• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Shuttered American Anime Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
I know that it's already been stated that ADV's not quite dead, but I'd like to add that Elfen Lied was recently re-released under ADV's name Wink
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I still get bummed over the name change from Pioneer to Geneon. I still have some the VHS.... not to mention a dub music cd or two that I still listen to.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Melchiorgk wrote:
Honestly, I still get bummed over the name change from Pioneer to Geneon. I still have some the VHS.... not to mention a dub music cd or two that I still listen to.
I'm disappointed they never went all the way to "Genom."
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that TokyoPop were doing print on demand stuff. I knew they were still around, but had no idea what exactly they were doing. Releasing anime is news to me too.

I wasn't much of an anime watcher or manga reader when TokyoPop was big, but I did know about them. Mostly through my comic book collecting, as the store I used to frequent stocked a lot of manga.

As for 4Kids, I watched Pokemon when I was a kid. I've never looked into what changes it underwent, probably because my memories of the show are good ones. Laughing

I know I saw bits and pieces of other 4Kids properties, like One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh and Ultimate Muscle.

albanian wrote:
Re: this week's poll. I'm well aware that I may be thought odd, and part of a very small minority but...

...where is the option for ''I have never watched anything even remotely Gundam in my entire life' (or at least the nearly thirty years I have been watching anime)?

I'm another that hasn't touched the Gundam franchise...though I may never do so...
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Wait, so how does this central park media/ us manga corp/ software sculptors company work? Which was the parent and how were the others related? And man did they their releases have some of the cheesiest cover art I've ever seen. Way to many quotes and garish colors. And another Tokyopop anime license was Samurai Girl Real Bout High School. BTW, despite all the hate, 4kids did introduce me to all of my childhood anime.

It was a sad day when Geneon closed shop, as they were my favorite company. They had some great licenses and some nice packaging. At least Geneon/universal is still around in Japan. How ironic that the president of my favorite distributor is now the president of my least fave company, but oh well. Bandai was also cool, shocking when they disappeared. Still want Nichijou. Its interesting thinking about what shows the defunct companies would have licensed if they were still around.

As for gundam, I haven't really seen much of any series, but I thought g gundam's mechas were cool, so that's what I chose.

Last edited by kevinx59 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
ISTR Slayers TV as Software Sculptors--which also somehow didn't end up on the list--but can't remember whether they were absorbed by CPM.
"I seem to remember" is so hard to type out...

Too many M's. (I typed "Remember" once, and that's it.)
ajh2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Per and ANN article, AD Vision, parent company of ADV Films is quite dead. Article: animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2009-09-01/what-happening-with-adv-films

Split into not 1 nor 2, but 4 different companies. I believe that qualifies as dead.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
aurorajackson wrote:
I tried looking through all the Central Park Media (CPM) titles folks kept mentioning, and NO ONE LISTED PATLABOR!!! Arguably one of the best mecha franchises out there! (OVA Series, three movies, two TV series) I even have the "new files" on DVD, which was obviously one of CPM's last works since only the first four episodes have dubs, and then they just kind of gave up on finishing it.

For anyone who hasn't seen/heard them:

Patlabor the movie ending theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adno8sRTono

Kenji Kawai live performances including Patlabor movie music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYHsy-e9JA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dWUrROX1o
(1:13:30 on second live clip for Patlabor the Movie: Into the Morning Sun)
VinceA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
Another small company missed is Super Techno Arts. They released JoJo's Bizarre Adventure years ago (2003-2004).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Wait, so how does this central park media/ us manga corp/ software sculptors company work? Which was the parent and how were the others related?

John O'Donnell founded Central Park Media in 1990, when anime on home video was carving out its own niche. They had different divisions, or rather "labels" that they stuck on all the products. US Manga Corps was the anime division, CPM Press was the manga/manhwa division, Anime 18 did hentai, and so on and so forth. Software Sculptors was founded by John Sirabella, before Media Blasters. They did anime-related software like screensavers. CPM/O'Donnell bought the company out and slapped the name on some more anime releases, like Slayers.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
John O'Donnell founded Central Park Media in 1990, when anime on home video was carving out its own niche. They had different divisions, or rather "labels" that they stuck on all the products. US Manga Corps was the anime division, CPM Press was the manga/manhwa division, Anime 18 did hentai, and so on and so forth. Software Sculptors was founded by John Sirabella, before Media Blasters. They did anime-related software like screensavers. CPM/O'Donnell bought the company out and slapped the name on some more anime releases, like Slayers.

I wonder it's be easier for a company license a title if they don't have so many labels.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder it's be easier for a company license a title if they don't have so many labels.
Why would it matter to the Japanese licensors?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Why would it matter to the Japanese licensors?

I'm not sure it would. I think though that if a company has various labels or subsidiaries, it might create confusion somehow. For example, Sentai distributes the anime DVD/BD while Section 23 licenses it and Seraphim makes the discs.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Surprised to see no CPM or even Streamline.

I think this list is supposed to be the most famous/infamous, although CPM was more famous than S'more ever was.

One error: Geneon never had Fruits Basket or Love Hina. Both are now licensed by FUNimation, but it was actually Bandai that originally had the Love Hina license (Fruba has always been FUNi).

Yeah Fruits Basket and Love Hina were not Geneon titles. I caught that error too.
Please check your sources, isn't that why ANN has the Encyclopedia!?!?

Also it should be mentioned that S'more ONLY licensed the series for dvd distribution. It was phuuz entertainment inc. who licensed, and dubbed Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and got it on Toonami. Not S'more.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to Media Blasters? I used to buy the Rurouni Kenshin TV series on VHS tapes back.... 25 bucks a pop for 4-5 episodes, and the Subtitled tapes were like 5 bucks more.

Yep, those were the days. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8