual directorial quality of those properties.

I voted for Oshii because I think he's a good director, not because I think his works are great (although I am an admirer of his movies). Lots of people work on a film or show -- don't give the director credit for the writing and storyboards (unless he actually did those, like Miyazaki does).

One of my favorite episodes, directorially speaking, of any anime is episode 14 of Outlaw Star, "The Final Countdown", which was directed by Akihiko Nishiyama. He's worked on several big series, but mostly as episode director, so I suppose that doesn't "count" when we are looking at directors. And I suppose the animation director deserves credit too, for the awesome kinematics in that episode. I've always been mesmerized by it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
I don't really know how to vote based on "directoral qualities", to be honest. How do you tell what is good because of the director, and what is good because of other staff?

The reason why I voted Miyazaki is because I've enjoyed *everything* I've seen directed by him, although some more than others...there's got to be some reason for that, but I don't think I could point to a certain scene and say "that's because Miyazaki was directing the movie".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe, you could do another survey of currently hot directors and add those not in this poll, like Shinbo, and put Ishihara in there too.

Miyazaki got that brand name going. Wouldn't be surprised at his popularity at all.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Where the hell is Rintaro?

Oddly enough, none of his movies are in the top 50, so he doesn't qualify. You can select "My favorite director isn't in the list."

EmperorBrandon wrote:
No Akiyuki Shinbo either? Can he be added in too?
Doesn't qualify either.

Unholy_Nny wrote:
Why isn't there a "I highly enjoy anime but don't really give a crap who the director is, let alone know any of them by name" option?

If you don't have a favorite, just don't vote. I guess I could have added "I don't have a favorite."

Dormcat wrote:
In addition to SHnY, he is the (supervising) director of AIR and Kanon as well.
Yes, I'm aware of that, that would be why I said "I made a mistake... I'll add him."
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I don't really know how to vote based on "directoral qualities", to be honest.

This is why I phrased the question "favorite." But even there, you're right to ask what is the result of the director, and what si the result of the people he worked with. That's also part of why I didn't include directors who have only directed one show.

I'm going to get the staff to write an article on this, but the question I'm going to ask them will be for "best directors." It will be done very similarly to the way we did the best anime back in Protoculture Addicts issue 84.

-t
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Unholy_Nny wrote:

If you don't have a favorite, just don't vote. I guess I could have added "I don't have a favorite."

But, not having a "I don't have a favorite" option is slightly unfair. People should be able to see not just who people think is best, but also how many people don't bother with stuff like that. So, yes, you could(and should) have added "I don't have a favorite" to the poll.

Besides, if I don't vote then I don't express my opinion, and if I don't express my opinion, no one will know what it is.
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Why does Takahata always do so badly?

He's just as important as Miyazaki when it comes to making films for Studio Ghibli.

Pom Poko, Grave of the Fireglies, Gauche the Cellist, Little Norse Prince. These are all A grade movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8