• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill [Limited Edition] BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Yep, I think Hope's review captured nicely what appealed to me about the show (and how those exact same elements are likely to repel those who don't get on the bandwagon). I also appreciated the insight into the puns which I wasn't aware of as a non-Japanese speaker.

Oh and I am a Mako fan by the way - may anyone who is a hatah be choked to death by their own clothing.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
GekiRed wrote:
If the mods did outright ban discussion of AoA prices especially when a lot of people have valid concerns over them, then they come across as practically saying that they approve of said prices in my opinion!

By what logic does this quote make sense? We - and a lot of others - are just tired of the same thing over and over, whether we agree with it or not. Beside, I allowed eight pages for people to air their grievances before locking it down. That's well more than enough.

You get a double warning for blatantly ignoring a directive to stop discussing the topic and for serial posting. (Except for special circumstances, making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread is strongly discouraged under forum rules.) I have deleted some of your posts and a couple of others for continuing to discuss the topic.

Really, take a clue here before you end up Moderated, friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
I am surprised he didn't talk about the music. The music itself was just as great as the story and animation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Why are people still posting about pricing when there have been repeated requests by Key to cease and desist? Perhaps bannings will get the message through?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why are people still posting about pricing when there have been repeated requests by Key to cease and desist? Perhaps bannings will get the message through?

Yeah, well I already reported the post, so I guess commence the banning and moderation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Because I can't be bothered to read the entire thread.

If the mods are making a new rule, maybe they should make a sticky about it? You can't blame people for not reading an entire thread.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
You don't need to read the entire thread. Even if you had bothered skimming the last few pages, you would have seen the warnings. We really don't need people around here who post, disappear and then don't bother doing the barest minimum to see what else has been posted in their absence. Part of being a useful poster in a thread is being a reader, too.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
I think Hope did a great job in this review, especially in that she glossed over the sexual aspects. So much of the dialogue concerning KlK was about how it was about sexual liberation and junk and yeah... Lynzee Lamb's editorial on Engendered Dilemma kinda covers it: the show's just plain exploitative, and that's not wrong in-and-of-itself, but people attributing all of this progressive sentiment to it is.

Considering how much of KlK's dialogue is about Ryuko *snrk* "accepting her sexuality through Senketsu" *snicker*, I appreciate that Hope treated it as the non-issue it was and focused on the comedy--which is what KlK does focus on for the first quarter of the series.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
The script for this show was abysmal, and the insane amount of creativity that went into the character designs, animation, and setting couldn't save it. Forget the price-gouging; I wouldn't take Kill la Kill for free.

I wouldn't say it was abysmal, but it was definitely flawed to a big extent. Well, the second half in particular.

From what I've heard about the writing/script making process (for the second half), it was basically "If someone has a cool idea, we'll use it!".

So, basically, you had people who worked on sound, people who worked on visuals, etc working on the story.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, which makes sense, given some of the average explanations for some things in the second half (lol Aliens) and moments that not only felt pointless, but just felt like something out of a bad fan-fiction.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
If the mods are making a new rule, maybe they should make a sticky about it?

Like this?

AoA pricing has been an issue of soapboxing for a while and has de-railed many a thread. That's why the topic is discouraged from being discussed at all, because people get angry over the prices, everyone else tells them to be quiet or leave it alone, the angry people continue to be angry, and the thread goes to shit over money instead of talking about whatever the original topic was.

Talk about the show, not how much it costs.

A lot of reports about soapboxing, too. Gonna' have to clean..
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K: Thanks for dealing with that. I don't like Aniplex pricing too, but I don't whine and complain about it on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
People who are ignoring the mandate to stop arguing about Aniplex prices will now be banned outright.

I'll say this again in case people missed it when I just said it right now.

People who are ignoring the mandate to stop arguing about Aniplex prices will now be banned outright.

"I didn't read the thread" is not an excuse. Zero tolerance from here on.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Moving on . . .

I thought the music in Kill la Kill was very strong, especially Ryuko's catchy theme song Before My Body is Dry and the incredible Blumenkranz (a theme song for a yet-to-be seen character).

But when I listened to the OST I was left disappointed. The songs on the OST were not as good as how I had remembered them in the show. I think this is the opposite situation than for example Gundam SEED Destiny, which had fantastic OSTs but the music in the show was (by and large) underwhelming.

Just goes to show how it isn't about having good music pieces, but rather being able to use what you've got effectively.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes the situations depicted in the show do the music justice, rather than the opposite.

I think that scenes in a show sometimes imprint themselves on you so deeply that out of context, the music might not be as special. But for me, it's the case where the music will always remind me of the scene and that's why I listen to it at all out of context.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Railing this forum back on topic:

Kill la Kill was amazing! Best aneemu evar! <3 :3

Fanboyism sure, but that's better, right? I'm gonna go listen to the soundtrack now while I contemplate my meaningless existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11