• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I Am Not At SDCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Of the most recent commentaries I enjoyed: the Japanese commentaries for Bakemonogatari, where the actors stay in character.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
It makes zero sense to have an English dub commentary track without either, A) The director, or B) The ADR script writer for that episode, for all the reasons Justin said. Dub actors just don't know anything about their shows. Of course, sometimes even the director doesn't have much to say, which can be annoying.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Animation studios from different countries for hire, it still happens today. Gravity Falls, Legend of Korra, and many of the direct to DVD animated movies based off of American comic books are all great examples.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Along the lines of what @omiya stated, the anisong business is big these days. I definitely appreciate it and continue to be amazed how popular some specific releases are with fans - like the character song series for Kuroko's Basketball and Free! or the OP/ED and insert songs for Love Live!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I found this week Answerman to be very interesting. I like to add into this:

Regarding the contract work with Japanese studio on American cartoon: Oh boy, now you're going to revive "what is anime" debate when it comes to co-productions and outsourcing.

About anime/shows that are "short": I have nothing to add to it since I don't watch a lot of it, but they're interesting to watch.

About voice actor commentaries: I have nothing to add since I don't pay attention to those.

About anime opening/closing songs: Yeah thanks for the history lesson over these, and yes you are correct on those. It's not only in anime but also in J-dramas. But sadly, like OSTs, not many anime opening and closing are avaliable outside of Japan.

But thanks for this week Answerman Q&A. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I found AnimEigo's dub commentaries with the folks at Coastal Carolina Studios for the "Oh My Goddess" OVA DVDs highly entertaining... the cast was brought back together (well, K-1 & the 3 Goddesses anyhow) a few years after recording the dub, and in addition to reminiscing about cast members who were not present, they spent most of the time MSTing their own dub work ("My God, is my voice REALLY that high?" asks Skulds' VA after Skuld recites a long chunk of dialog, for example) & affectionately lampooning the show itself.

One of my favorite dub commentaries, and possibly the only commentary I have ever atually listened to in whole.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
Along the lines of what @omiya stated, the anisong business is big these days. I definitely appreciate it and continue to be amazed how popular some specific releases are with fans - like the character song series for Kuroko's Basketball and Free! or the OP/ED and insert songs for Love Live!

Thanks, and I'd completely overlooked character songs (ie songs that don't appear in the anime but are sung by the voice actors/actresses).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya_character_song_albums#Yuki_Nagato by way of the song "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" sung by Minori Chihara on an orchestral concert video included with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray box set started me off thinking about visiting Japan.

@mdo7 for J-Drama, Yuki Kajiura, better known for her vocal and instrumental anime music compositions has been writing the music for "Hanako to Anne" a J-Drama about the Japanese woman who translated "Anne of Green Gables" into Japanese.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

@mdo7 for J-Drama, Yuki Kajiura, better known for her vocal and instrumental anime music compositions has been writing the music for "Hanako to Anne" a J-Drama about the Japanese woman who translated "Anne of Green Gables" into Japanese.

Oh, I didn't know there was even a J-drama based on a translator who translated Anne of Green Gables into Japanese. Shocked That's very interesting.

Also thanks for the info Yuki Kajiura, hey Omiya, do you know who is Japan's equivalent to Baek Ji Young (she's known as the queen of Ballard and queen of K-dramas OST in Korea)??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
It makes zero sense to have an English dub commentary track without either, A) The director, or B) The ADR script writer for that episode, for all the reasons Justin said. Dub actors just don't know anything about their shows. Of course, sometimes even the director doesn't have much to say, which can be annoying.

and that's part of why the R.O.D The TV commentaries were so good, every one of them had Taliesin Jaffe, who was both the director and script writer, even when the commentaries had the actors on it (in fact one of the commentaries was just Jaffe himself)
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Yuki_Nagato by way of the song "Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite" sung by Minori Chihara on an orchestral concert video included with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray box set started me off thinking about visiting Japan.

Wow - the Yuki Nagato character single by Minori Chihara is her first solo release I'm pretty sure and still my favorite of her works. The song you note and SELECT? are so in character.

I've got the CD of the Tokyo Philharmonic Suzumiya Haruhi no Gensou but never seen the live footage (didn't even know about it). Just listening to it though I still get goose-bumps hearing Aya Hirano perform God Knows... she is pretty impressive singing that song with the orchestra.

I'm sure attending those anisong lives is fun - the fans always have such great energy. Hopefully I'll make it to an event in the near future.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
hey Omiya, do you know who is Japan's equivalent to Baek Ji Young (she's known as the queen of Ballard and queen of K-dramas OST in Korea)??

I can't think of anyone sorry, I mainly follow anime and soundtrack music, which tends to be more intense.

PS, a friend suggested Beni Arashiro.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

I'm sure attending those anisong lives is fun - the fans always have such great energy. Hopefully I'll make it to an event in the near future.

I hope that you can also, even though the chance of actually meeting the artists in Japan is basically restricted to meet-and-greet events at record stores.

Maybe ANN could do an occasional series of columns on music of anime?
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

I was at the Lantis 15th anniversary Matsuri this weekend, and whilst those kinds of events aren't really my kind of thing (and oh god the heat!) it was still enjoyable. The crowd really got into things, especially for stuff like iM@S, Love Live and Star Anis. Of course there was also Old Codex and Granrodeo for the ladies.

I'd mainly gone for Chihara Minori and fhana to be honest though. I wasn't expecting the Chihara Minori + Jam Project combo later on.

Biggest surprise of the weekend was Milktub singing 'Koi no Mikuru Densetsu'.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:

I was at the Lantis 15th anniversary Matsuri this weekend, and whilst those kinds of events aren't really my kind of thing (and oh god the heat!) it was still enjoyable.
I wasn't expecting the Chihara Minori + Jam Project combo later on.

Thanks for the report, I only see what's on twitter or the Lantis or artists' blogs. Masami Okui's duet with Minori Chihara on a youtube clip from Animelo Summer Live 2008 was the previous closest I'd seen to Minori performing with JAM Project, although they have overlapping backing musicians.

I noticed that tickets are still available as of a day or so ago for Minori Chihara's 3rd August concert at Kawaguchiko Stellar Theater, probably due to their being Nana Mizuki and ELISA concerts on the same day in the Kanto area (that's fan overlaps for you).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Maybe ANN could do an occasional series of columns on music of anime?

We've repeatedly tried various flavors of music columns, articles and interviews over the years, and nobody reads them, so we've pretty much abandoned the idea at this point. One of those things where we wanted to do it, and enough people told us they wanted it, but once we actually do it, nobody comes and reads. Ah well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6