• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Who is your Favorite Director?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Question!

Why isn't there a "I highly enjoy anime but don't really give a crap who the director is, let alone know any of them by name" option?

The answer to your question is extremely simple: it's the default answer.

Anime fandom is unique from other fandoms in that its members possess a near-total lack of interest in its creators. Certainly, people who read books know their favorite authors, people who consider themselves film fans know who directed their favorite films, and people who like music know the names of their favorite artists.

Actually, I lack knowledge of film directors and I don't really care about who the author of a specific book is, even though I know the name of a few.

I do have some interest in creators, just not specific people, but rather companies. Such as J.C. Staff and... nothing else really comes to mind as far as companies I like either, I would say Gainax but they really aren't that great and are really overrated, and studio Ghibli is nice, I guess, but I prefer full series over films.

EDIT: Oh, yes, I also have favorite manga authors. Such as Peach-Pit, CLAMP, and Koge Donbo.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I think that the reason why I memorize all this production crap (other than to assert my intelligence over people, har har har) is that I actually think it's genuinely important to know who the hell is making the stuff I watch...

I mean, so I can have a consistent system of seeing things that I KNOW I'll like instead of just watching this and that; doing that (just seeing this and that) is REALLY unproductive... sure, I don't see as many shows as the next guy, but damn... I always tend to walk away satisfied when I "stick to the plan" and just watch stuff from people that I know who have done competent work in the past.

Yeah... when I think about it... this is really simple logic (and I am a simple man... man).

And yes, I am one of those people who can name a lot of english dub actors, though, surprisingly enough, I actually pay more attention to who directs the dubs and which studios do what... again, so I have that "consistent path" thingy... THOUGH, I kinda watch everything dub, so that doesn't necessarily make any damn sense (whatever).

But then, I can at least give people a well-grounded opinion (sort of).

So... uh... yeah... people should really just try to make an effort to keep track of production credits... but, yeah... it's tedious.

Last edited by DKL on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squirrama

If Sailor Moon is on the list of the most popular, than I'd love to see Kunihiko Ikuhara on that list.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena, both the series and the movie, have forever cemented his name as synonymous to genius director in my mind. No one else even comes close.
fxg97873

I'm going with Ikuhara from Utena
Too bad he's not listed there.

mk2000

EDIT: I can't believe Squirrama and I posted about the same thing at the same freaking time! Pretty amazing I think.

Last edited by fxg97873 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I just had to pick Miyazaki because he's my favorite director period. But if I had to pick a runner up I'd definitley say Isao Takahata. Not only did her direct all of the great Ghibli movies mentioned here, but he also directected my favorite series ever 3,000 Leagues in Search of Mother. The single greatest anime series I've ever seen.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Anime World Order"]
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Anime fandom is unique from other fandoms in that its members possess a near-total lack of interest in its creators.
I think you're forgetting something important here. Most anime fans aren't big diehard movie buffs or major bookworms. Most anime fans are kids and teens. Of course kids and teens aren't going to be as interested in the technicalities of who produced what Japanese cartoon as movie buffs or bookworms. Bashing the kids and teens who make up the core of anime fandom for being ignorant of who produced what is like bashing people for being ignorant about who was the director for every Disney film. And remember, it's just ANIME. It's not like you're going to fail school or fail to get a job just because you can't remember every single anime director in existence. Anime is only a HOBBY, something to be enjoyed for what it is, it's not like some important subject that's required to study in college to get a degree that you have to memorize every single little detail about it. Just because somebody might not know as much about anime as Mr. Hot Shot You doesn't make them any worse of an anime fan than you, either. And what about all the anime fans in this thread who have even suggested several directors that weren't on the list to be added to the poll? I suppose their knowledge of anime directors doesn't count for anything (sarcasm).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I changed my vote to Tatsuya Ishihara, but I am still incredibly perturbed with the lack of Akiyuki Shinbo.

Honestly! You'll list Yuu Kou, but not him?!

Kou qualified, Shinbo didn't. What's so hard to grasp about that? We didn't "chose" any directors, we chose a set of qualifications and stuck to them.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

How could Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, or Metropolis not make the top 50?

Are you being sarcastic, or do you actually want me to answer that ? People simple didn't rate them high (good) enough.

-t
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
About the fact that con goers couldn't name the directors, but could name the voice actors--when you think about it, it's not just anime...it's our culture in general. It's not QUITE as bad, but...to be honest, I couldn't tell you the name of the director for many films I've enjoyed. Sure, I know the big ones--Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, etc etc. But I couldn't tell you the director of Beauty and the Beast. But I can tell you most of the cast, and on a good day a chunk of the animators of the movie, as well.

Plus, english VAs have a large amount of precence at anime cons, where having a JAPANESE guest, like a director, is a *big* deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
About the fact that con goers couldn't name the directors, but could name the voice actors--when you think about it, it's not just anime...it's our culture in general. It's not QUITE as bad, but...to be honest, I couldn't tell you the name of the director for many films I've enjoyed. Sure, I know the big ones--Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, etc etc. But I couldn't tell you the director of Beauty and the Beast. But I can tell you most of the cast, and on a good day a chunk of the animators of the movie, as well.

Plus, english VAs have a large amount of precence at anime cons, where having a JAPANESE guest, like a director, is a *big* deal.

On that subject though, I actually only do this memorizing BS for anime... not really much anything else (which is ironic given that the facts are probably more accessible than all this speculating stuff I do with anime).

But yeah, there are times when I just have to go:

"Is it too snobby to talk like this?"

To fix that (and so that I don't seem like a total douche), I try to screw around as much as possible while talking about stuff.

Fo' shizzle! (see... it works).

But yeah, people should just enjoy whatever at whatever level they like to enjoy it at... you know? That way, everyone's happy.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kouji, you should fix your quote tags, because in the current state it looks like I was the one that said that. Which is bad because I didn't....

And, besides, what Anime World Order said isn't anywhere near as supremist as you made it seem.

DKL wrote:
But yeah, people should just enjoy whatever at whatever level they like to enjoy it at... you know? That way, everyone's happy.

Exactly, anyform of hobby or entertainment can be enjoyed on any seperate level for seperate people.

For instance, I played through "Disgaea" once and got 40 hours on my game clock and extremely enjoyed it, yet I know several people who have clocked over 120 hours in several play throughs.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I think that the default answer should be "Tatsuya Ishihara". Laughing
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm still no Kunihiko Ikuhara. You'd think Shoujo Kakumei Utena wasn't the ground-breaking series that it was.
ThePhatBishounen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
How do we see the list of qualifying anime?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it.
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tomino is my God.

*Does the Turn-A hand sign*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8