• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Shuttered American Anime Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Whatever happened to Media Blasters? I used to buy the Rurouni Kenshin TV series on VHS tapes back.... 25 bucks a pop for 4-5 episodes, and the Subtitled tapes were like 5 bucks more.

Yep, those were the days. Wink

They're...staying afloat. Despite many delays, they're still licensing stuff and even starting up in-house dubbing.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Surprised to see no CPM or even Streamline.

I think this list is supposed to be the most famous/infamous, although CPM was more famous than S'more ever was.

One error: Geneon never had Fruits Basket or Love Hina. Both are now licensed by FUNimation, but it was actually Bandai that originally had the Love Hina license (Fruba has always been FUNi).

Yeah Fruits Basket and Love Hina were not Geneon titles. I caught that error too.
Please check your sources, isn't that why ANN has the Encyclopedia!?!?

Also it should be mentioned that S'more ONLY licensed the series for dvd distribution. It was phuuz entertainment inc. who licensed, and dubbed Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and got it on Toonami. Not S'more.

Actually, Phuuz didn't license the show. Toei USA, along with another company (whose name escapes me at the moment) were responsible for getting the show dubbed and distributed on television. Phuuz was only involved in the localization and dubbing of the series. Even then, they only did part of it.

Later, the DVD distribution rights would be given to another company, Illumitoon Entertainment. However, we all know what happened there...

Seems this show is screwed to never get a proper DVD release...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

Yeah Fruits Basket and Love Hina were not Geneon titles. I caught that error too.

Yeah, and that's where the information originated from. Corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pureevil4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
No Unicorn on the new poll? How is that supposed to be fair.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Vi$ual U$A: WHAT THE fudge WERE THEY THINKING CHARGING AN ARM AND A LEG FOR ANIME? How stupid did they have to be to realize that America is not Japan? You'd have better luck getting Sting to sign with WWE than getting American and Canadian anime fans to pay the same prices as Japanese fans for their DVDs/BDs!

Urban Vision: Has anyone rescued Vampire Hunter D yet? That was a classic.

Why wasn't CPM mentioned? BOO!
Osaka2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Entertainment and Geneon shuttering really hurt from a personal standpoint. Their releases still make up the majority of my collection. Not to mention that a number of good series that they released (or were going to release) still haven't been rescued (Kyoto Animation/Kadokawa series, Nichijou, Karin, Ichigo Mashimaro, etc.).

Joe Mello wrote:
I'd argue that if it wasn't for 4Kids' acquisition of Pokemon, many of the users on this forum would be doing something else.

CatSword wrote:

4kids did do good dubs - the dubs for Shaman King and Ultimate Muscle, for example.

Can't have a discussion about 4kids without individuals stepping up to blindly defend their atrocious, reprehensible work.

Quote:
And a lot of purists seem to forget they weren't the demographic for these shows.

People asking and requesting that shows not be gutted and edited in order to cater to groups that they were never designed to play towards (Tokyo Mew Mew, Yu-Gi-Oh) does not make them "purists". It makes them fans of the original show who want to have it available locally without it being screwed and chopped.

That is not unreasonable.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:
CatSword wrote:
And a lot of purists seem to forget they weren't the demographic for these shows.

People asking and requesting that shows not be gutted and edited in order to cater to groups that they were never designed to play towards (Tokyo Mew Mew, Yu-Gi-Oh) does not make them "purists". It makes them fans of the original show who want to have it available locally without it being screwed and chopped.

I think it's more disturbing the idea that just because the target demographic is children that it's acceptable to produce a low effort, low quality product. How is animation going to progress as a medium in the west if people, some anime fans included of all people, think that just because something is for kids that it doesn't have to be high quality? It's so unfortunate to see people continue to echo this idea of just because it's for kids it's okay to be bad.

I guess that's just a difference between Japanese and western mindsets. In the west, companies know kids will watch anything with the right brand name or marketing push so they don't have to put any effort into the products. In Japan, they put as much effort into their product in hopes kids will watch it. I can always appreciate the later. It's no doubt what helps kids shows get so massive in Japan with older audiences to the point a lot of the time more adults are watching them than children.

-Stuart Smith
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

Yeah, and that's where the information originated from. Corrected.

Oh! Then I apologize, sorry to get snippy. Love the List column.
Glad you always seem to find a few odd and obscure shows to put on the list.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Entertainment was definitely the loss that hit hardest for me personally. They released many of my all-time favorite anime series, and their catalog included a lot of good sci-fi and fantasy, particularly a bunch of Sunrise-produced shows. For my money, they had the highest gold-to-crap ratio of titles across their entire catalog out of any domestic distributor. I went a bit buy-happy with their titles during and after their closure, and at this point I feel like I have to own 2/3 of the shows they ever released on DVD. Shocked

Geneon was a big loss too, as they'd put out several all-time greats as well. I think what I miss most about them was their usage of New Generation Pictures for many of their dubs. As far as I'm concerned, they were the top of the heap when it comes to dubbing studios, and it's a real shame that they're not involved in the industry anymore.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I was sad when Bandai decided to withdraw from the US anime market. However, I have a theory as to why they did it. They probably wanted to focus on their core toy business here in the States.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Did Urban Vision ever own the rights to Akira? I saw quick clip of it on one of their old Wicked City VHS's.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with 4Kids. It has a reputation that I don't think it really deserved. I thought that they had really talented voice actors who did a good job with whatever material they were given,no matter how lousy it was. Say what you want about the company,they did have good eye for talent. You have to give them that.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I was sad when Bandai decided to withdraw from the US anime market. However, I have a theory as to why they did it. They probably wanted to focus on their core toy business here in the States.

There's an ANNcast that covers Bandai Entertainment's exit from the North American anime industry.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
I think losing Bandai was the biggest blow to me. All those gundam shows still waiting for a license rescue, Haruhi, Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if Gundam never gets rescued in NA at all Confused
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see a list like this with manga publishers. I will always be sad that Del-Rey is gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8