• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about Robert's Anime Corner Store (RACS)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to pre-order something from Right Stuf for a few days now, but for various reasons I couldn't get to it. Now, I find the item in question is out of stock.

That said, RACS has that item and for a good price, but....it's making me a little worried. For starters, the site's ancient. Ancient. I coded better sites in my HTML class in high school. :<

So, I just need to know...am I making a huge mistake by ordering from these guys? I just have to know if:
1-Will I actually get what I ordered - and in a relatively timely manner (for free economy shipping....)?
2-Will it arrive properly packaged, undamaged?
3-Am I making a huge mistake?

From the few reviews and aggregates I read, the site has a fair rating, but some of those negative reviews are toxic.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Robert is a credible and well respected retailer.
yes, his webiste is stuck in the 80s, but that's the vibe he is going for.

as long as the item is in stock you should get it in a timely manner as ordering anywhere else.

If there is an add to cart button at right stuff you can still place back-orders and it will ship when new stock arrives unless this is some obscure out of print item.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Not obscure. It was this.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=fun07270

Granted, I'm paying $5 extra in shipping, but that's a miniscule price to pay.

Anyways, thank you. Until you posted, I kept going through some other reviews to help make up my mind, so you just kinda cemented it. Order has been placed. :3
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think, from what I've heard, that a lot of the dislike for RACS comes from A) Some of the owner's dubious political attitudes which he isn't shy about sharing and B) From his practice of jacking up his prices on items once they go out of print. I've never had any issues with the store itself though. It's perfectly functional and reliable as far as I know.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well...the Attack on Titan LE with the artbox was actually cheaper at RACS (and out of pre-print!). Only the shipping was a bit killer.

Anyway, I'll see what happens in two months time.

That said, he's an independent seller, right? He has every right to jack up any stuff in his inventory that's out of production just as much as I have the right to scalp Persona 2 for the PS1 for crazy on Amazon's marketplace. (Which I totally didn't do...don't do.)

Sure, it seems unethical-ish, but that's business right? I mean, good lord - you guys should take a peek into the world of TCG like Magic. Brand new products or ones still in production constantly get jacked up at various retailers. MSRP literally has no meaning when it comes to Magic, Yugioh, or any other card game. You wanna talk bad business, take a peek at Star City Games. Laughing
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
oh that item
there was a reason it was discontinued maybe
check the funimation website
there are like 3 or 4 different attack on titan bundles, I'm not knowledgeable in what comes with what.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's store is ridiculously pricey though. :< Which is why I assume it's totally pre-sold out on TSRI. And that Collector's Edition is out of the question - not enough extra stuff for me to justify the extra cost. But $5-10 for just the artbox? I can live with that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I've ordered a few things directly from RACS and at least one time an item that they were selling on Amazon. RACS is legitimate and I've never had any issues the few times I've ordered there. I've also never had any problems with shipping and what I've received has been generally well protected. The one time I had something backordered for quite sometime (Moribito BD 1) I emailed them and they responded promptly. So for myself I haven't had any issues with shipping, packaging and responsiveness from the staff. My preference though is RightStuf as I've generally received really good customer service in the past and have been very satisfied with prices there.

I agree with what ikillchicken stated that most of the negativity I've encountered with RACS has to do with pricing of OOP items.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
RACS service is excellent. I've ordered from them for years now with no problems that weren't settled to my satisfaction. It is a good idea to price check between them and TRSI as one often has a lower price for some items, usually with no explanation.

If an item is in stock, RACS will usually ship in one to two days. Anything you pre-order will be shipped as soon as it arrives at his location.

If you sign up for the RACS newsletter, you will be notified every Friday of what is in and of the weekly discount.

If you do have a problem and contact customer service, you get Robert himself.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to know. Very Happy Thanks.

Maybe I'll start using the site for hunting down rare goodies sometime down the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1