• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hello Kitty Dictionary Gets Axed Over Murderous Description

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The "rape" definition used the meaning that it's a man having sex with a woman against her will? Sheesh, they could've updated to mean having sex with a person against their will.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The "rape" definition used the meaning that it's a man having sex with a woman against her will? Sheesh, they could've updated to mean having sex with a person against their will.

They could have updated it to mean having sex with Hello Kitty, I'd buy a copy. Smile

(Seriously, are we that intent on discussing the Ramifications of Social Revolution and Repression, that we're that ready to throw the disgruntled-sabotage "Somebody was trying to be fired.... Razz " theory so immediately out the window?
Sheesh, get a life, and buy an immature sense of humor!)
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
New piece of merchendise, called "Hello Killer"? Very Happy
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd object more to that utterly sexist definition of rape.

Women can be the perpetrators and men can be the victims as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
until my 6 year old asked me what "rape" meant

What? Why would s/he ask? The definition is right there in the dictionary! That's what a dictionary is for! That six year old is a big disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
kenway wrote:
Created an account just to call out this bullshit. If you think that homosexuality is too adult for children, there's a good possibility that you're heterosexist and a homophobe. Actually that "not as bad" part proves it anyways

Nah, brah, I'd say it's more problematic we're drawing lines in the sand. You didn't say a word about the book being taken down for definitions of murder, violence, and (incorrectly defined) rape. But someone suggests some parents might think the word gay to also be a problem to pull the book, you register just to cry out intolerance and being close-minded. Either they're all okay or none are okay, man. You can't just pick and choose what gets censored selectively. That's even worse than sweeping censorship.
Osaka2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Just another example of hyper-concerned parents (and companies) freaking out about the possibility of children *gasp* learning about the real, non-shealtered world. If you prevent children from learning about anything that is even remotely somber, negative, and "real" (note: there is nothing negative about people being gay), how are they supposed to learn about society and humanity? All you're doing is setting them up for ignorance and a lack of understanding as an adult.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If the parents wanted the kids to learn everything, unfiltered, they could've just given them a Websters.

Personally, don't see this being about parents sheltering their children when complaining about what they have in this case.

I wouldn't be surprised if parents just saw Hello Kitty and thought that it'd be a cute little dictionary for small children, not expecting things like rape and the different definitions of gas/necklace to be words/definitions within it's pages.

And, I don't think that it'd be an unreasonable assumption to make.
kenway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
@Emma Iveli
Ah, I see. Sorry about that!

@Ryu Shoji
The definition is incorrect but it isn't sexist. To say it was sexist would imply that men and women are impacted equally by sexism. In other words, it doesn't go both ways.

@DavetheUser
Other people had commented on removing those words, and I don't have to comment on every issue in order to make a valid point. If you actually cared about either of those issues you could have made a new comment about them instead of responding to mine. And no, if you say that it's all or nothing you're implying those words are in the same category of appropriateness.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
until my 6 year old asked me what "rape" meant

What? Why would s/he ask? The definition is right there in the dictionary! That's what a dictionary is for! That six year old is a big disappointment.

I would have to disagree. The six-year-old read a word in the dictionary and didn't understand it (maybe "sex" was left out.) If the dictionary really was labeled as "for [those] aged 11+" then her mother clearly didn't. Looks like a generational improvement to me.
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Where did they even get these definitions? I'm surprised that any current dictionary would gender rape as only being committed by men. Necklaces are only worn by women? Rolling Eyes
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
kenway wrote:
@Emma Iveli
Ah, I see. Sorry about that!

It's okay...

I should have been much more clear to begin with...

Also since then I showed it to my dad, he thinks that the guy who wrote it and/or edited it wanted to get fired.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
eternalblue81 wrote:
Necklaces are only worn by women? Rolling Eyes

Well, at least the 2nd definition given says "person". So, we know everyone can be killed with that method. Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Also since then I showed it to my dad, he thinks that the guy who wrote it and/or edited it wanted to get fired.

(Told ya. Cool )
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
eternalblue81 wrote:
Necklaces are only worn by women? Rolling Eyes

I guess the author of that item has never seen the pitching staffs in Major League Baseball!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3