• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can't [correctly] add ebook product pages

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatotarzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
First off, sorry for posting two topics in two days...

Anyway, I noticed that now the ebooks of the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga are sold as the 3-in-1 versions. So I decided to add them to the encyclopedia page here:

manga#2440

As you can see, it didn't work quite right, but I don't see where I went wrong. I started off by clicking on "Release - I know this." Then, I got it to recognize the ISBN with the Barnes & Noble link. (It doesn't seem to work with Amazon.com links...)

For some reason the resulting product page results in a graphic novel ("GN") page, and not an eBook page. Not only does this mean that it is under the wrong heading on the encyclopedia page, but it also means that the product page will forever ask for urls from Anime Castle, AnimeNation, Rakuten, and Right Stuf, which, as far as I can tell, cannot and will not have the ebooks on them.

And then, for consistency's sake, I tried adding all four of the omnibuses to the encyclopedia page. With the second volume, I tried only submitting the B&N link and then adding the Amazon link after the page had been created, but the same thing happened.

Volume 4 was the most obnoxious: It won't let me add the Amazon link at all! It says, "Could not find ASIN in that page." Here's the Amazon link: www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Edition-Vol-ebook/dp/B00FDZLAR4/

Not only is the ASIN clearly listed on the Amazon page, but it is also at the end of the URL itself!

And, as you can see, the cover art of the volume doesn't show up on the product page, even though it was clearly on the B&N page:

release#26854

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/neon-genesis-evangelion-3-in-1-edition-vol-4-yoshiyuki-sadamoto/1113838052?ean=9781421568317

Meanwhile, here and elsewhere, whenever I add an Amazon Kindle Store link to a product page (every eBook product page I've checked so far seems to lack an Amazon link), it says under the link "probably out of stock; price is unknown." This makes me suspect that ANN is not programmed to handle the most recent format for Amazon Kindle pages, or something along those lines.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes the scraper whiffs harder than other times, and it gets the media type wrong. Just post over in the Release Corrections thread and an editor can help move it over where it belongs. Generally you shouldn't need to fudge anything with the title when submitting. Either it gets it right or doesn't, and there isn't much we can do other than request correction or wait for one of them to do it in the first place.

Considering how infrequently the eBooks use a universal ISBN, rather than a system-proprietary number, and thus are unable to list both stores is why I generally stopped trying to submit them. Hopefully finding some way to link the competing stores will be among the updates when the next version of the encyclopedia submission system comes out.
potatotarzan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and posted about this in the Release Corrections thread, but I still don't understand why I can't add the Amazon link to the fourth volume when I could with volumes 1-3. Upon examination, all the B&N pages only have the ISBNs, and all the Amazon pages only have the ASINs. Why is the encyclopedia specifically rejecting the fourth volume? And why is the cover art not showing up? I suppose I should probably just let it go...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Amazon don't display UPC/ISBN/EAN numbers on the pages, but they are presented through the affiliate API. For books they list the ISBN and the ISBN in EAN format (978 prefix) but the EBooks it is presented as an "EISBN".

That being said, I can't see any reason for it not to accept vol. 4 when it accepted vol. 3 since I can't see any difference between them on the API side.

I think this needs to be submitted as a bug report, once I've figured out what the bug actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Indeed, there was a bug (which I just fixed). What I don't understand is how you were able to submit Vol 1-3, because the same problem should have happened with them.

As for the Kindle ebooks lacking a price, there's nothing we can do about that. Amazon has decided not to make the price available through their API. We could resort to page scraping but I don't want to invest that time... yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I know ebook problems have come up in a more recent thread but I can't find it...

It is apparently impossible to add the Kindle Edition of the Danmachi novels.

The wizard gives a "This doesn't appear to be a valid page; could not find flag,badurlcode,refcode" error, and I can't even add it manually since I can't get an eISBN; the API just tells me "This item is not accessible through the Product Advertising API." (which is probably the same problem the scraper is hitting).
For whatever reason volume 3 does work (although I had to add it manually as it couldn't see the ISBN) and oddly that volume turned up as a Nook book (when there was none for vol. 1 I didn't look further on B&N, but they have 3&4). Using the Nook edition as a base I could add vol. 4 using the wizard, although I had to change it to an ebook manually after (which was the problem in that other thread I couldn't find now that I think of it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
There are still problems with Amazon. I've added the Nook version of No Game No Life vol. 4 but the Amazon page is just returning "This doesn't appear to be a valid page; could not find flag,badurlcode,refcode" whether I use http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00QFMWSMA/animenewsnetw-20 or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7D8QYO.

In this case I can view the product fine in the API

Code:
<ItemAttributes>
 <Author>Yuu Kamiya</Author>
 <Binding>Kindle Edition</Binding
 <EISBN>9780316385220</EISBN>
 <Label>Yen On</Label>
 <Languages>
  <Language>
   <Name>English</Name>
   <Type>Published</Type>
  </Language>
 </Languages>
 <Manufacturer>Yen On</Manufacturer
 <ProductGroup>eBooks</ProductGroup>
 <ProductTypeName>ABIS_EBOOKS</ProductTypeName>
 <PublicationDate>2016-01-19</PublicationDate>
 <Publisher>Yen On</Publisher>
 <ReleaseDate>2016-01-19</ReleaseDate>
 <Studio>Yen On</Studio>
 <Title>No Game No Life, Vol. 4</Title>
</ItemAttributes>

--edit--

Two oddities I've just noticed - I linked to amazon.com but when I click the links I end up at amazon.co.uk. It it something your redirectingat.com script is doing?
It's also just as well I had the ASIN for the first Danmachi eNovel volume as whenever I try to get to it through Amazon I somehow end up at the first eManga volume every time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I've tracked down the ISBNs for the missing Danmachi volumes and added them manually so they can be added to collections.
Apart from the Amazon problem, I have no idea why vols 1&2 don't have Nook editions; they indicate they have an them, but it takes you to the manga instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1