• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill [Limited Edition] BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification about the pronunciations!

I would say Kill La Kill's Animation deserves neither a C, nor an A. It's around the B range. There are cases of off model and rather deformed looking characters during still scenes (Episode 4 was chock full of these off-model moments that I'm surprised weren't fixed at all for the DVD/Blu-Ray release.) It's unfortunately very sloppy looking, but it's the kind of sloppiness that can be forgiven if you're engrossed in it enough.

But when the characters are put into action- I think the animation is amazing. The fast pace and craziness of it all just fits with the tone the anime is trying to deliver. Plus the animation they give to certain characters adds an interesting quirk to them (for example, Nui is animated to move differently from the others in order to emphasize just how plain off she is.) It also helps that the art style looks like it was slightly influenced by Western Cartoons, which makes it easier to give the characters more fluid and over the top facial and body expressions.

It's not on KyoAni's level of fluidity and prettiness, but it's still pretty good animation given the style it was using and when compared to some other anime that we've been getting recently.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
@ fullmetalhollow - good response to SynergyMan. Yeah, for some people "good animation" means using a high frame rate so that movement is fluid and as smooth as possible. That's fine as one particular technical measure of animation, but as you suggest, it literally ignores the bigger picture. A show like KlK used a number of techniques to great creative effect but that seems lost on those people who narrowly focus on purely technical aspects.
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
I'm even more disappointed about the price tag after hearing it's a good dub. I thought it sounded pretty good from that preview a while back, but there's really no way I'd ever spend that much simply for the dub. I'll settle for sub since it's so readily available and I suppose I'll decide whether I think it's worth the price after that (though, I'd have to REALLY FREAKING love it at 4 episodes a disk .)
law240

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As far as animation is concerned Kill la Kill great job of conveying high energy and movement at all times. show like Beyond the Boundary had lot of fluid motion but it lacked life and energy of Kill la Kill so I think an "A" for animation is just right
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
fullmetalgirl21 wrote:
I'm even more disappointed about the price tag after hearing it's a good dub. I thought it sounded pretty good from that preview a while back, but there's really no way I'd ever spend that much simply for the dub. I'll settle for sub since it's so readily available and I suppose I'll decide whether I think it's worth the price after that (though, I'd have to REALLY FREAKING love it at 4 episodes a disk .)

I'm more surprised that your are.

This is Aniplex were talking about here. Not Viz Media. OF course all of their releases are gonna be outrageously high. that was a giveme when they released those Fate/Zero collections with those type of price tags.

Sure i don't like them either,but hell, if the released have tons of extras, high quality animation and a very outstanding English dub just like what they did for Fate/Zero,Sword Art Online,Kill La Kill & Madoka Magica, then i say

JUST SHUT THE HELL UP & TAKE MY MONEY GODDAMNIT!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 7 episodes of this show and just got to where I couldn't stand it. It was like a jack hammer pounding into my head, the same relentless screaming at me episode after episode. Not my idea of fun. I don't begrudge those who like it. At least this was different and fulfilled needs in others that weren't being met. And it may be quite clever writing. But if someone wanted to scream Jane Austen in my face for several hours straight I'd wouldn't bother with it either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11