• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adding DVD / Blu-ray to My Collection

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
I have some titles on DVD and Blu-ray that are not listed in the My Collection feature of anime releases here when I go to look them up. Is there a way to add them myself or get them added by the staff?

Didn't see this in the sticky above about submitting info so I'd thought I'd ask.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have some titles on DVD and Blu-ray that are not listed in the My Collection feature of anime releases here when I go to look them up. Is there a way to add them myself or get them added by the staff?

As long as the product is present on one of more of the ANN affiliate sites like Amazon and we have the licensor and/or distributor correctly listed, go to the Encyclopedia page of the title in question and choose "Release" from the "can you contribute any of the following?" drop down and follow the wizard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:

As long as the product is present on one of more of the ANN affiliate sites like Amazon and we have the licensor and/or distributor correctly listed, go to the Encyclopedia page of the title in question and choose "Release" from the "can you contribute any of the following?" drop down and follow the wizard.

"This doesn't appear to be a valid page; could not find flag,urlcode,refcode"
....appears when I tried to enter the URL to Rightstuf's page for Gundam Unicorn Vol. 7 like it said, which is here for reference, and that's the only place that sells it. Amazon lists it but says it doesn't provide a UPC.

Same situation for Rightstuf's now delisted Time of Eve Blu-Ray.

Do you want the UPCs 'cause I can just go get them directly off my copies, or take pictures for proof even, but I'm not able to continue through the wizard because of the error, maybe you can since you're an editor.

Otherwise it's working for the other stuff I've tried like the missing volumes of the Planetes manga, thanks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, that answer was for the general case, but there are always exceptions....

A TRSI listing will never work on it's own because their pages don't provide the UPC.
If you have the UPCs I can probably add them manually. It looks like the UPC is being used at the item ID on TRSI for ToE do I can do that one now.

..I say that, but we don't have a licensor. Oh, and it's an EAN not a UPC (which is fine since that's the case for all the official imports from Aniplex etc, but does mean it has to be added manually). For now I'll add Directions as a distributor and we can sweat the details later.

I still got "could not find flag,urlcode,refcode" when trying to add TRSI, but my usual trick of taking the URL from another release and editing it worked (i.e. http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/browse/link/t=item,c=right-stuf,v=right-stuf,i=4560312680117,a=anime-news-network).

For Gundam Unicorn.. I can generate the UPC from the SKU easily, and once I put that into a skeleton entry the system should pick up the RightStuf listing and fill in the rest.
Well, I had to point it at the RightStuf listing manually, but it's done now.

--edit--

The reason the Amazon listing for Gundam Unicorn didn't work is it is actually the the Japanese release (EAN 4934569902924).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks for all that. Cool

I won't make you add my other JP imports since they were not brought over here in any official capacity by a distributor like Gundam UC and Time of Eve, they just happened to be Japanese BD with English subtitles on them.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I would love to add my own imports, but sadly the system doesn't really allow for it since you have to select an English distributor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1